Custom dustcover--learn from my mistake

Tonto Yoder

« on: 19 Dec 2004, 04:52 pm »
Audiogon has a dustcover that has been made for a Nottingham table-

Reminds me of the mistake I made when having a similar cover made (also for a Nott')---I chose an acrylic that was TOO DARK.  I looked at 2" X 2" samples in the bright showroom and picked a smoke color that I thought would be perfect. Once the box was assembled and in my listening room,  it became effectively much darker.  So much so that I can barely see the TT/ arm through the cover.  It's also difficult to lower the cover over the TT without banging the arm: if it was lighter-colored,  I could get my bearings better (it also would have helped if the cover was just slightly bigger).

My cover cost $80 at a local plastic fabricator, but I wish it was about half as light (in color) as it is.

Ulas

Re: Custom dustcover--learn from my mistake
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2005, 05:36 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
My cover cost $80 at a local plastic fabricator, but I wish it was about half as light as it is.

My TT cover cost a couple bucks and weighs a few grams. When not in use, I cover my TT with a silk scarf. It keeps the dust off when it's on the TT and doesn't take up a lot of space when it's off.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2005, 02:36 pm »
I edited my initial post to make it clear that I'm talking about "light" in color, not weight.  When I posted that  "...I chose an acrylic that was TOO DARK. ... bright showroom and picked a smoke color ..effectively much darker. .... I can barely see the TT/ arm through the cover.... if it was lighter-colored..... "
I thought there were enough clues there that I was discussing color, but apparently not.  My deepest apologies for the confusion.