What needs fixing the most?

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
« on: 26 Dec 2004, 05:25 pm »
Hi guys!

I am trying to get a nice little audio system set up in my new appartment, but I am lacking of some things.

I have a nice headphone setup (Grado SR225 --> Perreaux SHX-1 rev .05) but I don't want to listen to headphones ALL THE TIME, because I know it will seriously damage my hearing.

Speakers are a little better for these things, as I know.

So, I have a new Goldring GR1 turntable which I really love. It is going to an old, sevnties receiver (Pioneer SX-450) which outputs approximately 18 watts per channel in 4 ohms. I have Ohm model B speakers hooked up to that receiver.

If I had to upgrade on thing, should I rather upgrade the receiver/amp or the speakers? I have been told by my pro audio shop accross the street that the Ohm B speakers were some of the best speakers for the home he'd ever heard (of course, in reason - speakers "meant" for the home). I think that the presentation of the speakers as far as dynamics and sonics go is pretty close to my headphones, but they aren't nearly as exciting or full and rich.

I know that this is probably a speaker problem, but what do you guys think would best help me out here? I don't want to spend much more than two hundred dollars, so I figured I could always get a better amp and then wait until I have enough money for some okay speakers. Afterall, two hundred dollar speakers are... well... two hundred dollar speakers! :)

So any helps in regard to this problem is greatly appreciated! Thanks to anyone who gets back to me on this.

Andrew

Adarsh

« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2005, 02:36 pm »
I guess firstly you could start by asking fewer questions. :lol:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2005, 09:22 pm »
Although I am not familiar with your Ohm speakers, I recall hearing Ohms, dont know which model, many years ago in a dealers showroom. As I recall, and I may be wrong, Ohms typically are a difficult load for an amp, and not paticularly efficient. I'd say an amp upgrade would make the most difference. It is possible to get a reasonably good amp on the cheap. For example I picked up a pair of Kenwood KMX-1000's for $170.00 each a few years ago from an online retailer on close out. They are good amps despite the mass market Kenwood name. I picked up a Hafler DH220 for $100 once. Keep your eyes open.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2005, 04:43 pm »
The SX-450, while a nice vintage receiver, is severly under powered to use with the Ohm B speakers.

Ohm suggests a minimum of 25 watts to drive them.

I would say one of the newer digital receivers, such as the JVC RX-F10 or  the Panasonic SA-XR50 would be a better match and give you the dynamics you find lacking in the Pioneer.

Neither of the newer receivers have a phono section BTW. You would have to go to an outboard phono preamp.

showtime

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2005, 08:34 pm »
aman...  have you seen Perreaux's new baby amplifier?

http://www.perreaux.com/product.php?idp=51

25W and I would suspect that it's similar to the sound you are used to with their SXH1 via your headphones.

It doesn't have a phono stage, so you'd need an outboard one...

Let us know your thoughts if you give it an audition.

peace