New RM30 review finally here!

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2004, 09:59 pm »
If you want to listen and do "other" stuff...you will be just fine. Mine also have fst and if I am working in the room and doing other things the sound is still great standing or sitting. I think standing the VMPS sound is still better then most speakers in the sweet spot. Just when you are done doing other chores and you sit in the sweet spot things naturally come into better focus, per se. I often just have the music going and I am in the next room and it still sounds better then most speakers on the market.

These speakers will also play very loud, I mean very very loud!!!  You will give in before these speakers ever will.

You should do well with your room size.

Larry
AudioandImage.com

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2004, 10:49 pm »
Quote from: KJ
Ok, some of these questions might seem remedial, but I'll ask anyway.
Does this pertain strictly to the bass output or just the general ability of the speaker to envelope you with sound due to the additional ribbons  found in the RM40/RM/X.

Thanks.

-KJ

OK lots of questions:

Was the perceived "beaminess" different from the RM40s? My assumption is that it would be slightly more so due to the reduced baffle size which should reduce the sonic dispersion.

"beaminess" is another term for "focused directionality with limited dispersion.  Most ribbon/planars exhibit this type of dispersion to a degree.

Narrower baffles will reduce some of the baffle refraction and provide an even more "focused" image.  That is the main reason to "have" a narrow baffle in the first place.  The less reflective area on the front of a speaker, or using any other method to reduce or restrict the baffle reflections, will offer a more precise image and detailed and defined soundstage.

This is a good thing for "High Performance Listening" :mrgreen:

"High Dispersion" and "The Best Imaging, Detail, and Soundstage", do not exist in the same system.  

They cannot.  

It is a sliding scale of limited dispersion = more defined sonic image, to more dispersion = fuzzy, highs all over sound. (so you can hear more highs when you have your Wheaties in the morning :lol: )

Stand up and the highs go away?  Yep.  Why is that a "good thing"?  Because unless you have 15' ceilings, that vertical dispersion is also continuing up to the ceiling and bouncing all over the place thereafter :nono:

So I liken "High Perfromance Listening" to "High Performance Driving".

The cars with the best performance (as in racing performance) have more "specific and limited" characteristics (2 passenger or even 1, cramped quarters, less attention to "looks", no frills, function to form ratio high, etc)

But that said, in an untreated room, the RM30 will provide totally adequate frequency balance for "casual" listening.

Quote:
Ability to play loud: In my medium-sized room, the system will play loud enough to drive my wife out of the house, and louder than I can stand.
Quote:
There are drawbacks. They cannot play as loud or fill as large a room with sound as their bigger brothers, the RM40s and RM/Xs...However, if you have a small to medium-size room and don't need sound pressure levels that will make your ears bleed...

Does this pertain strictly to the bass output or just the general ability of the speaker to envelope you with sound due to the additional ribbons found in the RM40/RM/X.

The RM30 will not play as loud or low as the RM40 and the RM/x.

That said, it will play louder than anyone I know will listen too in a normal room.

I remember B, turning them up so loud at CES last year, that absolutley everyone left the room. I'm sure in excess of 100db.  Even outside the room it was LOUD :o

This was with AMPzilla 2Ks running them.  If you use smaller amps, in a larger room, they might not play as loud.

The one thing I remember about the expereince was remarking to EKovalsky, about how clear, and distortion free, they were at that volume.  It was incredible.

The RM30, with adequate power, and with a LARGER Sub or Two would be a truly formidable speaker system and probably offers one of the best "High Performance Listening" expereinces available, (for the price)until you get to the RM/x, and even then you'd have to add a LARGER to go as low :mrgreen:

I don't want to feel as if I need to wait for a commercial to leave my chair because the sound will disappear.

This sounds like HT.  

If you have an RM30 C for the Center, it is a Moot Point :wink:

KJ

« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2004, 11:19 pm »
John,
Stand up and the highs go away? Yep. Why is that a "good thing"? Because unless you have 15' ceilings, that vertical dispersion is also continuing up to the ceiling and bouncing all over the place thereafter.

I'll probably have that issue for as long as I don't have room treatments.  If the vertical dispersion goes high enough to hit a 12' ceiling, then I definitely shouldn't have any issues hearing semi-premium quality while standing.

This sounds like HT.

Sorry.  Poor attempt at humor.  I was trying to indicate that I didn't want to have to pause the music when roaming away from the sweet spot (non critical listening).

Let me simplify all my questions into one.  Ignoring how loud and low they can play, will the dispersion of the RM30s vary significantly from the RM40s?

-KJ

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
dispersion
« Reply #23 on: 16 Dec 2004, 01:03 am »
Horizontal dispersion of the RM 30 is better than the 40, due to the 8" wide baffle vs. 12 1/2" wide.

Vertical dispersion is better on the RM 40 due to the tall array.