My receiver (rx-f10) gets almost NO FM reception!?

TheCreamFilling

« on: 27 Dec 2004, 07:13 am »
and my $7 clearance bin clock radio get's perfect FM reception.

I just bought the JVC rx-f10 receiver to drive mostly music from my pc. The music from my pc is great but the radio reception is absolute crap. I mean...I can barely discern what's coming through each station except the obvious static.

I like to listen to lots of radio talk shows so I've gotta have good FM reception and I was hoping this receiver would be able to help out.
Anyway, I'm using that string-like fm antennea that came with the receiver. What should I do?

Oh yeah, I dont think the location in my house is playing a role with my bad reception problem because all the cheap clock radios in my house get great reception no matter where they are.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2004, 08:15 am »
Could be the location of your string cheese antenna.  I'd tinker with that.  You can buy an antenna if you think reception at your house is good in general.  $10 will get you in the door at fry's or radio shack.

TheCreamFilling

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2004, 01:47 am »
I did play with the location of the antenna. I get the clearest reception when I coil up the wire and hold it in a certain position, but the position is so awkward that I'd never be able to keep it there. Clarity aside, I get the WRONG stations. I was trying to tune into my favorite FM talk station, but some other slow jazz came through almost as clear as a bell, and I have no idea what station it is picking up.

Do you know what kind of FM antenna is the best? Like, what physical properties it should have or what configuration it should be in? I looked online for FM antennas and they seem to come in all types of shapes and sizes.

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2004, 02:44 am »
Try a Terk amplified antenna from Best Buy for 30 bucks. The best way to go is a rooftop though. One can be had from RS for about 25 bucks and will work best.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2004, 03:54 pm »
forget the terk; a cheap dipole will most always outperform a terk.  if ya wanna try a cheap amplified antenna, go on ebay & look for the radio shack/archer models that had the tunable feature - you actually have to tune the antenna from 88-108, to match the station yure listening to.  and, of course, a roof-mount directional fm yagi will always be best for antennae.

but, from what yure saying, it sounds like the tuna in yer receiver is toast.  get an fm tuna & hook it up to one of the receivers' line inputs & forget about the receivers' built in unit.  go to fmtunerinfo.com, & find one that suits yer needs, both performance & price-wise.  excellent md-108 crushing sound can be found for ~$100-$500, depending on features/styling, that yure looking for.   :wink:

doug s.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2004, 04:24 pm »
I have a Terk FM Pro antenna. It's mounted on an inside wall close to the ceiling. Never got around to mounting it outside. Works just fine. Without it I don't get any FM reception.

Cheers
             Charlie