Interesting cooling idea

JoshK

Interesting cooling idea
« on: 8 Dec 2004, 06:57 pm »
For all of you guys out there thinking of building that audio PC but don't want the noise of fans, I came across a very interesting cooling idea.  

remote cooling

My basement is right below my living room so this idea is very plausible for me.  I especially like this idea since I was planning to build an enclosure cabinet and this will allow for proper ventilation even with the doors shut.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2004, 07:30 pm »
there's always the  remote liquid cooling option as well.

JoshK

Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2004, 07:54 pm »
Liquid is cool (pun intended) but maybe just a little too exotic and hard to implement. Not to mention dealing with water source, pumps, etc.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2004, 07:56 pm »
and more expensive usually...

bubba966

Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2004, 08:03 pm »
Josh, that type of cooling is fairly easy to implement. I've done something similar for a server room once before (can elaborate on it while you're in town if it becomes possible). It worked quite well, and wasn't very noisy even though the fans were putting out at least 50dB's.

If you were to implement such a thing in your house, you might want to use a blower from a bathroom type venting fan that's noise output is 1.0 sones or less. Yes, such a blower won't be $20 (more like $100), but it'll be very easy to implement, and put out a significant amount of volume. Should be somewhere around 80CFM give or take.

JoshK

Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2004, 08:38 pm »
Yes that is a good idea, Brian.  The writer in that article just parralleled a bunch of 12mm fans iirc.

I think that site is a fantastic resource for ideas on how to cool your HTPC or whatever your cooling quietly.  It gives you lots of ideas.

bubba966

Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2004, 09:02 pm »
The other good thing about having an external fan blowing cool air into an HTPC is that it could be left on for a short time after the PC is turned off (if it does get turned off). That way you don't cook things in the 'puter just after shup down when there's still a bunch of heat...

JoshK

Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2004, 02:36 pm »
Here is a cool idea on how to control noise of your HD and keep it cool too. Cheap and effective.  

hd hush box

That website is full of great ideas...

jakepunk

Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2004, 04:05 pm »
Careful.  This guy claims that his cardboard rig keeps his drive cool, but he never does an experiment showing temperature readings from his operating system or a thermometer.  I'd be concerned about the drive overheating using styrofoam.  Styrofoam doesn't conduct heat, and from the pictures, he's only cooling a narrow sliver of the harddrive with his fan.

I use a Silent Drive enclosure, and it has been tested for noise and heat dissipation.  The guy is correct that he saved $43 with his contraption, but that won't mean much when the harddrive to which he spent 3 days ripping his CD collection overheats and dies, losing everything.

http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/enclosures/silentdrive/
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/182/1

Hantra

Re: Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2004, 06:39 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
For all of you guys out there thinking of building that audio PC but don't want the noise of fans, I came across a very interesting cooling idea.

I'd be very interested to know though if this system would keep the machine cooler by PULLING air rather than pushing.

JoshK

Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2004, 06:43 pm »
Or you can use two pipes, one for pushing and one for pulling.  Sounds kinky.   :lol:   But then you have to worry about have the outtake being far enough away from the intake so as you not couple them.

Hantra

Interesting cooling idea
« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2004, 07:17 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Or you can use two pipes, one for pushing and one for pulling.  Sounds kinky.   :lol:   But then you have to worry about have the outtake being far enough away from the intake so as you not couple them.

I can see some kind of weather event occuring INSIDE my PC if I did that.  LOL!