Art D/IO question...

ThomasW

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jan 2003, 06:52 pm »
Thank you, to whomever emailed me with a link to this thread.

I registered and posted so my IP address is now logged in the server and can be compared to that of the person trolling as thetruth.

Wayne, you've got mail.

Since my kitchen looks like the DMZ I don't have the time or energy to do any posting other than those required for the forums I moderate

Regards
Thomas

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Art D/IO question...
« Reply #41 on: 2 Jan 2003, 06:52 pm »
Ah, I forgot about the Hawk.  I remember really wanting to hear it, but lost touch with ThomasW and Dennis (mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!)

Anyway, if we do have another large DAM get together, I'd be totally up for it.  Keep me in the loop  :!:

Pez

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #42 on: 2 Jan 2003, 07:52 pm »
can we restrict "thetruth" to posting only in fight club for a while? That makes sense to me.   This way if he wants to bad talk anyone he's in my house and I can set him  straight if need be :nono:  :x  :nono:

Tyson

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #43 on: 2 Jan 2003, 08:28 pm »
Interesting that both JayS and I request some facts from thetruth, and his reply sidesteps both requests.  I'll stop replying until he actually says something.

Wayne1

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #44 on: 2 Jan 2003, 08:33 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
Judging from the information he has dispenced, I believe thetruth is none other than ThomasW.

It appears that my assumption about ThomasW was wrong.

I do offer my most humble apologies to ThomasW for thinking that he would stoop to the level of this troll.

Tyson

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #45 on: 2 Jan 2003, 08:36 pm »
I'm glad it's not Tom too.  His posts can sometimes be curt, but not of a dismissive or condescending nature.  And more importantly, he (Tom) will post facts to back up his posts.

Ferdi

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #46 on: 2 Jan 2003, 11:40 pm »
Hi thetruth,

It is refreshing/stimulating to have someone posting from a different perspective. However, since joining AC you haven't posted under nor revealed your real name. You also haven't built your credibility in any way. Some obvious ways in which others have done that: Posting equipment reviews, participating in shootouts, participating in face-to-face events and generally being helpful to other posters.

As many of your posts are at odds with other reported experiences and mostly negative, you can expect requests for more information on your experience in the first instance and negative feedback in the second if no information is shared.

I would like to see the listening tests proposed and how your view differs from others. We may learn something.

Jay S

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #47 on: 3 Jan 2003, 01:11 am »
Quote from: thetruth
Jay S.

Given that you say that you have been in audio for years and have significant design experience under your belt, we would really appreciate your insights on what constitutes good design (lots of things to talk abou there) and on which components you particularly like.
The clique' mentality that dominated HD is now permates AC. Unless one feeds with the clique' one has no cedibility. LOL.....

As for me, I just call them as I hear them. My life doesn't demand consentual validation.

The Truth,

You disappoint me.  While you talk about having so much experience, many of your comments seem to be coming more from the peanut gallery.  I don't think criticizing popular products or by calling into question my credibility is very helpful at all.  Mostly what I see in your posts is an attitude of superiority.  You will note that I have been pretty open about the areas that I am not happy about with regard to some of the products that I use or have auditioned.  Some clique, we can't even talk a consistent line.   :roll:  

Please take into account what Ferdi has posted.  While you may feel you are above needing to establish your credibility, its a simple fact that this is a social necessity.  Looking back a year or so, ThomasW was greeted by some skepticism when he first joined HD but then he helped us to understand his background and perspectives, and as a result his posts are viewed in the proper context by members.

fredgarvin

thetruth
« Reply #48 on: 3 Jan 2003, 02:41 am »
Hey, a man can disagree without upsetting the sewing circle can't he? Can anyone compare the DIO to the musical fidelity x24k? I have been using a Marantz cd4000 and would like relegate it to transport status, although I do think it sounds pretty good. I like the x24k but the buzz on the modded art is pretty consistant.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Art D/IO question...
« Reply #49 on: 3 Jan 2003, 02:41 am »
Hey, great to see you here, TW.  I would say to all concerned that he's a class act and has probably fielded more technical questions for me than all other posters combined at HD, and his advice has always been spot on.

BTW, to me "soundstage" and "imaging" are the least of my concerns where speakers are concerned.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want a vague sound, but I've never heard the type of hyperlocalization at any acoustic or elecric musical performance that is common in hi-fi.  I put a higher premium on transparency, speed, midrange clarity and "air".

Haven't had the chance to hear the Maggie 1.6's, but they get near-legendary word of mouth support and I find them pretty interesting.

cjr888

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #50 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:41 am »
Would love to hear anyone's comments regarding effect on soundstage with the modified DI/O -- whether in width/depth increase, forwardness increase, or increase in specific image size.  Curious to understand exactly what was meant by this effect, and if others would agree.

