Anyone have comments about these new monoblocks....

Christof

« on: 16 Dec 2004, 10:30 pm »
I'm considering these monos from Outlaw but would first like to hear any comments from you folks.

http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/200.html#

Thanks
c.

andy_c

« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2004, 10:10 pm »
Hi,

I've got four of these.  They are used in a two-channel setup to bi-amp a pair of VMPS RM-30's.  I updated my amplification at the same time I got new speakers, so unfortunately I can't give you a "before and after" evaluation as these are the only amps I've heard the speakers with.

The first thing I did with these was to disable the "music sense", as it worked in such a way as to give the false impression that there was a loose cable somewhere.  That problem was solved as soon as I disabled the feature and depended solely on the power switch.  BTW, the manual is available for download at the Outlaw site.  If you plan on using the 12 V trigger feature, be aware that there's a limit to the number of units that can be hooked up this way before exceeding the current limit of the preamp's 12 V trigger outputs.  I believe the manual goes into this.

Upon removing the cover, it became apparent that the unit is a "class G" design.  Namely, there's two power supplies for the output stage: a low-voltage supply and a higher-voltage supply.  For low output voltages, the low-voltage supply provides the current to the output stage.  For higher voltages, the low-voltage supply disconnects from the output stage via a diode, and the high-voltage supply provides the current for the output stage.  There are advantages and disadvantages to this design.  The advantage is greatly improved efficiency.  The disadvantage is that there's an effect similar to crossover distortion at the output voltage where the output stage collector voltage switches between the low-voltage and high-voltage supplies.  There's a series RC snubber network across the switching diode, apparently to prevent any transient nasties from this switching action at diode switchoff.  Another observation is that the filter capacitors are the smallest I've ever seen on a power amp.  However the transformer is pretty hefty.  The unit is surprisingly heavy for its small size because of this.

Despite the small filter caps on the Outlaw, I'm getting great bass from my setup.  My previous speakers were '80s vintage Magneplanar MG-III's and their bass is simply no match for the stock VMPS RM-30's.  Also, my system goes scary loud with minimal distortion.  I haven't found out just how loud, as the neighbors in my apartment complex seem to always be home when I am.  I've played some really intense Wynton Marsalis muted trumpet at high SPL, and the system just did not go harsh on me.  This is probably more a function of the improved dynamics of the VMPS over the maggies, but the amps didn't seem to be holding back the performance here.

I'm sure you can get more refined sound for more money, but at the price point they are hard to beat.