Rather than buying the BIX...

Mike D

Rather than buying the BIX...
« on: 26 Dec 2004, 11:55 pm »
I've decided to upgrade each part of my ProJect 6.1.  So far the results have been overwhelmingly positive.  Do any of you have advice or guidance on how to go about finding parts to use in  this journey?  Here's what I've done and what I'd like to do:

Done:
New, identical motor with washers above and below the motor's bracing.  This lead to quieter everything as well as improved speed.  There is still a bit of speed instability due to the spindle.

New counterweight made up of harwared store aluminum.  This made an incredible difference.  

Cleaned and re-oiled the spindle.  This lead to another big jump in quality.  While inspecting the spindle, I noticed two spots where the metal has been rubbed rough.  This leads to audible speed problems.  I have already emailed ProJect and Music Hall to see if either of them can send me a replacement sub platter.

Reset the alignment, VTA, and tracking force.  Once I finally got all of this right, the difference was as major as changing the counterweight.  There is less surface noise and far more information coming through the soundstage.  

I've tried blue tack on the arm and counterweight.  After trying several different amounts and placements, it seemed best when the blue tack was only on the counterweight and on the aluminum screws that hold the cartridge in place.

What I'd like to do:
I have already oredered Cardas internal wiring to go directly from the Grado Sonata to the preamp.  It should be at my house Monday or Tuesday.

I'd like to replace the damaged spindle/sub platter.

I'd also like to replace the platter with ProJect's new sandwich/vinyl platter.

I'd also like to install the new ProJect 9c tonearm if I can find one for cheap.

If the replacement of the spindle does not fix the speed problem, I guess I'll have to consider a better motor.  This could get ugly because the motor would have to be the same size or I'd have to learn more about the fine art of fabricating/altering parts to fit.

I'd like to know if improving the power cord will have an influence on the sound.  

I may also use some rope caulk to dampen the vibrations of the springs that suspend the platter.

WHY?

After drooling over the BIX and researching other tables/arms/deals/cartridges/etc, it seemed to me that the number of people who are scepticle of this table are increasing.  It also became clear that, while the BIX's price is great, $745 is still more money than I should spend if I can improve my own player as much as I already have.  The goal is to be happy, not to have the "best" record player.  Improving my own player has lead to happiness, pride, and new tweaking skills.

My question:
What can I do next and where can I get the parts for this not-so-popular record player?

Many thanks and happy break time!  :-)

Mike