But since this thread isn't talking about the DI/O that much anymore....

1) Regarding hardware comparisons -- frankly I don't care if a $200 unit compares with a $30k unit or vice versa.  If we're speaking specifically of sound, we are speaking specifically of sound, and value does not matter.

Value sure makes me happy as I'm not independently wealthy, but unless a write up is specifically comparing components for value, this has no bearing on a comparison of sound.  I like when reviews seperate value comparison and sound comparison rather than a Consumer Reports type view.

Its alright to have a final view on what works in reality, as cash is involved in most people's reality, as long as the more specific attributes are covered.

2) I found The Truth's original comments opinionated, but not necessarily a troll.  I believe it borders on a troll simply because the mention was in a forum in which there are a high number of common product owners.  A 'need for superiority' was mentioned a couple times, but frankly the two pages of responses to someone's opinion seemed like more of a 'need for superiority' than anything.

My opinion and my opinion only -- response to a troll is more annoying than the original comment.

3)  Ideas like this are what will draw me away from this board -- I see it somewhat like peanut gallery moderation.

can we restrict "thetruth" to posting only in fight club for a while? That makes sense to me. This way if he wants to bad talk anyone he's in my house and I can set him straight if need be.

4)  

It is refreshing/stimulating to have someone posting from a different perspective.

Please, please, please encourage.

However, since joining AC you haven't posted under nor revealed your real name.

Is this a requirement?  I didn't realize that anyone knew mine.

You also haven't built your credibility in any way. Some obvious ways in which others have done that: Posting equipment reviews, participating in shootouts, participating in face-to-face events and generally being helpful to other posters.

This is nice and all, but first off, the site is brand new!  Its still a first date!  Didn't realize you could build credibility that quickly.

The face-to-face events and shootouts and all that are really nice for the people that have the time to do it, and also for the people in proximity to each other.  There's various little cliques and there's various little friendships.  This is terrific, and I for one appreciate people sharing their experiences.

I have never been to any audio event, shootout, or any such thing, nor has there been one near me.

This is why I participate in these forums!  Its the web!  Sharing of information and communication regardless of where you are!

I don't think criticizing popular products or by calling into question my credibility is very helpful at all.

I actually love to hear people criticizing popular products -- its nice to know that someone, anyone has an issue or dislike with a sound.  

5)

I've heard several (including stock and 'famous maker' units in various stages of modification). All created a fat bloated surreal/hyperreal soundstage when used in true high-end system (this means gear in a different league from nOrh, VMPS etc.)

This 'in your face' soundstage presentation is appealing to the neophyte listener/ audiophile want-to-be. So they write glowing online reviews and unfortunately their word tends to be taken as 'gospel'.

Granted folks who own the above product or products get pissy as they are are owners of those products, and we tend towards being fanatics in the audio world, but the one attribute I remember most from the DI/O was the feeling of things being hyperreal and 'in your face' -- right or wrong, good or bad, you may like it, you may not.

6)

I'm just suggesting consideration of other DACS. You don't need an 'uber' system to hear the differences. As for the RM40s they are easily bested at 1/2 the price by a pair of Maggie 1.6's with a sub.

First line -- greatly encouraged.
Second line -- opinion.  You'll gain a gang on your side with the default comment, or said in reverse -- just depends which board you're on.  

7)

The clique' mentality that dominated HD is now permates AC. Unless one feeds with the clique' one has no cedibility. LOL.....

This I unfortunately agree with.  Regardless, I'm here, will read, will listen, and contribute if possible.  Sometimes people in agreement, sometimes folks disagree, sometimes they freak out.  Hopefully I personally will not be lynched.

[/quote]

doug s.

• makin' music
Art D/IO question...
« Reply #51 on: 3 Jan 2003, 06:47 am »
frankly, i *am* interested in a $200 product that can play w/the big boys, sonically.  cuz i *can't* afford a mega-kilobucks digital playback system doesn't mean i don't want someting that *sounds* like one!  but, i am also interested in hearing about the latest & greatest.  i don't care if my $200 p.o.s. art di/o dac, that happens to sound fantastic, gets its butt kicked by something else - bring it on!  after all, it's better sound in my home that i'm interested in, not bragging rights on some chat forum.  i *am* certainly interested in hearing more about scott nixon's new toob-dac! :) $350 plug-n-play is something i could afford, for redbook cd playback!  w/the current state of indecision in the digital software market, spending any more seems kinda silly, imo...  :wink:

ymmv,

doug s.

fredgarvin

dio dac doo dah
« Reply #52 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:12 pm »
CJR888, I couldn't agree more. Critical thinking demands analysis, not consensus. And half a dozen people patting each other on the back do not make an interesting web-site. Or informative.  Doug S., I also am waiting for more info on Scott Nixons' DAC! :P

audiojerry

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #53 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:19 pm »
You mean no one has done a comparison between the Modwright Level 2 Perpetual Tech. P-3a and the latest smart DIO?
Would anyone be interested?

JohnR

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #54 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:22 pm »
I'm interested in Scott's DAC too. Doug, do you want to form a clique so we can validate each other?

;-)

JohnR

Rocket

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #55 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:34 pm »
hello,

i agree with most of the comments from crj... and don't think that "the truth" is a troll, he probably has strong opinions which is fine.

i tend to read reviews from other ppl with interest, but do i believe everything they say, sorry i don't.  the only ears that i trust are my own, i find that when some ppl say this product is a huge improvement in reality it is minor.

i bought the perpetual technologies dac (standard) and have compared it to my pioneer pds 507 which has a clock modification and the pt dac is better but only slightly.  i also believe that my system is high resolving and can detect most improvements.

anyway just my 2 cents worth :mrgreen: .

regards

rod

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Art D/IO question...
« Reply #56 on: 4 Jan 2003, 03:15 am »
I have to chuckle at the complaint that thetruth shouldn't "criticize populare products" here:  that's the whole reason d'ete of sites like this!  I guess whether a guy is a troll or not depends on whos ox is getting gored.  It's funny to see someone instantly crucified for insinuating another product could best the RM 40, yet VMPS fans often make similar claims on many "more established" sites concerning B&W, a very well respected hi end company with a long and distinguished pedigree of critically well recieved speakers.  Hey, no knock on the speakers, maybe the VMPS are better, but doesn't this strike anyone else as at all humorous?

Creditility in this context, though, of course isn't like it would be on another site.  Sure, this site may technically be new, but it was created specifically to be a "colony" where settlers disillusioned with the downward spiral of HD could rebuild the community.  In that sense, guys like Tyson, Marbles,  Wayne, Dan Higgins, etc have a track record with us, and we have learned to trust them.  'Truth will have to do more that tip of over all the sacred cows and stir people up before he's got any "cred" here.

I likewise agree that with over four decades of industry expertise under his belt, 'Truth outta own up to his "legacy".  Sure, it's a free 'Circle, but if I was to make some tall claims and attempt to back it up by claiming expert status, I'd better be  prepared to walk the walk or be prepared for everyone to call bullshit.  ThomasW is a classy example of a guy that does just that; when he says something he backs it up solidly with the evidence.

This topic has gone right off the rails, but it's been a lot of fun!

ABEX

Why I bought a smART DAC
« Reply #57 on: 12 Jan 2003, 02:49 am »
The Truth's truth is not really truth!

If you look at the Price to performance ratio then getting a Modified ART DAC makes alot of sense.

The reason I bought mine is because of the price.There is no better unit out there for the $$.I have an old Phillips CD-80 that was in dire need for an updated DAC.

There are only 3 other choices(Pet.Tech,Channel and one mentioned in this thread)and 2 would have to be purchased used. Not that used bothers me as most all my gear is used,but It has lost ground in the technology update whereas Wayne has kept currwnt by updating his components.

The last thing I will look to acquire is a replacement to the Wall Wart.but I can live with the Stick one for awhile.

There is another unit being touted at CES but it is 3X's the price of the Modified ART.

The crits that I have read of the unit are really not substantiual and the selling point for me was it being favored by a speaker designer that got Beat Sound at the Show last year and is close this year again.That is pretty heavy validation for buying the unit.  BC tried 8 DAC's that were more expensive then the ART and Stereotimes tested it also with positive results.They cannot be all wrong.

I want to see a shootout of affordable DAC's with Associated Equiptment including Cables being used plus Bench Test of the units to see what the differences might be.

Until then I am satisfied  with the smART DAC.

Happy Listening here!

Den

75-Ohm Terminator
« Reply #58 on: 12 Jan 2003, 10:40 am »
Quote from: Marbles
If you go to radio shack they have two peices that you need to screw together to create the cap, also I think Cardas makes the caps as well for $5.  You can get these at www.audioadvisor.com

Do a search on HD for the exact parts needed and the benifits.  It's been too long for me to remember.

The pieces I found at Rat Shack were both male; so I had to use a female-female connector too.

Phono-to-F Adapter $2.49
#278-253

75-Ohm Coax F-Type Terminator $1.99
#15-1144
(TV Accessory)

Rocket

Art D/IO question...
« Reply #59 on: 12 Jan 2003, 12:11 pm »
hello den,

woohoo good to see you posting.  when are you going to modify that damn dio?

regards

rod