Nuther New Guy

Scott F.

Nuther New Guy
« on: 23 Dec 2004, 02:00 am »
Hiya Guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that another lost sole found his way to the GAS circle. He goes by Caddyshack (aka Jim).

Jims into SET's, backloaded horns and (God love him) he's looking to get back into vinyl !!! He also lives on the east side (in Edwardsville).

Say Hi guys!

DeadFish

Nuther New Guy
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2004, 03:37 am »
Hey Jim!

Welcome!  You found the right crew, PLUS you live on the 'right' side of the river!  :wink:
(Honest fellas! Just look at a map.  MO. to the left, ILL. to the right! {even though I have been accused of leaning to the left...})
I live down in Collinsville, and a hopeless addict to nice sound.
I'm helplessly involved in tubes since getting my Altecs, so am sure your listening pleasures are of interest.
Glad to have more company in our own little corner of Heaven.
 :)

Regards,
DeadFish

steve k

Nuther New Guy
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2004, 03:41 am »
Welcome Caddyshack! Excellent movie btw!  :lol: Welcome to the Gateway Asylum. Pretty soon, Scott, we're gonna need membership cards and decoder rings! Looks like I'm gonna have to dredge up some more planar/high powered amp members to keep the balance. :mrgreen:
steve

electricbear

welcome jim
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2004, 03:35 pm »
Welcome to the biggest bunch of weirdos, misfits and geeks you are ever likely to meet.    or am I just describing myself?  We're a harmless bunch apart from Scott but we give him a rabies shot  once in a while just in case.

sturgus

Nuther New Guy
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2004, 06:42 pm »
Jim we are glad to have you. It is always a pleasure to find another sick pup to share the insanity with. I look forward to meeting you. Hope you can attend the next get together.
Sturgus

Scott F.

Nuther New Guy
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2004, 08:10 pm »
Ouuu, just found out Caddyshacks got a 2a3 with AER drivers in the Acousta enclosure
http://www.fullrange-speakers.com/4version/eng/kompl-e.htm
(mid way down the page and the one on the right)

Steve you're right, before long we'll need to hold meets in two different locations at the same time. God help us if everybody shows up at the same time to the same location!

Oh Steve, don't worry, before long you'll be putting your Maggies and VTLs on Agon and going for some fleapowered rig and horns :lol:

Mike D

Nuther New Guy
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2004, 08:32 pm »
This is GREAT NEWS!!  Now there are three of us within a few minutes' drive of each other: Deadfish in Collinsville, you in Edwardsville, and I in Highland.  Ocassionally and hopefully more often, Deadfish and I try to get together and listen.  Hopefully we'll be able to get you to join us.  

Very soon, I'll be inviting a few people over to my place to show off my improved vinyl playback.

I'm in the process of replacing several parts to my record player.  The results have been very exciting.  So far, I've changed out the motor, the grounding, the counter weight, the oil, and adjusted every thing I could think of including damping materials.  In the mail to me now is Cardas internal wiring long enough to go directly from the cartridge to the preamp.  Soon to be in the mail is a new tonearm, if I can find someone to sell me a ProJect 9c, and new platter, and new sub-platter/bearing/spindle, and maybe a better motor.  

When that is finished, I'll sell it and start over.  :-)  As Sturgis and Electricbear pointed out, we are all sick.  You'll love our little group of friends.

Merry Christmas

caddyshack

Nuther New Guy
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:43 am »
Folks,
     Thanks for the great welcome.  I gotta get used to the forum.   I didn't even see this set of messages until now.   BTW, my enclosures are the ones on the left on the fullrange speakers site.   I guess that will tell you how technical I am.  Let me know when any of you want to get together.  I haven't listened to vinyl in a long time - I had a Linn with a Keith Monks tonearm and Decca cartridge from the 70's but sold the setup in the early 90's - I guess I was sucked into the digital thing.  So I want to see what I am missing not having a TT setup.    

Happy New Years,
Jim

DeadFish

Nuther New Guy
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2004, 01:05 am »
Hey Jim!

If you haven't handled vinyl since the early 90's, here's todays' tip from my stupidity the day before Christmas.

"Don't pick up a full crate anymore."

:oops:

Chiropractors don't do emergency house calls.

Glad to have to have you with us though, and hopefully, you saved your old wax even if not the table.

Mike forgot to mention Gavin just another 15 minutes from me we are trying to bait into vinyl.  You might be able to assist with the 'evil deed.'

I've been sick for the holiday, but hopefully, after the first of the year we can get together and jump on some tunes and wishlists.  I'm real curious to hear your gear, and you might find something in ours that you like listening to.  :)

Hope your holiday is great!

Regards,
Bill