4b3 specs

Kw6

4b3 specs
« on: 29 Jun 2017, 04:04 pm »
Can't find  anywhere  continous rating into 2 ohms. I only see dynamic  power.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 4b3 specs
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2017, 04:57 pm »
Can't find  anywhere  continous rating into 2 ohms. I only see dynamic  power.

Hi KW

I would not recommend the 4B into a 2 ohm load unless it was over a small frequency band.

The 7B or 14B would be the better choice.

james

Xinon

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2017, 05:19 am »
Hi KW

I would not recommend the 4B into a 2 ohm load unless it was over a small frequency band.

The 7B or 14B would be the better choice.

james

Thats really interesting, I thought bridged designs faired worse into lower impedance.
Learning something new :thumb:

Pundamilia

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2017, 05:36 pm »

Does this imply then that you would not recommend using a 4B3 with speakers (e.g. some electrostatic) that are known to have deep impedance dips?

What would happen to the 4B3 in such a scenario?

Would this destabilize the 4B3 in some way?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2017, 05:52 pm »
Does this imply then that you would not recommend using a 4B3 with speakers (e.g. some electrostatic) that are known to have deep impedance dips?

What would happen to the 4B3 in such a scenario?

Would this destabilize the 4B3 in some way?

Electrostatic speakers have what is referred to as a 'reactive  load' (essentially a huge capacitor) so it is much harder for an amplifier to deliver current into impedance's that low.  I have not had any issues with speakers like the Quads or the Acoustats but it is something to think about if you are driving very large capacitive type speakers.

If on the other hand you are using the typical dynamic type drivers in your speaker which are much more benign loads 2 ohms would not be an issue for a 4B.

james

Marius

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2017, 07:46 pm »
Electrostatic speakers have what is referred to as a 'reactive  load' (essentially a huge capacitor) so it is much harder for an amplifier to deliver current into impedance's that low.  I have not had any issues with speakers like the Quads or the Acoustats but it is something to think about if you are driving very large capacitive type speakers.

If on the other hand you are using the typical dynamic type drivers in your speaker which are much more benign loads 2 ohms would not be an issue for a 4B.

james

HI James,

Since I've been enjoying electrostatics like forever, (last 10 years or so on my 28b's)  id be very interested to see this behavior in real life listening. Is there any way/tool to measure these impedance fluctuations for a home setting? Would be cool.

Cheers,
Marius

Pundamilia

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2017, 08:06 pm »
Thanks, James

Electrostatic speakers have what is referred to as a 'reactive  load' (essentially a huge capacitor) so it is much harder for an amplifier to deliver current into impedance's that low.

Is that also true of other planar speakers like Magnepans?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2017, 10:54 pm »
Thanks, James

Is that also true of other planar speakers like Magnepans?

No Magnepans are more like a ribbon and they can present a very low impedance - especially the ribbon - something like 1.7 ohms on my MG3R's.  BUT it is a purely "Resistive" load and wants more Voltage than Current from the amplifier.  So not an issue with any Bryston amplifier.

james

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2017, 04:47 am »
Thanks James! I will listen  to the amp this weekend  at Hifi Centre. They will pair it with  B&Ws! My esl are the entry level from ML.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2017, 01:36 pm »
Thanks James! I will listen  to the amp this weekend  at Hifi Centre. They will pair it with  B&Ws! My esl are the entry level from ML.

OK great please let me know what you think.

james