Dennis Murphy's Vifa Tower

Arctos

« on: 24 Dec 2004, 02:37 am »
Anyone have experience with this speaker?  Any thoughts on the qualities of this design?

I am considering building this in lieu of the Audax-based KLS-9's that I have been working on.  The cabinet size is similar and I can't find a new pair of HM210Z0 drivers for the KLS-9 since Audax has gone out of the business of manufacturing high-end audio drivers.

Thanks,

R

Taz13

« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:24 am »
Right now I have vifa 2ways using the P21-10-08 and the 25ag3506. I put them in a 1.89 cf cabinet with bottom porting and I love the sound. From what I understand the 2 mid woofs are compareable so the sound should be close. I also happen to love metal dome tweets so I am biased towards the 25AG35-06. But for a reasonable cost they do a very good job.

Rick

Arctos

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2004, 05:10 pm »
Thanks for the info Taz,
I am awaiting a reply from Dennis Murphy on his thoughts regarding the performance of the Vifa Tower versus the Audax design I started.  Sounds like you have had good luck with a similar design.  My cabinet (already built) comes in at just under 2.2 cu.ft.  Hope this will still work out.  If I go with the Vifa option I will need to sell the other drivers/ crossover components, etc to fund the new stuff!

Regards,

R

Taz13

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2004, 05:24 pm »
Solen shows HM210Z12's in stock. Don't know if that will help though.

Arctos

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2004, 10:45 pm »
I have found the Z12 drivers on sale at a few places, but unfortunately some of the spec's are different than the Z0.  I don't know exactly what will be effected, but didn't want to take a chance.  The crossover would probably need to be modified and this is not my area of expertise.

Thanks,

R