Newb Buying Used Speakers - HELP!

dannyBoyNYC

« on: 25 Dec 2004, 06:23 am »
Building my first "entry-level" hi-fi system. Already bought a Panasonic XR50, and bringing a Stanton Turntable and an old Marantz Elite CD player to the party. 90% of my music will be streamed via Slimserver on OS X to a Squeezebox to the Panasonic (uncompressed flac and high bitrate mp3s, eclectic sounds from Bach to Bowie, digital connections throughout). Now I need to scrap my barely functioning Cambridge Soundworks sat/passive sub speakers and replace them with something better (for a small NYC apartment). I found the following used items in my budget range:

Paradigm Monitor Series Compact Monitors, late 80's: $325
Monitor Audio MA-700, new: $350
B&W 601 S2 with stands, 3 years: $340

I'm not adverse to adding a sub at a (much) later date.

Anybody have any experience with these speakers in a similar system? Any notable weak spots in this system? Anything I should watch out for buying used speakers? Aesthetics and finish are very important to me.

Any advice will be most welcome.

dannyBoyNYC

Actually those nOrh's look pretty nice!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2004, 06:22 pm »
Actually those nOrh's look pretty nice! 3 or 4 drums. Are they really all they're chocked up to be?

Anyone? Talking to myself here.

:stupid:

Marbles

Re: Actually those nOrh's look pretty nice!
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2004, 06:32 pm »
Quote from: dannyBoyNYC
Actually those nOrh's look pretty nice! 3 or 4 drums. Are they really all they're chocked up to be?

Anyone? Talking to myself here.

:stupid:

I have had the Norh 4.0's in marble for the past 4 years or so.

They are in my second HT and one son's bedroom system.

My bedroom system has the same drivers in the Prism series (high WAF).

I have NO plans to change them and don't forsee any.

Adding a nice subwoofer like the Adire Rava would get you a very nice full range system cheap.

For a while I also had the ceramic 4.0's and sonically could not tell them from the marble ones.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2004, 02:44 am »
Paradigm Monitor Series Compact Monitors, late 80's: $325
Monitor Audio MA-700, new: $350
B&W 601 S2 with stands, 3 years: $340

Just want to chime in on your choices.  I'd probably shy away from the speakers you have above (except for the MA's which I have not heard) and take a different route.  Rutledge Audio (an AC member and manufacturer) makes some cool smaller speakers in your price category that will probably sound better than the ones you have listed along with some cool subwoofers.  Also, GR Research makes some kits that are around your price range.  Also, AV123 has cool deals all the time on their Rocket speakers.  The little Rocket 250's are good sounding and have nice cabinets.  Don't know if you are handy with a soldering iron but DIY may be a good option in your price category.  There are lots of guys on Madisound who are very helpful and can recommend kits that suit your listening preferences and budget.  

Not for anything, but Morel USA has a pretty  cool offer on a 3 way.  It's something like 599 delivered (free shipping) and is supposed to sound very good with a cheap twenty dollar crossover mod.  Don't know if that blows your budget but it may be an option for you.  

The Paradigm speakers you have listed seem a bit pricey for a speaker that is 15 years old.  I have seen year old Paradigm speakers selling for less on audiogon.  Also, nOrh speakers (especially used) are good bargains.  The 4's were selling for next to nothing on the used market a couple years ago.  If you can find a pair for a decent price, you may want to check them out.  Also, used ACI speakers (or new) may suite your tastes.  They make very good speakers for very competitive prices.

Good luck,

J

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2004, 03:32 am »
Agree with Jackman on the used Paradigms. Way too much. Now for recommendations, look at the Infinity Primus 150. Excellent sounding speaker for $190, new. Also, Paradigm Atom or PSB Alpha's are both excellent small speakers well within your budget. I would suggest something like the Totem Mite or the Triangle Titus but frankly, they might be a bit demanding for the rest of your system. I think you might be suprised just how good the little Infinity sounds.

brady2004

bargain speakers
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2004, 03:39 am »
I am with Jackman.

