GR Paradox 1's are as good as Better Than New

DrGizmo

GR Paradox 1's are as good as Better Than New
« on: 27 Aug 2017, 04:45 am »
Who knew that a moderate investment in a (at the time no-name) $400 kit would outlast three amplifiers to become the foundation of a pseudo 5.1 system that sounds phenomenally good. Just a few years after I got the the Paradox 1's, Danny offered a series x-over that made an already great pair of speaker into something all together indescribably smother, and point source like.  Only vintage Tannoy's convey the point source image better, but cost much much more, if you can find them.  Of coarse the P1's need assistance to match the LF performance of even the smallest Tannoy,
The "Eaton".  An NHT powered 10" sub provides this duty.  This year I added an open baffle MTM center channel for video vocal imaging (Peerless mid bass drivers + a Morel tweet), along with surround satelites (NHT Super Zeros).  All this powered by an NAD C715 and an ADS PQ8.  Not exotic by any means but the Paradox 1's are easy to drive without high-end cost prohibitive gear. I recently had a "Bourne Legacy" movie night where the sound was jaw droppingly terrifying. My normally chatty guests were deer in the headlights quiet.  They're still trying to figure out how a $1.2K system could sound so high end.  One of my friends was stairing at his shoes, shaking his head, disbelieving that these Paradox 1's out perform his $14K high end speakers. There's something to be said for an optimally designed speaker that makes it so difficult for other manufactuers to match, no less improve upon, no matter how much money they thrown in to the mix. Of coarse taking the initial chance on these speakers was a true stroke of luck.  The fact that sound of these speakers haven't changed is astounding.  I think these are the only 'vintage' speakers I know that are IMHO "Better Than New". 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: GR Paradox 1's are as good as Better Than New
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2017, 01:02 pm »
Welcome DrGizmo :thumb:

DrGizmo

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2017, 01:06 pm »
Dr Gizmo here, apologies for jumping in with the 'vintage' Paradox 1 thread w/o an intro.  I'm an EE working near MIT, and a closet audio geek with four sound systems, three at home and one at work - all with turntables carrying either Nagaoka moving permalloy or Ortofon moving coil carts.  In the living room is the aforementioned NAD C715 / GR Paradox 1 system. The upstairs workshop has custom built tube gear (6DJ8 RIAA preamp, 6SN7/MOSFET 22wpc amp) sourced with a custom built Acrylic TT / Roksan Nima tonearm  (Ortofon LYS MC cart). The speakers are made with ADS / Morel drivers.  I've also built a set of open baffle speakers with L Cao FR 8" drivers supplemented with HiVi ribbon tweets.  Also have a vintage Cyrus One driving Tannoy Eaton speakers.  The final system at work consists of a NAD C556 TT (Nagaoka MP150) feeding a Headroom Little headphone amp ont Dave Slagle transformer stepped attenuated Kemo bridge amplified GR LGK's.  This is what happens to you when your Dad (sadly was) a NASA/Apollo engineer who built Heathkit receivers, and speakers w/ FR drivers. Fortunately my Dad let me help build this stuff when was 12, because my hands would fit into tight spaces.  The Dr Gizmo moniker was assigned to me by a great boss who took full advantage of my MaCGyver-esc skills of being able to build anything he asked for.  Building audio gear and maintaining a Honda Insight hybrid w/ 295K is my current thing, along with speed skating & rock climbing when I can. Well, that's it for now. Thanks for letting me into the club. Cheers, Dr Gizmo.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2017, 01:56 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2017, 02:53 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC DrGizmo    :thumb: