BP26 Failure

Wim J

BP26 Failure
« on: 9 Aug 2017, 01:37 pm »
Last weekend my 12 year old BP26 experienced a massive failure. It behaved strangely in the listening session the day before and when I started it  last weekend a huge plop noise and crackling sound was heard a the right speaker channel. My 3BSST2 went in protection and is possibly damaged as well. Has anyone seen a failure like this, it looks like a single component failed and took a part of the output stage with it,... My dealer and distributor are taking care of both BP26 and 3BSST2 as we speak (i hope)
...picture... not for the faint hearted...  :cry:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: BP26 Failure
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:24 pm »
This must be very rare....sure Bryston will make good on it :thumb:

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2017, 08:03 am by redbook »

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:38 pm »
That resistor's a goner... The bigger question is why that resistor? The signal diodes around it appear to be okay.

I'm sure Bryston Support/Engineering will get to the bottom of it.

HsvHeelFan

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2017, 05:33 pm »
Last weekend my 12 year old BP26 experienced a massive failure. ..........

Twenty year warranties do have their privileges so I'm sure Bryston will have you up and running sooner than later.  :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2017, 10:57 pm »
Twenty year warranties do have their privileges so I'm sure Bryston will have you up and running sooner than later.  :thumb:

Emotional Rescue.  :thumb: :thumb:

(The song too!)

Wim J

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2017, 06:57 pm »
Does over 1 month repair time seem acceptable? Or am I being too critical?  :cry:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2017, 06:58 pm »
Does over 1 month repair time seem acceptable? Or am I being too critical?  :cry:

HI

Where did you send it for repair?

james

Wim J

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2017, 08:07 pm »
My dealer sent it to the BeNeLux distributor

srb

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2017, 08:22 pm »

I don't think you're being too critical.

Given that shipping both ways might take up to two weeks total, I think getting your repaired unit back within 30 days is appropriate and acceptable.

As with all repairs, communication is key and the customer should at least be contacted by the dealer / distributor / repair facility if there is a valid reason that the repair can't be completed in a reasonable time frame.

Steve

Wim J

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2017, 08:41 pm »
I brought the preamp BP26 and amp 3Bsst2 personally to my dealer and it was picked up 3 days later by the distributors sale rep. I don't think they shipped it back to Canada,... Since the output stage of the preamp was destroyed I also sent my poweramp, because it might be the cause of the problem. It was behaving strangely shortly before the bp26 failure. But, whether this was the cause or result of the burned circuit is unclear at this time. BeNeLux region is small, we are talking about a few hunderd miles max. between the borders. So 2 weeks shipping in each direction is .... a long time.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2017, 09:30 pm »
I brought the preamp BP26 and amp 3Bsst2 personally to my dealer and it was picked up 3 days later by the distributors sale rep. I don't think they shipped it back to Canada,... Since the output stage of the preamp was destroyed I also sent my poweramp, because it might be the cause of the problem. It was behaving strangely shortly before the bp26 failure. But, whether this was the cause or result of the burned circuit is unclear at this time. BeNeLux region is small, we are talking about a few hunderd miles max. between the borders. So 2 weeks shipping in each direction is .... a long time.

Ok email Brian Russell at Bryston and he can check for you - bwrussell@bryston.com

james

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2017, 12:22 am »
I never turn mine off.. On 24/7/365 for the past seven years.
I DO turn it off to disconnect output IC or to turn off the amplifier..
SO I would say, toss in a few a few power outages.. My BP-26 has been turned off maybe 20 times total.

(where I live not worried about lightning strikes...)

I hope the op gets his unit back and all goes well.

won ton on

« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2017, 12:38 am »
 A bit off topic but i just replace the batteries in my br 2. It seems you have to recode it for the bp 26 after changing batteries,odd that i didn't have to for the bcd 1.

won ton on

« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2017, 12:39 am »
That would be  ' replaced '.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2017, 12:51 am »
That would be  ' replaced '.

You can just edit any of your posts if you want to make spelling, grammar or other corrections.  ;)

Wim J

« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2017, 07:41 am »
I got some feedback: The 3BSST² has been tested and is OK. :thumb:
No news on the BP26 yet. That unit is broken for sure  :roll:  (see picture in topic start)

Wim J

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2017, 09:03 pm »
UPDATE: I received the message that Bryston will replace the whole PCB of the BP26. This failure seems very rare, and they probably want to investigate it and take no chances on the repair.
In my opinion the circuit board is also damaged because of the high temperatures,...

Bryston has to built the PCB on order, so it might take a while. So I was told,..

AnhTuan

« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2017, 01:15 am »
Congratulation! Great Services and support form Bryston

Wim J

« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2017, 06:41 pm »
2 months later,... I'm still without preamp. This starting to be unacceptable! Are they going to wait till I run out of warranty???  :nono:

JakeJ

« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2017, 06:49 pm »
Your sense of time seems slightly flawed.