Wow Factor

BikeWNC

Wow Factor
« on: 5 Mar 2003, 07:56 pm »
Wow factor is something I think most of us have experienced.  It happens when a new component is inserted into your system and the result makes you sit back and say "wow".  Sometimes the nature of the wow effect is what leads us to eventually get rid of that same component.  What seems great at first can later fatigue.  But not today.  Today I had one of those good kind of wows.  A holy cow, really.  I exchanged the Cardas Digital Lightning cable between my Modwright level 2 bybee Pioneer DVD transport and the Bel Canto Dac2 for a Bolder Cable silver bullet digital. I know now that the Cardas cable in my system is soft.  Soft bass, dynamics, focus as compared to the Bolder cable.  I really didn't think a digital cable could make such a difference.  The Bolder digital cable has better low end extension and resolution, while at the same time removing another layer of hash from the highs. It is a much more dynamic cable and a bit more forward than the Cardas (which is quite laid back).  For the price of just over $100 for 1/2 meter with the upgrade to Eichmann Silver Bullets it is a steal deal IMO.  YMMV as always.

Andy

witchdoctor

Wow
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2003, 02:41 am »
I had the same experience. I sent my digital cables back to Wayne for the bullet + cryo upgrade. WOW! Like the difference between vcr and DVD.

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
MENSA DI/O Was a WOW for me, but took a while
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2003, 07:10 am »
When I got the DI/O returned after the SMART upgrade, that was a big wow right away, and got better during burn in. So much so that I immediately sent it back for the MENSA upgrade. When I got it back, it was less wow at first. It took two weeks of constant burn in before it fully broke in. Now, everything sounds good!  

I just substituted Wayne's type 1 IC's for a used pair of Acoustic Zen Silver reference. The AZ's are more than 8x the price at retail of the bolders, and of course, they sound better. But not by leaps and bounds (AZ's Satori Shotgun speaker cable, on the other hand, provided me with a HUGE WOW factor).

Wayne builds great sounding stuff!