COS: Clarinet on Steroids

coffeedj

• Galaxy SET Labs
COS: Clarinet on Steroids
« on: 12 Dec 2004, 07:59 am »
I'm building a new pre-amp with everything I wanted in a pre.  Calling it Clarinet on steroids or COS :)

Requirements:
- 2 independent stereo channels (4 channels)
- 6 inputs + 1 balanced --assignable to either stereo channel
- global "short all" outputs switch
- independant B+ switches for each stereo channel
- global swap inputs and outputs switch
- mono/stero switch each channel
- ground in/out switch for each channel

Purpose:
1.  Independently record vinyl while listening to CD's
2.  Independently drive sub-woofer w/own volume control when watching movies
3.  Isolate record recording channels to drive only A/D external sampler.
4.  Hot swap tubes
5.  Compare two complete different tube sets in A/B mode -- and be able to set identical volume for each path
6.  Same as (5) for resistors, capacitors, current/voltage sources/ etc.
7.  Ability to almost run surround sound should I ever become addled enough to decide to do that.
8. Be able to compare different amps and speaker combo's directly.
9.  The ground switch option will allow me to isolate ground loops quickly, and easily.  I'm tired of crawling around the floor, plugging and unplugging cables and power cords to find the ground loop.   When you have 7 inputs, you can count on at least of couple that got by the design.  And everytime a frined brings over the latest amp to check out--won't have to worry.

I thought about adding a tape-out capability, but the reality is that the SET line stage is very clean, and I'd like to be able to set the source volume for recording as high as possible to keep the digital noise floor as low as possible.  BTW:  My recording is going to be at 96KHz using the Layla Echo Audio external box with optical connection to my computer.  Playback will be back through the same hardware.    I calculate that I'm going to need about 4+ terabytes of storage for all my records.

I'll post design details, pics, and what-ever as I go.

The power supply will be (naturally) external.  I've got an old Hammond organ power supply that I'm going to modify for use--it has a big enough tranny to run a dozen clarinets, including two independant heater filament windings.

First version will be functional and ugly--prototype only.  Using only parts from my stash.  There are several things I want to check before finalizing the design.

jazzagain

Re: COS: Clarinet on Steroids
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm »
4+ terabytes of storage for all your records?  How many records?  4+ terabyte is huge!

poty

Re: COS: Clarinet on Steroids
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2012, 08:56 am »
I think it should be the mix of a mixing console and a miltiline breadboards.  :)
4 Terabyte of storage * 8 bits-per-byte / 2 channel / (96kHz*24 bit)  -5% overhead =  1832 hours of non-compressed music. Losless compression can save you around 40% capacity, so it can be more than 2500 hours. An LP holds around an hour on average, so it should be 1800-2500 records! :) I'm afraid to count the weight of the welth! :)