Best reasonable priced cartridge - Pool

rmihai0

« on: 21 Dec 2004, 03:19 pm »
This is a pool. PLease express your opinion. What is your favorite cartridge from the following:
Audio-Technica OC9 MK2
Benz Micro MC20E2
Clearaudio Aurum Classic
Clearaudio Aurum Alpha
Denon DL-103 (R)
Garrott P77
Goldring 1022 GX
Grado Platinum
Ortofon 540 MkII
Rega Elys
Shure V15VxMR
Sumiko Blue Point No.2
Dynavector 10x5

Thank you to all participants.

BobM

« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2004, 06:14 pm »
I think it's all about system matching with any cartridge. You question might be better phrased if it asked:

can you please summarize the characteristic sound of any of the cartridges in this list that you've had experience with - any please provide any comparisons to other cartdridges that you may have

on that note:

Grado Platinum high output MM type, lush, musical, warm midrange, especially good on vocals, decent bass (some may say a tad bloated), you won't notice the grain on top until you've heard a good MC cartridge in your system, can cause a hum in some systems as it gets closer to the motor due to lack of shielding, upgrading to a Sonata is worth the extra $$$

Dynavector 10x5 high output MC type, clean and extended, maybe a tad lean on the bottom, musical, a bit lush compared to many MC's, cleaner and more extended top end than the Grado (but still some minor grain evident), more precise soundstaging and sharper images too, upgrading to a 20XH is worth the extra $$$

Enjoy,
Bob

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2004, 07:24 pm »
...what BobM said. I agree 100%.

WEEZ

Carlman

Re: Best reasonable priced cartridge - Pool
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2004, 07:30 pm »
Goldring 1022 GX
Dynavector 10x5

These are the only 2 I've actually heard from your list.  I've also heard an Ortofon OM-20, Shelter-made Adcom, and Goldring 1042.

My preference is moving coils.  The grain of the Goldrings irritated me.  I like the Adcom I have but it's a little tired-sounding... not crisp and refined like the Dynavector that replaces it.  I bought the 10x5 because it was the best I could afford.  Unfortunately, the higher resolution also reveals the sounds my turntable makes.  :(   I agree with the other comments about the 10x5 in the previous post.

If I could do it over, I'd buy a Bix DIY table and the 20xh. :)

-C

electricbear

re- cartridge
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2004, 07:47 pm »
I prefer the grado sonata to the blue point, it's more musical but again as everyone else has stated, it's all about system synergy.

dogberry

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2004, 11:59 pm »
The Blue Point Special Evo III dusts any previous incarnation and to my ears sounds better than the Dyna 10x5 or the Shure V15VxMR.  These are the only carts that I've directly compared them to.

djbnh

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2004, 02:33 am »
Denon DL-103(R). Only downside was the 4 week wait.

Dynavector 10x5 sounded like crap compared to the Denon. Oh, did I mention the Denon goes for quite a bit less!  :wink: