Vacuum State Electronics JLTI gainclone-anyone heard one?

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
Hi Aussies

I see as a footnote to the Aussie pie that Kiwis can chime in. So here goes.

I posted a note in Audio Central yesterday about the JLTI (Just Listen To It) 35wpc tube/SS hybrid gainclone amp, but no-one responded. So I thought I would try closer to home.

Briefly, heard this and loved it. This modest integrated bests my GK-1 and AKSA55 Nirvana-Plus, and it took about 2 seconds to hear it and about 10s to confirm it.

If ever I heard a simple amp that does the basics well, this is it. The thing has good timing, fabulous imaging and staging, well defined bass (for a 35wpc unit) and drives my 95dB Adire HE10s to ear-piercing levels. Fine for me, not so good for the kids.

My boys who know nothing about audio, except what they pick up by osmosis, said Just Leave (the) Thing In. So I did.

The only detractions? No off switch for the tube section. And a hum from the unit itself (but near to dead quiet at the speakers).

Apparently, there's now a Mk II version coming, with a bigger tranny (more hum?) and cryogenically treated tubes. The pot looks nothing spectacular but works a treat. Makes me wonder what an expensive pot would do to the sound of this overachieving integrated.

It gets my vote for best integrated amp I've ever heard, comfortably, and vies for best bang for buck prize too, providing you have sensitive speakers; 90dB or more, I would have thought.

Anyone else heard or care to comment on the JLTI? Or on the new Mk II version? Or on gainclones in general?

Luigi

barfind

Vacuum State Electronics JLTI gainclone-anyone heard one?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2005, 08:38 am »
I am trying to get a listen to this amp I emailed them 2 days ago but no reply yet

Nigel

Rocket

jlti amp
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2005, 10:40 am »
Hi,

Here is a link to a tnt audio review:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/jlti_e.html

Unfortunately 35 watts wouldn't be powerful enough for me but it is great that there are inexpensive alternatives to consider.

Regards

Rocket