RPTV

jermmd

RPTV
« on: 20 Dec 2004, 01:46 am »
What is the proper viewing distance froma 56" RPTV?  Is there some rule of thumb as to the distance you should sit from a certain size screen?

Thanks guys,

Joe M.

jermmd

RPTV
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2004, 01:50 am »
I found this on AVS Forum:

Viewing distance - You shouldnt sit anywhere closer than 1.5 times the width of the screen and probably not seat any further than 2.0 x times the width although that can be more flexible

This was in regards to front projectors.  What do you think?  Is this true of RPTV's?

Joe M.

byteme

RPTV
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2004, 01:55 am »
1.5 times away is the rule I always use.  We have a 61" and sit 11' away.  It's huge and it's beautiful!

jermmd

RPTV
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2004, 01:59 am »
Thanks Byteme.  A question:
1.5 times the diagonal size of the screen or the width of the screen?

By the way, Byteme, your picture reminded me of my preamp.  I have a Philly 7A and I love it.  I wish my volume button said lovume though.  That's hysterical.

Joe M.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: RPTV
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2004, 02:01 am »
Quote from: jermmd
What is the proper viewing distance froma 56" RPTV?  Is there some rule of thumb as to the distance you should sit from a certain size screen?

Thanks guys,

Joe M.

Joe,

It depends on the technology being used (crt, dlp, lcd, etc...) and the resolution.

The better the resolution the closer you can sit and enjoy.

To make it feel like a true movie experience, you want the screen to take up a sizeable amount of your field of vision.

If I remeber correctly, yours is a CRT based RPTV.  Sit at various distances and see where you can visibly see the scan lines.  Move back from there.

George

byteme

RPTV
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2004, 02:39 am »
Quote from: jermmd
Thanks Byteme.  A question:
1.5 times the diagonal size of the screen or the width of the screen?

By the way, Byteme, your picture reminded me of my preamp.  I have a Philly 7A and I love it.  I wish my volume button said lovume though.  That's hysterical.

Joe M.

I did love the Philly! Had a 7b for well over a year.  It took a $2500 deHavilland Ultraverve to replace it!

1.5 times diagonal size is the rule of thumb.  So, for our 61 you wouldn't want to be any closer than 7 1/2 feet.  Although, as George said, if you're watching, for example, HD on one of those newer digital TVs you could sit 6' and it would still look like you're viewing through a window!

jermmd

RPTV
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2004, 04:50 am »
Well, as George suggested, I put on a reference video DVD (ROTK) and no scan lines from 9 feet.  It was so good I had to watch all the good scenes.   :lol:   Hence it took me some time to get back to the computer.

In fact I'm typing this on my HTPC right now while I listen to CD's.  I moved from about 12 feet back to 9 feet from the TV screen and I think both sound and video are better now.

Thanks,

Joe M.

rbrb

RPTV
« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2004, 12:00 am »
There are a few formulas that work. I have always taken the actual screen height measurement and X 3 would be minimum distance, X 4 would be maximum. This applies to HD ready or digital sets only. Analog sets I'd want to be farther back so I could not see the scan lines

tex-amp

RPTV
« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2004, 12:42 am »
Here is a viewing distance calculator that will likely surprise you.  I certainly was. http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

John Casler

RPTV
« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2004, 01:46 am »
I'm with George.

I like to sit as close as possible without seeing scanlines.

But like anyhthing else, it is personal preference, there is no "real" formula.

Heck when I go to a film, I sit (depending on theater) around row 5-6 smack dab in the center.  That puts you "IN" the movie.

At home on the RPTV, I sit about 7 feet from a 55" screen, and don't wear my reading glasses :o

And just a note about theaters.  Sometimes we in Los Angeles take our weather and lifestyle for granted, but another incredible thing to be thankful for is that within a 6 mile radius of where I live there are no less than 10-15 of the best movie houses in the world.

Thank you Hollywood :notworthy:  :notworthy: