Return to Audio Nervosa?

Brian D

Return to Audio Nervosa?
« on: 23 Aug 2017, 10:37 pm »
Hello all, I've been lurking here for a while, mainly in the Salk circle.  I am returning to audio as a hobby after a long time away, my last system included a Linn Majik and Mirage M7 speakers.  After an unfortunate detour into home theater I realized I was listening to the equipment instead of the music/movies, and walked away.  So I'm back but with a much greater wariness of the dangers of audio nervosa.  Maybe this time it will be better?  I have to remember the equipment serves the music, not the other way around.  Looking forward to being here, thanks.

TrungT

Re: Return to Audio Nervosa?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2017, 10:49 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2017, 10:51 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Brian D   :thumb: 

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm »
Welcome back

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2017, 12:05 am »
Welcome.

It's up to each of us to fight audio nervosa.  DIYers, flippers, tweakers, and gear heads are the most guilty.  I had a brief fling in DIY (kits) in early 1980.  In 40 years I've bought/sold less than 1 piece per year.  I've tried various low cost tweaks but now have sworn them off.  And my current system it quite minimalistic (as simple as MacBook > DAC/preamp > active monitors). 

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:25 am »
Welcome!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2017, 03:07 am »
Audio Nervosa has a few aspects:
The LISTENING.. When listening to the equipment instead of the music.
This usually starts due to BUYING some new bit, or just SHOPPING, thinking about buying some new bit. Some folks find it easy to stop listening to the equipment. Others face Hell.
Also if buying a new recorded version of music one already knows or a different format of a well known item...

The WORRYING.. When listening watching for some unknown but maybe there problem.
Folks who worry all the time have this problem big time. Particularly if they own tubed equipment!

The WANTING TO BUY. Perusing articles, reading on sites like this one, Reading the Audio Magazines..
Dreaming of what one can afford, when, lusting for that new item..

I have had #1 and #3. I do not worry about much. So #2 is no problem for me!
RIght now I want another $1,100 IC cable. (I already own $5,000 worth of them)
Want a $15,000 pair of speakers just like the ones I now own, but BIGGER.
And the latest version of the amp I now own. $6,000

I need NONE of these items. And am trying to tell myself $22,000 IN THE BANK is way better.
Since I LIKE MY SYSTEM JUST FINE...
The wanting is AUDIO NERVOSA. The chronic, no longer treatable version.

Nick77

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2017, 09:38 am »

Usually more like dreaming about "what one can't afford". Haha

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2017, 11:04 am »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:18 pm »
Audio Nervosa has a few aspects:
The LISTENING.. When listening to the equipment instead of the music.
This usually starts due to BUYING some new bit, or just SHOPPING, thinking about buying some new bit. Some folks find it easy to stop listening to the equipment. Others face Hell.
Also if buying a new recorded version of music one already knows or a different format of a well known item...

The WORRYING.. When listening watching for some unknown but maybe there problem.
Folks who worry all the time have this problem big time. Particularly if they own tubed equipment!

The WANTING TO BUY. Perusing articles, reading on sites like this one, Reading the Audio Magazines..

I have had #1 and #3. I do not worry about much. So #2 is no problem for me!
RIght now I want another $1,100 IC cable. (I already own $5,000 worth of them)
Want a $15,000 pair of speakers just like the ones I now own, but BIGGER.
And the latest version of the amp I now own. $6,000

I need NONE of these items. And am trying to tell myself $22,000 IN THE BANK is way better.
Since I LIKE MY SYSTEM JUST FINE...
The wanting is AUDIO NERVOSA. The chronic, no longer treatable version.

Elizabeth you have a great ear. Leave it be and enjoy. Yes maybe better if you spend more. If you have the worrying Nervosa a better cart or digital front end may  be a good thing. Actually loving my new AQUA Formula DAC and Vida transport and Innuos Zenith music server. You know the deal garbage in garbage out. The front end always can be improved.

charles

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2017, 03:27 pm »
Hi,
  I thought Audio Nervosa was something different than you all have mentioned.
     To me it is the anxiety you get when going on a vacation or even a night out imagining your baby or house sitter screwing around with your Hifi system with a bucket of Xtra Crispy from the KFC in their lap......with no Wet Naps in sight....Mark Korda.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2017, 04:59 pm »
Hi,
  I thought Audio Nervosa was something different than you all have mentioned.
     To me it is the anxiety you get when going on a vacation or even a night out imagining your baby or house sitter screwing around with your Hifi system with a bucket of Xtra Crispy from the KFC in their lap......with no Wet Naps in sight....Mark Korda.

The solution is to remove a key bit. Like the amp power cord. Hide it.
Or move the IC to the amp from the output over  to some other input.
Unless you babysitter is an audio maven.. They will not figure it out.

A more exotic approach would be to shut off the circuit breaker, and then install in the circuit a hidden but fuseable dead short (Like a short length of copper wire hidden in a AC plug at the wall or strip. If they turn the breaker back on. POW!!! YOU most likely will know from the guilty looks when you come home Plus the arced over secret thing will be all melted and burned out.
(I admit this is a little dangerous.. but hellish fun)

Brian D

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:16 am »
(I thought I posted a reply to be approved but perhaps not)

Thanks to all for the welcome and the thoughts.  Had no idea about the other forum, that's funny.