LIO only for Preamp

guf

LIO only for Preamp
« on: 3 Jun 2017, 10:13 pm »
Would it be worth it to only use the LIO for the DHT preamp feature? I love my amp and I love my DAC but I'd like to be able to use the 45/2A3/PX4 DHT tubes for a pre. Or would it be too wasteful to not use all the other features?

jriggy

Re: LIO only for Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2017, 11:00 pm »
Hi guf,

I am using the LIO DHT as just a preamp. I thought the same as you at first but reading about it during the release of the DHT module, I was willing to give it a try, as it read as if it was going to hit on everything I was after... it does in spades. I love it! I've owned many (more than a handful) integrateds and preamps. The LIO, even just as a preamp does it for me.

Like you, I love my amp and my DAC but the off the grid aspect is pulling me in. I will be adding the LIO DAC 2.0 module for a try when it's ready.

Jason

zybar

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2017, 11:02 pm »
Would it be worth it to only use the LIO for the DHT preamp feature? I love my amp and I love my DAC but I'd like to be able to use the 45/2A3/PX4 DHT tubes for a pre. Or would it be too wasteful to not use all the other features?

Absolutely!!

I just compared my LIO DHT to a megabuck (I think it retails for $25-30k) preamp from CAT and the LIO more than held its own.

The LIO was actually better at the extremes (with the EML 2A3 tubes) with more extension on the highs and substantially better (deeper, with better detail) bass.

The CAT was clearly better in the midrange.  The with much better body, depth, and presence.  By comparison the LIO didn't have the CAT's magic and wasn't quite as engaging.

George

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2017, 04:33 pm »

Hi guf,

Off the top of my head, I'd say around 25% of LIO orders are configured as a LIO Preamp (or preamp with dac and/or phonostage).

I think you'll have a very hard time finding a preamp with the sonic qualities of LIO DHT PRE for anywhere near its price, and if you
already love your dac and amp, why not just start with LIO Preamp?  You can always later try LIO modules later and do comparisons (with 30-day return policy).  Trying them is very easy...

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Hi zybar and jriggy,

Thanks for chiming in while I was away at LAAS!

Vinnie

bernardo

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2017, 07:13 pm »
Vinnie-
What is the approximate lead time currently for a LIO DHT PRE? Thanks.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2017, 07:30 pm »
Vinnie-
What is the approximate lead time currently for a LIO DHT PRE? Thanks.

Hi bernardo,

If you ordered a LIO DHT PREAMP this week, we should be able to ship to you by the end of this month.

Feel free to call or email me with any questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Firefightingrob

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:18 pm »
I use the Lio with AVC tubestage as a preamp/phono and headphone (on occasion).  Wonderring about tube rolling. Stock tubes are quiet and neutral, wondering if anyone can recommend tubes to add warmth and more 3d. Preferably while retaining the quiet noise floor. First time tube component owner here.

hubi

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2017, 09:13 am »
Hi Firefightingrob

I can recommend you Mullard Tubes. I have had also the AVC tubestage module, but made last summer the upgrade to the DHT. In my setup (I use the LIO as preamp with active studio monitors) the Mullard Tubes (http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_Other_brands_OEM_Tubes_Preamp_doubletriodes/E188CC_7308_Mullard_UK_made_NOS_frame_grid_tube_with_gold_pins_3812) were really far the best for the AVC tubestage (more warmth and more 3D - they were just ideal for my setup)! - For the DHT I'm still on the stock tubes .... . I have still the Mullards, so if you are interested, send me a PM.
Best, Hubi