Question about DVP-7000 and DVP7700

mcgsxr

« on: 13 Dec 2004, 08:00 pm »
Hello gents, I have a quick question about these older Sony DVD players, that I cannot seem to get a definitive answer for, on the 'Net.

Can the 7000 play DVD+R discs?
How about the 7700?

Please note that I am interested in the +R specifically, there is plenty of info about the -R format.

Since I have a DVD+R burner in my computer, this is of some interest - mostly, I am interested in these as transports for my DAC, but since my system does meld HT and 2 channel, a single piece of gear that I could configure for both purposes would be great too!

Thanks,

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2004, 08:30 pm »
CanuckMark  :wink: ,

I just perused my 7700 owners manual...nothing there about +R or -R discs.  I'd think it can't play either.

Remember, we are talking ancient here...1998  :lol:

The 7000 came out after the 7700, so maybe there is a better shot at it playing what you want.

TCG

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2004, 08:36 pm »
Hey TheChairGuy, nice of you to chime in, and I appreciate the info, but this is what is confusing - I have a pdf of the 7000 owner's manual, and it does not mention either.

On DVD X-Copy's site, they list both players as being capable of playing both + and - DVD's, but other sites contradict this.  Since I do burn many DVD's, I would like to know.

I would like the 7700, but it is more dough, and I am ALWAYS working the angles!  The 7000 will absolutely do the trick as a transport for me, and they are around cheap, so I am just farming information.

I guess you don't have a DVD burner?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2004, 10:49 pm »
Quote from: mcgsxr
I guess you don't have a DVD burner?

No, I don't.....only CD-RW burner.  I haven't felt compelled to add one to my PC.  It's not a regular thing I'd need it for in my line of work...or any particular hobby-related activity.

I'm not a Luddite, just frugal  :wink:

That would be the best test of all if it works, tho.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2004, 10:50 pm »
Hey, maybe ask Steve Nugent / Empirical Audio?...he's had his hands on more of these than anyone outside of Sony. Just an idea....

Steve, ya' listening????

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2004, 12:02 pm »
For any interested, I have learned that the 7000 does play DVD+R, and CD-R's.

I have also learned that I am a cheap wanker, and most people suggest that the 7700 is worth the extra $100 or so  :lol:  :lol:

Wait, I think everyone already knew that I was a cheap wanker... :!:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2004, 01:48 pm »
Mark,

Without mods the 7700 can be bested by dozens of other transports out there for less and more money.  My old (circa 1991) Rotel RCD-965BX served transport duties before my Sony and it was better.  Better until it's Empirical Audio mod....but then, cheap wanker  :wink: , you've spent over US$1100.  The 7700, and cheaper 7000, are gold only when modded.

The RCD-965BX can be found for US$150 or so last time I checked.  Tough to find - many hold on to them.  I would think there are other bone stock transports (that do DVD+R, as well) better than the 7000...and save you a few loonies in the process  :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2004, 02:26 pm »
Right, there are likely better transports out there, and I am not after the 10/10ths of performance (NOT going to happen on my budget), I am after the first 8/10ths, which can usually be found on the cheap - especially if one is willing to own the older stuff that people liked a few years ago.

Now, let me attempt to clarify my cheapness - I am happy to buy used, to afford gear that I otherwise could not, and then spend money on the mods.  This is how I was able to afford the Mensa I have, I bought a smART used, and then bought up the chain.

My present Nakamichi CD4 does a decent job as a transport, but I am looking to combine the CD and DVD portions of my front end - the modded 7000 or 7700 could be the ticket.

Am I wrong in thinking that for transport mods, the rate is around $500 or so?  That is what the website seems to indicate.

In the end, I am simply seeking a well worn path to better sound, not the "sod cutting" path of the latest and greatest - I have not the $ for bleeding edge stuff.

That make sense?

