James Taylor's "A Christmas Album"

SWG255

« on: 8 Dec 2004, 05:09 pm »
I was in my local Hallmark store the other day buying Christmas cards and saw that they were selling a James Taylor Christmas album for $7 if one purchases three cards. I took a chance and rather like the disc. It's nice "straight ahead" Christmas songs, sung well by James, with guest appearances from the likes of Chris Botti (trumpet) and Natalie Cole. The album was produce by Dave Grusin, so it has his "signature sound", a bit on the warm side with the piano and drum kit having larger than life presentation in the soundstage.

If you're looking for some nice Christmas music and need to pickup some cards or knick-knacks, I'd recommend giving this a try.

Horizons

• Restricted
Re: James Taylor's "A Christmas Album"
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2004, 05:32 pm »
Quote from: SWG255
I was in my local Hallmark store the other day buying Christmas cards and saw that they were selling a James Taylor Christmas album for $7 if one purchases three cards. I took a chance and rather like the disc. It's nice "straight ahead" Christmas songs, sung well by James, with guest appearances from the likes of Chris Botti (trumpet) and Natalie Cole. The album was produce by Dave Grusin, so it has his "signature sound", a bit on the warm side with the piano and drum kit having larger than life presentati ...

Thanks SWG255! I love JT and this would also make a great Christmas gift.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2004, 06:25 pm »
Which Hallmark store was that in Nova?  When you say album, do you mean CD or vinyl?  Or am I dating myself for asking this question, but  I clearly remember days when album used to mean LP's as opposed to CD's.

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2004, 06:32 pm »
I thought "album" was a format-indifferent term.

Quote from: www.rhymezone.com
Definitions of album:

*   noun:   a book of blank pages with pockets or envelopes; for organizing photographs or stamp collections etc
*   noun:   one or more recordings issued together; originally released on 12-inch phonograph records (usually with attractive record covers) and later on cassette audio tape and compact disc

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2004, 07:09 pm »
I am sure it is but when your formative years were devoted to buying and listening to albums (referring to LP's) certain unbreakable synoptic association forms in your cerebral cordex (especially when certain mind bending substances were used in conjunction) that cannot be undone in the later years, even with massive proliferation of CD's that obliterated the LP's to a remote corner in audio esoterica.   Call it an arrested development!  8)

SWG255

If you remember the 60's...
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2004, 07:35 pm »
You weren't really there... :mrgreen:

The James Taylor Christmas disc is a CD of course, and I suspect it's available at most any Hallmark store, It has there logo and trademark on the back of the CD case. (or on the back of the CD tray liner to be more precise)

Quote from: woodsyi
I am sure it is but when your formative years were devoted to buying and listening to albums (referring to LP's) certain unbreakable synoptic association forms in your cerebral cordex (especially when certain mind bending substances were used in conjunction) that cannot be undone in the later years, even with massive proliferation of CD's that obliterated the LP's to a remote corner in audio esoterica.   Call it an arrested development!  8)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2004, 08:21 pm »
Thank SWG255.  I will check out a store in Vienna.  As for the 60's nostalgia, you are right -- I wasn't there.  But I caught the last bits of the 60's still lingering on in fringe societies tucked in college campuses in late 70's and early 80's.

Thump553

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2004, 08:44 pm »
A real oldster pointed out to me once that it was wrong even to call LPs "albums."  The term came from the pre 33 1/3 RPM days.  Although records then were 12 inches, each one wouldn't hold much music.  To have a complete classical piece a half dozen or more records were involved, stored in a binder of sleeves-the "album."  I actually have one of these around somewhere that I got in a tag sale once.

Back on topic on James Taylor, he did have a link up to download the Joni Mitchell song "The River" in mp3 format from this Christmas album.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the link but the song was nice.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2004, 08:51 pm »
My wife was picking up some cards at Hallmark the other day and I told her to pick up the CD.  

It's a pretty good Christmas disc and $7 is a very nice price.