HT Receiver Advice Requested

nature boy

« on: 21 Dec 2004, 03:45 am »
Anyone compared the under $500 HT receiver line up lately?  I am narrowing choices between the Panasonic SX-45 or 50 digital amps, the new Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K and Onkyo receiver offerings?

I have some friends ready to make a jump into HT systems.  I have speaker systems and universal players selected but am looking for recommendations on <$500 5.1 channel receiver or integrated amplifier that offers reasonable two channel sound.   Has to have the ability to drive five full range speakers cleanly, user friendly set up & operation, at least two digital coax inputs, and decent binding posts (accepts 10 guage speaker wire or banana's).  Processing - digital dolby, dts, prologic IIx and room equalization program (if possible) done well - don't really care about effects processing.

Thanks for your suggestions.

NB

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2004, 03:53 am »
What you just described wanting fits the 1014TX-K damn near perfectly. And half of your want's/requirements aren't covered on the Panny units.

My roommate got a VSX-912K a month or so back. Sounds great (especially after using the auto-room correction/speaker calibration). Has good connectivity. And even his dumb ass could use it... :lol:

zane9

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2004, 03:32 pm »
I recommend you have a listen to the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R a/v receiver. This brand flies somewhat below the radar screen in comparison to all the usual suspects, but...it's highly musical and well matched to the need for 2-channel audio.

It's a little above your price point (for example, US$649 at www.northamptonaudio.com), but the receiver punches so far above its weight that you should give it a listen. I'll also put on my flame-proof gear and say that the auto-room-correction/eq function of the popular receivers is at the top of my list of 10 Best Snake-Oil products.

J.