BDA-3 or PS Audio DirecStream DAC with Bridge-2

audiogurujax

BDA-3 or PS Audio DirecStream DAC with Bridge-2
« on: 11 Jan 2018, 07:01 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am in a little of indecision here, These are the facts, I am the proud owner of a nice silver Bryston BDA-3 DAC, I was using it with a Microrendu, well I decided to start upgrading and it is getting messy, I like my shelves to look nice and also The secret is on simplicity, There are so many parts on a Ultrarendu or sMS-200ultra set up, for example you need an ultrarendu, then a Nice PS then you need a nice Switch then nice Cat7 cables then a NAS and the list keep growing you also need a PC Like the I5 then the itch continues and now you want a Linear PS for the PC and you end up with a bunch of small boxes and wires in your rack.

I started evaluating other alternative and a dealer is willing to make a trade of my stuff for a new PS Audio Direct stream dac with the bridge 2 that will make everything way more simple (DAC, NAS and a Switch) but I would like to hear if anyone here have had experience that DAC. I like the Natural/Neutral sound of the BDA-3 but I have no Idea of the sound of the Direct stream DAC.

I hope someone can give me some feedback

Best,

Eric

zoom25

Re: BDA-3 or PS Audio DirecStream DAC with Bridge-2
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2018, 07:36 pm »
If simplicity is what matters to you the most, then the PS Audio might be the best option. Paul and the other PS Audio users also find the best sound via the Bridge 2 and ethernet.

Aside from me and maybe 3-4 other people with Bryston BDP's, there is barely any discussion of the networking gear, so I had to figure it out on my own. However, a lot of my results do match up with what Naim and PS Audio owners have found for what results in the best SQ.

1) Do all decoding away from the box - send PCM to the streamer. I use Roon which sends PCM. The Naim guys also prefer everything being transcoded to WAV or PCM before it gets to their box.

2) Grounded LPS for the final network switch.

3) Shielded and screened ethernet cable for the final leg. Make sure that it's grounded on one side only.

You don't need a LPS for the computer if its separated by ethernet. You also don't have to go buy an expensive switch. I use a $30 DGS-1005 (unshielded) with $5-10 Cat 6a SSTP and $60 Teradak LPS for the switch.

Also, my recommendation would be to keep the switch and its power supply and all the cables away from the audio rack. Only have the final ethernet cable going into the audio rack. You can usually get one in a colour that disappears into the room.

I agree it doesn't look nice and having to consider these things. It'd be nice if manufacturers could give us the option for fiber inputs on the streamer side. That would solve any incoming noise issues.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2018, 07:41 pm »
I purchased the PS Audio DirecStream with the Bridge and am completely blown away how good it is. 

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2018, 08:08 pm »
I did the same thing, only one box now, never looked back. I once had a Bryston BDA-1, among others, fine piece of gear as well  :thumb:

For better response, you might post this in the Discless Circle or Solid State rather than Bryston's Circle, which is their exclusive domain.

audiogurujax

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2018, 08:12 pm »
Thanks Jtwrace, I think I have buy a few things from you in the past (few enclosures and the Hypex DSP Kit BTW I am using it to DSP my Subwoofers, Te renderers solutions gets to messy to many parts to many wiring and to many lies!!! like a Cat5 lan isolotors I bough ( not mentioning name but is a top brand) that inside all it has is exactly the same small transformer that all network switches have. Yes most people dont know this but all Network switches have all their inputs galvanic isolated (is a requirement) the reason is obvious equipment connected to a switch is most likely spread in a bldg, Office, etc. therefore they have different ground path, if you don't galvanic isolate those inputs you will have a lot of problems.

I have seen so many crazy setups with renderers Like this:

NAS with Linear PS --> Modify switch with clock input and LinearPS  --> Cat5-fiber Transceiver --> fiber cable  --> Cat5-fiber Transceiver --> Ultrarendu with LPS-1 PS powered by a Linear PS --> ISO REGEN with LPS-1 PS --> Finally the DAC!

See the Issue and you still need a freaking computer with maybe another LPS lol if you want to run some stuff.

Is simply crazy I decided to explore other options 2 nights ago when I was drawing a flowchart of my goal digital front end in Visio and it was getting hard to fit all the parts and wires in one page LOL How in this world could you increase the integrity of any digital signal by having that signal jump trough 20 different hoops.

audiogurujax

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2018, 08:23 pm »
Nice thanks to everyone :)

Nice tips Zoom 25, very appreciated!

I have a D-Link TL-SG108E switch that I opened and I cover the entire inside with MU-Metal EMI absorb sheets and is powered by an Acopian A9NT2009V linear PS that only produce 0.25 mV in ripple, I heard about the grounding Technic connecting the negative of the PS to earth and I will try that tonight.