What amps did the AKSA beat during your search?

aaird

« on: 6 Mar 2003, 12:25 pm »
I have read a good bit about the aksa amps, and I want to buy a kit soon, but I would like to know from some people who have heard the amp, what other high-quality amps they thought the aksa bested.  

I ask because I already have a nice Hybrid Tube/Mosfet amp, not the best but certainly not bad, and I don't want to get into a project of this size without having some assurance that this will be a significant upgrade.  So a few anecdotes on comparisons will help me a lot.

Regards

Andrew

Amp and Speakers are = Counterpoint SA 100 and Axiom M80Ti (4 Ohm, 94 db)

Thanks

andyr

Re: What amps did the AKSA beat during your search?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2003, 12:31 pm »
Quote from: aaird
I have read a good bit about the aksa amps, and I want to buy a kit soon, but I would like to know from some people who have heard the amp, what other high-quality amps they thought the aksa bested.  

I ask because I already have a nice Hybrid Tube/Mosfet amp, not the best but certainly not bad, and I don't want to get into a project of this size without having some assurance that this will be a significant upgrade.  So a few anecdotes on comparisons will help me a lot.

Regards

Andrew

Amp and Speakers are = Counterpoint SA 100 and Axiom M80Ti (4 Ohm, 94 db)

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

All I can say is ... I did have Naim 250s (3 stereo amps) driving my Maggie IIIas in an active configuration and my AKSAs absolutely blew these away!  Admittedley, I they were old Naims and i could've replaced them with new Naim 250s but this would've cost, maybe 5 times as much.

My Maggie drivers are basically 3 ohms each driver so the AKSAs are certainly able to drive these loads (they never get more than just slightly warm!).

Go for it, Andrew!

Regards,

Andy

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2003, 03:04 am »
I am in a group of 4 hi fi nuts.
We all replaced our amps with AKSA 55.
We all though that they sounded much better than our existing amps:
Audio Research Classic 60 (modded with Hovland caps)
Audio Research D115
PS Audio 200 watts
Any Yamaha home theatre amp.

Rocket

aksa amps
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2003, 10:54 am »
hello,

i've had the aksa 100 (stock) finished since january 2003.  it replaced my n.e.w. dc-66 battery powered amp which had also been modified.

this amp was the reference amp used by war audio here in perth western australia.  the owner of war audio designs speakers and sells them locally, he uses very expensive drivers/tweeters.

i was bowled over how good the aksa 100 sounded.  the n.e.w. is a great sounding amp but the aksa has better dynamics, is slightly more transparent but the best part i think the amp reproduces music more realistically than the amps i've heard.

just buy one they are very inexpensive.

regards

rod

SamL

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2003, 11:47 am »
None...I have not listen to a AKSA and I just recived my kit set.
Reason I pick AKSA - I enjoy DIY, good review, not too difficult to build, good support from the designer and builders and good user forum.

Sam

Rocket

aksa amp
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2003, 12:37 pm »
hello,

btw i forgot to mention the n.e.w. amp sold for $3000us/$6500au when they were new.

i'm not capable of diy i had hugh build the amp boards and power supply for me.  a friend hooked the rest of the amp up for me.

regards

rod