Diluceo Speakers - Sub Needed?

StevenACNJ

« on: 11 Dec 2004, 12:29 pm »
I recently purchased a pair of GR Diluceo speakers in maple with matching maple stands from Al @ Raw Acoustics.

I got the speakers and am still wating for the stands from Al.

I am planning on using the speakers in a 2 channel office music only system. The room is 12 x 14. I have Wayne @ Bolder modding a Panasonic SA-XR70 digital receiver for me. Will connect my computer system via coax digital.

Question is, do you think I need a sub or not?

Thanks in advance.

brad b

I think you might
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2004, 12:55 pm »
depends on your room.  I am running mine with a pair of Rels and it really smooths out the lower frequencies.  Danny would be the expert, but they are very solid into the lower 50's.  If you can, I would look into a pair of Danny's subs for a reasonable price point that should provide great sound.  As an interim step you could always snug the speakers a little closer to the back wall to boost bass.
Brad

StevenACNJ

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2004, 01:59 pm »
Bradb,

What crossover point are you using on the subs?

Danny Richie

Sub
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2004, 03:40 pm »
Ask Al about building you a matching box for one of our new subs.

So far they have been a big hit.

See feedback: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=218090

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2004, 03:51 pm »
I agree it depends on the room.  When 'Tsunami' brought over his Diluceo's to my house, they went super deep in my room... I think we measured it into the 30's.  I was amazed.  No sub would ever be needed.

However, in an office system, a sub may help smooth out the freq. range because you'd likely have the volume very low... like adding 'loundness' ;) ...  

It will depend on the room... and likely the amount of break-in on the speakers...  Can you stand waiting 200 or so hours of actual play-time before making a decision on the sub?  :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Sub
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2004, 03:56 pm »
Quote from: Danny
Ask Al about building you a matching box for one of our new subs.

So far they have been a big hit.

See feedback: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=218090

How much does Al charge for the enclosure?

If you make the box bigger, can you get it to go a little lower?

George

Danny Richie

Hey Al?
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2004, 04:58 pm »
How much does Al charge for the enclosure?

Hey Al. How about some pricing for these guys?

If you make the box bigger, can you get it to go a little lower?

How much lower would you like it to go? In 2.4 cubic feet it will hit a -3db of 20Hz.

Keeping it that size keeps the response flat and power handling up.

modwright

• Industry Contributor
    • ModWright Instruments
Wow, fantastic looking!
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2004, 05:36 pm »
Hi Danny, received the Dilucios, thanks!  These speakers really do a great job down pretty darn low.  A sub WOULD nicely fill out the lowest octaves and the enclosure shown is GORGEOUS!

Your speakers represent some of the highest value/performance that I have heard to date.  Bravo Danny!  I have heard better speakers in my listening room, but they cost over $10K!!!

Just as soon as my family and I are situated in our new home, I will be building a dedicated listening room that may double as our Home Theater and I WILL be talking to you about a full set for A/V at that time.

Thanks Danny,

Dan W.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2004, 01:31 pm »
Danny,

I have sent Al @ RAW Acoustics several emails concerning a subwoofer. He answered one and I havent heard from him on the rest. I think he is pretty busy getting orders out.

I would also like an update from Al @ RAW on shipping my 25" maple Diluceo stands.

So if you can get him to chime in here, would be appreciated.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2004, 09:53 pm »
I heard from Al @ RAW via Email, I think my stands are shipping tomorrow. I also told him to stop by this thread and give us info on the subwoofers.

RAW

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2004, 03:39 am »
18" cube .75" MDF with braces MDF $120.00 Black textured $170.00 Veneered Cherry,Oak,Maple $250.00
18.5" cube 1" MDF with braces ADD$35.00  
19" cube 1.25" MDF no  braces ADD$60.00
Dye any cabinet add $50.00
Cut for customers drivers,amp or terimal cup
Finished in Mapa Burl veneer
$399.00  
Block Makore
$375.00
Claro Walnut burl
$399.00
Angire Crotch
$379.00

Custom angles as on the Makore 4 cuts each side
$500.00 each
This cabinet in Makore with all the angles is a lot of veneer work.

At this time we have a supply of close to 40 different veneers available to us.
This range from
Anigre,figured Cherry,Blistered Cherry,Waterfall Makore,Pomele Bubinga,Waterfall Sapele,Rosewoods(India,American,Brazilian)
Curly Maple,Figured Maple
Koa
to Walnut burls.
Nice to do custom cabinets away from Maple,Cherry ,OAK

When looking at all these veneers remember a few things.
These are real wood veneer no backing.Paper or wood.
Entails a lot more work to apply,prep the veneer for finish as well as finish.
All sheet veneer that we use as others use comes backed with wood, or paper these real wood veneers are very tricky to apply with out breaking them as well as with real wood veneer you can book match cabinets.Which you can not with a sheet veneer that has been backed.

Yes we have a few different finished options on the subs as well as any or the GR speakers Danny has.
As well as coming.
3 way :D can you say  :D  :idea:

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2004, 08:44 pm »

Sorry not been around just a little loaded clearing shop for those wanting items for Xmas.
As well as custom orders

Al[/list][/img]

StevenACNJ

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2004, 09:03 pm »
Wow, those are my stands pictured above. They look really great. My maple Diluceo's will look terrific on them.

Thanks much Al!  :mrgreen: