Grilla Silverbac Pellet Pooper Brisket

StevenZ

Grilla Silverbac Pellet Pooper Brisket
« on: 12 Aug 2017, 08:39 pm »
So, a while back I started a thread here and asked for help finding a grill/smoker. After much research I landed on a Grilla Grills Silverbac pellet smoker.  I've done a few items on it already including reverse seared burgers, a few brisket flats and various other small items.  However, I decided to go for the gold and try my hand at a top notch brisket since my previous local CAB and Prime briskets weren't to my liking (though still quite delicious). 

For this, I went to Lobel's website and ordered up a natural prime brisket.  It shipped on the requested date and arrived perfectly packed in a small cooler with frozen gel packs.  They claim the meat is cut to order and never frozen.  Upon first inspection I was very impressed.  The brisket weighed in at 9lbs and was perfectly trimmed and ready to go.  I unpacked it, rinsed it, dried it then slathered it down with olive oil before I applied the rub which for this packer I used Oakridge BBQ's Black Ops Brisket Rub. *Good stuff, folks*

Fired up the Silverbac and set it to 225F, loaded with 100% Mesquite pellets from Lumber Jack.  10.5hrs later the brisket was at an internal temp of about 203 throughout the point and flat with that "like butter" texture when probing.  Another key indicator for me is to touch it and give it a little jiggle.  If it jiggles like a bowl of jello, it's ready, and this one was.  Keep in mind, I didn't open the pit but one time to check the brisket throughout the entire cook and that's when it hit 200F.  No wrapping and spritzing at all. 

The end result was pretty damn amazing.  Lobel's has my vote for best meats available for sure and I will definitely buy from them again.  After 2hrs of resting in a cooler it was time to cut.  I was initially a little worried as there was almost zero juice in the foil however as soon as I put it on the cutting board and sliced the point from the flat the juices cascaded down like a waterfall. This was the best brisket I've ever had and on top of that didn't leave me burping up smoke after I had finished.  Man I love my pellet pooper!

Hope you guys enjoy!

TrungT

Re: Grilla Silverbac Pellet Pooper Brisket
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2017, 09:12 pm »
Yum  :thumb:
Thanks for posting.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2017, 11:35 pm »
OK, cut it out, no more food pics.  I have been on a diet for over 4 months and lost 35 pounds, so far - 2 more months to go, unless I go berserk first and kill and eat some passerby.  All extraneous comments aside, I am totally envious of your cooking skills.  I have to cut the meats on my Weber to know if they are cooked.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2017, 01:41 am »
I GOTTA try one of those!!!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2017, 02:04 am »
I think I'll try an equal amount of pecan and hickory for mine though. What do you think, StevenZ?

StevenZ

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2017, 07:25 pm »
Thanks guys.  Pecan and Hickory would be interesting.  Give it a shot!  I've done a smaller brisket flat with these pellets https://cookinpellets.com/product/40-lb-bag-perfect-mix-free-shipping-copy/  which consist of hickory, cherry, hard maple & apple.  These are by far my favorite for anything.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2017, 08:39 pm »
I'm not a pellet guy. I use a WSM. 18.5" unit. I love it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2017, 09:10 pm »
MMmmm!!!! BRISKET!!!  :thumb: