Which model?

Gilbert

Which model?
« on: 17 Dec 2004, 06:55 pm »
Hi,

Louis, I'm a friend of one of your latest dealers, Ovation Audio,  out here in Fort Collins, CO.  He is currently stocking your Grande 6's and we have been playing several of my hand built amps through them, Dynaco ST70 clone, a push-pull 2A3 amp, and a parallel SE 6V6 amp with good results.

Since I will probably buy a pair of something to add to my collection to, of course, listen to, but also to do tinkering with on future SE 2A3 and 300B projects.

I'm thinking to automatically step up to the Grande 8's to take advantage of a bigger driver for better bass, is this a good assumption with the 8's?

He currently has Maple and Cherry but I must have something more exotic if I have to order a set. So my current choice is the Blue Artic finish but I note that you have other finished too? What is the finnish that looks like Cedar? Anything else available?

What other models are coming out, I understand you have some floor standers on the way?

Do you have some advice on the best way to run a line level out from a tube amp? I'd like to include the possibility of adding a sub-woofer output to future designs.

Thanks,
Gilbert Bates

Louis O

• Facilitator
    • http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com
Which model?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2004, 03:04 pm »
Hi Gilbert,

Welcome to the forum.

This is great news. Ovation Audio just came on board as a dealer in CO. I'm really happy about this and I haer great things about the amps they are building. I'm really interested in knowing more about the 6V6.

The Grande 8s do have more bass and dynamics than the Grande 6s. They are also a little different in their presentation. The Grande 6s are more of a balance speaker that is very smoth throuout the frequency range. The Grande 8s are a bit more forward in the mids. Also the the imaging of the smaller diameter driver in the 6s is a little better. The Grande 8s forte is dynamics and bass.

The Blue artic is very is one of my favorite finishes. The other finish is Figured Red Gum. It looks great too and is wildly figured. Both are standard and no extra cost.

At the show I'm introducing a speaker with 2 4.5" drivers. The drivers are cascaded and turns out to be a 1.5 way. The only extra component is an inductor. In this theme I will introduce larger versions of this.

Subs generally come with both high and low level inputs. if your amp has no sub out, you can go with the high level connection. Some people prefer it this way.

Thanks again,
Louis

smargo

Which model?
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2004, 03:55 pm »
louis wrote
At the show I'm introducing a speaker with 2 4.5" drivers. The drivers are cascaded and turns out to be a 1.5 way. The only extra component is an inductor. In this theme I will introduce larger versions of this.

Where exactly will you be at the show - i would like to hear your speakers

Thanks,
smargo