Ron D

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2004, 03:06 pm »
don't be too sure about the 7700 being better. It does have the transport in the middle of the unit and does offer DTS but if memory serves me right the people at Secrets of HT & Hi Fidelity still preferred the 7000 to its replacement, the 7700. The 7000 is truly a great dvd machine and on S-video has rivalled all comers that I have put up against it with prog. scan. That being said the 7700 is newer and assuming average play time should last longer before it starts to have problems. I have used my 7000 as a transport into a CIA dac and a modded Museatex dac with very nice results. As a transport it does fall short of my xa9000es machine which offers up more detail, better timing and a better soundstage depth. If I were considering mods I'd probably go for the newer 7700 but if I were only considering stock machines and were to have each one of each in front of me say the 7000 @ $200 and the $7700 @ $350 I'd pocket the extra money and enjoy the machine.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2004, 04:31 pm »
Yep, makes good sense.

The level 1 & 2 mods are $500; most folks go the full monty and do the Turbomod and, most often, add the Jensen 4 pole.  It's then US$830.

Ron D is right in that the 7700 is older than the 7000 - I had it reversed.  He's also right in stating it's video prowess - it's really, really good.  The bone stock audio capability is lousy and the bone stock transport capability is fair.

Steve Nugent has looked at more of these outside of anyone from Sony and states a preference for the (modded, at least) 7700 over the 7000.  I don't know how the two compare stock....I can only say I was underwhelmed by the 7700 as a stock transport and stunned how good it became for $830 in mods.

I'm pretty cheap also Mark, but Steve's service is terrific and the results were great.  I paid $2000 to upgrade my front end with EA, and I haven't regretted it...as I have regretted other $2000+ purchases in my life.

Like KMart stock in 1999 - ouch  :oops:

John / TCG

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2004, 07:33 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Ron D is right in that the 7700 is older than the 7000 - I had it reversed.

You still have it reversed (Ron doesn't). The 7000 came out before the 7700. The 7000 was Sony's first gen top of the line model.

I remember when the 7700 came out and people weren't quite as happy with it as they were with the 7000. But that was for DVD use, not CD use.

All of the first gen DVDP's didn't sound as good as the second gen DVDP's. I'm still slightly confused as to what was going on in the hardware in the first gen machines that was corrected or improved upon in the second gen machines.

And for those that care about DVD performance, the earlier 7000's had switches in them to turn off region coding & the Macrovision circuit. So you could play discs from all regions of the world, and got a slightly better picture from not having the Macrovision introduce crap into the video signal.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2004, 07:43 pm »
Thanks for the information gentlemen, great to hear from people that have had the experience.

Now, Mr ChairGuy, the 7700 is the replacement for the 7000, and is newer.  That much I am certain of.  The 7000 had the better stock video, strangely.  Most people desire the 7700 more than the 7000, and I think that Steve suggests that the 7700 is likely a more robust unit, and might be the better unit in the end.

For me, the better unit will be the one that shows up cheaper, sooner, since I make the assumption that both are good, once modded.  Now, saving up the $$ for the mods will be the hard part, since things evolve so quickly...

Thanks again boys,

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2004, 12:55 pm »
For any interested, I have received conflicing information about the 7000 and the ability to play DVD+R.  Some say no, some say yes, some say SOME of the time...

Ahhh, the joys and wonders of rooting through the older stuff eh!

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2004, 06:24 pm »
Quote from: mcgsxr
For any interested, I have received conflicing information about the 7000 and the ability to play DVD+R.  Some say no, some say yes, some say SOME of the time...

I'd guess that has to do with laser alignment issues. The ones that are playing +R's are still aligned well. The ones that are playing them sometimes are getting out of alignment. And the ones that aren't playing them have the laser too far out of alignment to read the +R's.

I don't know what a replacement laser runs on a Sony. But I do know that Sony prices their replacement parts EXTREMELY high. They seem to rather have you buy a new unit rather than repair one.

While it probably doesn't mean so much, having a laser replaced on a Pioneer DVDP runs between $200-$250 on average.

tanchiro58

Upgrading the superclock of DVP-9000ES
« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2006, 07:53 pm »
Hi,

Anyone knows where can I upgrade or purchase the upgrading clock for Sony DVP-9000Es? Thanks for help. :o

sl_1800

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2006, 08:21 pm »
I have a Sony S7000 and it has never played any dvd + or - r's.