Tube question- Modwright 9000ES

tnewell

« on: 22 Dec 2004, 05:38 pm »
I am relatively new to tubes. Last week I purchased a pair of Amperex 7119 PQ NOS Tubes for my Modwright Sony 9000ES SACD player. Today when I fired it up I noticed a very loud "rushing" sound coming from the left channel. Normally, I have to put my ear up to the speakers to hear a very faint sound. I pulled the Amperex out and replaced them with the stock Tung Sol tubes and the sound was gone.

Is this a typical indication of a bad tube??

Thanks!

Tom

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2004, 06:25 pm »
Tom,

Try the 7119s again and play something other than a Rush CD. :)

When can you come by and check out the tubefied russtafarian room?

Vikings - Packers: Christmas Eve in Favre's personal house of horrors.  Without a healthy Ahman Green, I don't think you'll be feeling much holiday cheer.

Russ

tnewell

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2004, 06:46 pm »
Hey Russ,

Are you working on next Thursday 12/30?  I have that day off.

I had ordered a backup pair of 7119s that will be arriving today.  These tubes took the sound up another notch.  I ordered them from Upscale Audio.  
I could hear the sound right away when I walked into the room.  Very loud rushing sound like water running coming from left channel only.

Hopefully Upscale will let me exchange the tube.

Tom

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2004, 06:56 pm »
Try switching tubes from L-R.
Quote from: tnewell
Hey Russ,

Are you working on next Thursday 12/30?  I have that day off.

I had ordered a backup pair of 7119s that will be arriving today.  These tubes took the sound up another notch.  I ordered them from Upscale Audio.  
I could hear the sound right away when I walked into the room.  Very loud rushing sound like water running coming from left channel only.

Hopefully Upscale will let me exchange the tube.

Tom

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2004, 06:57 pm »
Tom,
Could you define "another notch"?  I ordered a pair of 7119 PQ's for my Modwright Platinum 999ES and am looking forward to them arriving today or tmrw.  Also, do they need to break-in for some period?  Thx,
Ted_B

tnewell

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2004, 07:17 pm »
I just tried reversing them and I'll be damned, the noise is gone. Very weird!!!  I'll just keep an ear out and see what happens but appears to be fine now.

The Amperex has all the detail that the Tung Sols have and more.  It is slighty warmer and adds a bit more weight to the sound.  I have had them in my system for a week and really like them.

Tom

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2004, 10:58 pm »
Tom, I'm working on the 30th but I'm free in the evening.  Will that work?

Russ

Replevin

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2005, 10:50 pm »
Tom,

Did you level-match when comparing with the tung sol?  I just swapped a pair of the 7119 into my modwright and noticed that they have approximately 3dB of gain over the tung sol.  I haven't decided if they are otherwise better after level-matching - still evaluating.  Would be interested in other's opinions.  

Scot

Levi

Tubes you can hear
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2005, 12:52 am »
The Amperez PQ 7119 tube should give you wider soundstaging and clearer highs.  Please check the bottom end if there is any difference.   :wink: