Upsampling (to DSD) players?

JDUBS

Upsampling (to DSD) players?
« on: 16 Jun 2017, 07:24 pm »
Hey guys

What players out there (usb, network, etc.) exist that will upsample from pcm to dsd?  I know about HQPlayer but I like the idea of accomplishing it with hardware.

Thanks
Jim

Phil A

Re: Upsampling (to DSD) players?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2017, 07:28 pm »
Hey guys

What players out there (usb, network, etc.) exist that will upsample from pcm to dsd?  I know about HQPlayer but I like the idea of accomplishing it with hardware.

Thanks
Jim

Meitner or EMM Labs DACs upsample everything.  Version one of either (MA-1 or DAC 2X) accept up to single rate DSD and upsample to double.  Version two (MA-1 or DAC 2X) accepts up to double and upsamples to 8x DSD (and may eventually accept up to quad).  The EMM Labs DA2 accepts up to double and upsamples to 16x DSD.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2017, 08:54 pm »
Lumin players can also upsample.  I use a Lumin U1 transport (no DAC) with my EMM Labs DAC 2X (version 2) in my main system.  They have models that include a DAC as well.  Many people like (never heard it personally) the entry level D1 ($2k) with an upgraded power supply ($4-500).  http://www.luminmusic.com/

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2017, 12:49 am »
Looks like this Teac does it too:

TEAC Reference NT-503

http://www.teac-audio.eu/en/products/nt-503dab-127304.html

-Jim

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2017, 02:11 am »
I use a Teac UD-501 DAC in a third system.  Very nice for the money.

rotarius

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2017, 02:58 am »
My Sony UHP-H1 bdp has a dac that outputs in native dsd.  I would assume all the PCM data is upscaled and converted to a dsd stream before being fed to the dac chip.  This used to be the case with older generations of Sony SACD players as well.
In any case, I thought all delta-sigma dacs convert PCM to DSD and then DSD to analog.

audiobomber

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:26 pm »
Old thread, but I thought I'd mention the Korg DAC's, since I own two of them.

The DS-DAC-10R, DS-DAC-100 and DS-DAC-100M can upsample to 2X DSD when used with the free Audiogate4 software. Windows and IOS only, no android.

Bonzite51

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2019, 01:26 pm »
Old thread, but I thought I'd mention the Korg DAC's, since I own two of them.

The DS-DAC-10R, DS-DAC-100 and DS-DAC-100M can upsample to 2X DSD when used with the free Audiogate4 software. Windows and IOS only, no android.
Does exist sw for cd conversion to DSD during the ripping?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2019, 02:25 pm »
  My question is why ? For me to date very few upsampled CDs are not snuff sonics wise. Recordingiginallys or recorded with DSD another story. IMO 44.1 done right is hard to beat.

charles

audiobomber

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2019, 03:28 pm »
Does exist sw for cd conversion to DSD during the ripping?
I don't think so, but I would not recommend doing so anyway. You will use an horrific amount of storage space and the converted files will sound exactly the same as they would with on-the-fly upsampling. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2019, 03:38 pm »
PS Audio DirectStream DACs upsample everything to 128DSD.

JulienS

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2019, 02:45 pm »
I have a rather old Philips DVP9000S that can upsample CDs to DSD. Philips engineers really knew how to make good stuff back then.

It is one of the very few players (with physical discs) that can do this.