Go to the manufacturers in this Circle.   Or better still  (much much better) go to Madison for some DIY stuff.   It'd cost you a lot less than factory made units.   (labor ?  dealer's mark-up ?  advertising ?)

audioslave

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2004, 05:34 am »
Dannyboy,
Sent you a pm.....

audioslave

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2004, 05:43 am »
I would also check out the Epos ELS3....heard them at HE2004 and they sounded awesome. They are around $330 or so. Check on Audiogon.
Here is the link:
http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products.asp?logging=113&lookup=els3

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2004, 06:19 am »
Forget about the three speakers you have on the list.  You need to balance the sound, get something that will not make your ear bleed.  For the used range of around $350, I would vouch for the Epos ES11s, hard to find because they are perennially wanted.  Two way, easy load, without crossovers.  Cannot even begin to compare with the newer EPOS range out of the Chinese factory.  Older, are solidly made in the UK.  It seems to be that the newer ELS 3s, are the lower range, might match your price range, but is critical of partnering amplifier.  I never understood review of speakers, such as the the Stereophile review on the ELS3 that seems to think it is okay to partner speakers of a certain price with other, more expensive amplification and make it sound good.  The question should be will it sound good with whatever I have and that does not cost 7X more than the speakers?  The newer lines of the EPOS, especially some of the M series (higher series than the ELS ones) seem to have sporadic problems with the veneer cracking(think bad QC in the Chinese factory.)  
Other places to look at that price range is tough.  Maybe some DIY and decent drivers might suit you better.  How about the Omega speakers?  Lower range, single full range driver, fast, maybe at your price range.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2004, 06:22 am »
If you're considering the Monitor Audio's, I suggest the Bronze line.  The Bronze B2's got an "Editor's Choice Award" from TAS and are superb speakers in the price range.  I have a pair of the older Bronze 3 towers in my b-room system and they sound extremely good, especially for the price.  Can't say I've heard anything better under $600.

dannyBoyNYC

Thanks for the feedback.
« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2004, 05:19 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. There's enough research 'hear' to keep my DSL line humming for a fortnight or two. I'll try to audition a few of them (if I can find them) at some local hi-fi shops and I'll let you all know how the result sounds. (Hi-fi shops are verrrry dangerous places for me).

Thanks again for the advice - it sounds like I was heading down the wrong track 4sure! :wave:

ken

speakers
« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2004, 03:38 pm »
Go to the audioasylum.com classifieds.  there are a pair of GR-Research Paradox 1's (The updated version) for sale for $275.00 and you may be able to pick them up as the seller is in Connecticut.  These are great speakers for the $

Ken

KinPoon

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2004, 03:44 pm »
hey, goto ww.HTD.com and get their LEvEL-3 bookshelfs. Excellent mids and high for the money, however your amp section might be a little too weak for it. I have tried it a 1014tx (aka 52tx) and the pioneer just couldnt push it. Full of edgy highs, unpronounced mids, and loose bass.

Thought it was the speakers fault since it was so cheap, then i connected to my old Sansui 2chnl class a/b integreted amp...and WHOA. Kills the crap out of a Primus 150 (use to have them), sounds a lot better then paradigm atom or monitor series, and much better highs and mids then the lower range B&Ws. and for 240 shipped, i thought it was a steal. Might as well add they are 20pds EACH speaker.

Cant wait to get my parasound power amp to push these things.

dannyBoyNYC

Final (I hope) word
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2005, 03:16 pm »
Went with the nOrh 4's (lightly used, black ceramic, pretty good price). Not sure if they are even broken in properly and I don't use fancy cables - but to me they sound (and look) wonderful. Excellent imaging, natural unemphasized bass. I can hear the instruments almost as though they were playing in my room - and that's the final word for any newbie audiophile.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Peace.