Zapping static from my turntable.

WireNut

Zapping static from my turntable.
« on: 18 Jul 2017, 02:00 am »
 I know I’m going to get a lot of static (pun intended) from this post.
My system, especially my turntable, suffers from static buildup not only in the winter months but in the summer as well.

When my LP’s start sounding distorted I’m pretty sure it’s from static build up.

I wash and clean the LP’s and then zap them with my ZeroStat.
But still sometimes it sounds distorted.

:idea:
What if I Zapped my cartridge.
Hmm, who knows, I’ll either fry my system or it'll help.

Here goes:
All components on, preamp in mute (down 20db) I’m gonna try it, shit.

It’s definitely doing something. Even with the preamp in mute I hear popping sounds coming from the loudspeakers.

Holy crap :wtf:.

Flip the mute switch to off, set the stylus on the LP.
I’ll be damn, no distortion.
It worked.

:thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Zapping static from my turntable.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2017, 03:23 am »
Thanks for the tip WireNut, will have to give a try next time I fire things up.  8)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2017, 03:45 am »
That's really high risk approach, putting between 10-100 thousand volts around the coils is asking for electrons to go where they aren't supposed to.  If you think it's static electricity, then it can only build up on non conductors... the vinyl, the cartridge body, record mat, and I can't think of anywhere else.  The Zerostat ionizes the air, creating free ions that can be attracted to opposites and neutralize them.  Use it a few inches away from the cartridge, but not close enough to actually jump a spark to it and let the ions do their job.
Or take a mister and moisturize the air around your turntable.  The moisture can also dissipate static build up.
I can't remember who it was, but someone at AC overloaded his phono pre from touching his tone arm after walking across carpet in a dry room... spark jumped from him to the tone arm and into the electronics.   
Consider a humidifier in the winter months. 

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2017, 04:45 am »
All you need to do is touch R output center to L output ground for 20 seconds then switch. That should do the trick.

I doubt what you are doing is really bad, but probably not as effective.

WireNut

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2017, 06:56 am »
All you need to do is touch R output center to L output ground for 20 seconds then switch. That should do the trick.

I doubt what you are doing is really bad, but probably not as effective.

I've done that as well but only after shutting down everything and disconnecting the turntable from the phono stage.
I should make a habit of doing that every day.

I tried the zerostat while still powered up (dumb as is was) so I wouldn't have to shut everything down.
It worked but sure did scare the crap out of me even with the preamp in mute.

I've alway's wondered if my zerostat really does anything and after trying this experiment I can definitely say my zerostat is working.

I can't recommend anyone trying what I did without caution.

WireNut

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2017, 07:16 am »

That's really high risk approach, putting between 10-100 thousand volts around the coils is asking for electrons to go where they aren't supposed to.

Or take a mister and moisturize the air around your turntable.  The moisture can also dissipate static build up.

I can't remember who it was, but someone at AC overloaded his phono pre from touching his tone arm after walking across carpet in a dry room... spark jumped
from him to the tone arm and into the electronics.

Consider a humidifier in the winter months.

I know, Crazy.

I tried damping an LP once, never again, It shut down my turntable instantly.

I use 2 humidifiers in the winter. I have electric heat and the air is very dry. If I don't, every time I touch a component I get zapped.
Now I make it a habit in the winter to touch something metal before touching a component.

Several years ago when my daughter was little she was helping me clean the house (she's such a sweetheart).
My TV and the time was a CRT and it was hooked up to my stereo system.

As soon as she started wiping the screen (system was on) it was to late. Static pops instantly fried a $1700.00 dac.

It was an unfortunate accident and a listen learned. 

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2017, 07:36 am »
Get an ionizing blower off eBay. They're too loud while listening but should help you. You can just leave it on for awhile in the room.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2017, 12:18 pm »
I like Folsom's idea... does the same thing as the Zerostat on a giant scale and much safer.
Wirenut, you've got a crazy static problem.  I also heat with a heat pump and wood in the winter, and the humidity drops extremely low.  When the stove is burning, I suspect the humidity drops to single digit. On a cold day, I probably go through 2 gallons of water a day keeping a large pot on the wood stove.  I also have to touch something metal before touching the system.  On really bad days, I keep a mister and microfiber towel to lightly wipe down vinyl.  Haven't fried anything yet, but I had some scary pops go through whenever I get careless.