SE18 questions

Brad

SE18 questions
« on: 29 Dec 2002, 06:12 pm »
These went unanswered over at HD, so I'm blatantly copying/pasting them here. :D

What is the gain/impedance on the phono stage?
Is it adjustable for MM/MC?

Would it be possible to use the tape out to drive a separate subwoofer/amp?

Are the tubes in the SE18 the same mfr as the SE9?
Any possibility of doing a remote volume control?

Without any tech specs being available on the SE18, it appears that getting an SE9 and separate phono section MIGHT be a better way to go.

Thanks,

-Brad in Houston

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
SE18 questions
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2002, 06:27 pm »
The SE 18 is only a high gain input.  Many moving coils are high gain and don't need a headamp.  

Our target market for both the SE 9 and SE 18 is the person who has been out of audio or never gotten into it. We want to make it simple and cost effective to enjoy audio.  We are not trying to make a product that appeals to die hard audiophiles who have already spent 10s of thousands. We are looking for people who want to get  into audio for $1500 or so.  

The copy output does not pass through the volume control. I have talked to the engineers and asked if we can change this in a futture release.  

The SE 18 uses all Electro Harmonics tubes.  The sound of the SE 18 is really fantastic. I have not seen anyone do a detailed posting but we have received a lot of e-mail from happy users.

We looked into a remote control.  I got a motorized volume control from Alps but it would require us to design our own infrared circuit.  

As I have said before, the more successful we are in a given project, the more we will hae money to spend on new projects. The SE 9 is selling very well. The SE 18 is new and doing modestly well.  

The next product is likely to be a very basic preamp.  It will have thre 12ax7 tubes, a volume control,  and three inputs.  The sound will be very good. The price will be $399.95.  

I would  like to do a monoblock with a EL84 tube.  The EL84 requires a much smaller transformer than the EL34.  We can get to about 5 watts with the EL84.  

I would like to have a 5 watt monoblock amp for home theater.  The idea is that people could build a relatively inexpensive high-end home theater system using a multimedia computer or a low-cost decoder.

I am working with a company in Taiwan and someone in the US to try to introduce a tuner, preamp, decoder (AC3 and DTS) for about $250.00 USD each.  This would take the place of a receiver.  You could use a SE18  for your left and right channels and 3  tube monoblocks for the rear.

I am also looking at other ideas.  We have had to develop fanless switching power supplies for our computers (NorhTec).  Our current design is 200 watts.  These have an efficiency of 87 which means that they deliver more power than traditional transformers.

It might be possible for us to create a very high performance 50 wpc integrated using Toshiba transistors.  As you probably know, these are used in very expensive integrated amplifiers because they are so linear and have such high bandwidth.   I would like to have something for $299.95 that would compete with much more expensive integrateds. I would then like to have a three channel amplifier that would be added on for home theater.  

These are some of the ideas I am working on.  

If everything goes well, I would like to do some 300B based products.  These would be up around $995 for an integrated amplifier or $500 each for monoblocks.  

As everyone here should know, I  take no money from nOrh.  I do plan to pay myself from NorhTec once it is profitable.

The money we make from nOrh goes into customer service, R&D and employee welfare. Nothing is ever paid out to me.  

That is why I say that the future depends on our success. The more we sell, the more we can invest in new and original products.

Brad

SE18 questions
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2002, 07:59 pm »
Sounds like I won't know until I try it with the SE18 :)

I definitely would have an interest in a 300b or 2a3 or 45 :idea:  based integrated.   Thanks for the information and look-ahead.

roopaudio

SE18 questions
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2003, 04:25 am »
Brad,

Let me know how it goes :)

Rup

Brad

SE18 questions
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2003, 05:37 pm »
Mr. Barnes - one more SE18 question

Is it tube rectified?  It was a little hard to tell from the picture.

Thanks!

lemongrass

SE18 questions
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2003, 02:09 pm »
Just got an SE-18. Shipping is amazingly fast.
It arrived in perfect condition, and worked like a charm the
first time out of the box.
The sound is magnificent. Open, Airy, and great dynamic range.
Not a trace of hum.
After ~35 years of not hearing a tube amplifier, I'm amazed at
how good it sounds even compared to a decent recent ss amp.
The sound level is more than adequate for a small apartment,
probably could have gotten by with an SE-9, but it's nice to have
the extra headroom at times.
(using it with a pair of Klipsch KSB 1.1 bookshelf speakers
92db sensitivity - a bargain at ubid.com)

Using it with a Sony DVP-NS755V SACD player ($209.95 at
onecall.com - comes with 3 sampler SACD discs), it's a perfect
match for the SE-18.

btw, what's the extra (black) binding post for? (I assume it's a phono
ground... just wanna be sure since it's not labeled)

It'd be great to have a 3 channel amp to go along with the SE-18 for multi-channel SACD use....

jc133

SE18 questions
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2004, 05:08 am »
Quote from: lemongrass
Just got an SE-18. Shipping is amazingly fast.
It arrived in perfect condition, and worked like a charm the
first time out of the box.
The sound is magnificent. Open, Airy, and great dynamic range.
Not a trace of hum.
After ~35 years of not hearing a tube amplifier, I'm amazed at
how good it sounds even compared to a decent recent ss amp.
The sound level is more than adequate for a small apartment,
probably could have gotten by with an SE-9, but it's nice to have
the extra headroom at time ...

Hi lemongrass,
Am very tempted by the SE18. How would you describe the soundstaging and imaging capabilities of the se18? Thanks.