Drives for BCd-1

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Drives for BCd-1
« on: 1 Jun 2017, 07:53 pm »
 James, are there still spare Phillips drives fort he BCD-1 ? I read that they were all used up. Is this so ?  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Drives for BCd-1
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:07 pm »
James, are there still spare Phillips drives fort he BCD-1 ? I read that they were all used up. Is this so ?  :scratch:

Yes sadly they are all gone.  We are trying to get more but so far no luck.

james

redbook

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:10 pm »
 What else could be used in the player if at all ? :(

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:55 pm »
That is a reality of disc spinners that is beyond the control of the manufacturer.  The drives are only made for a particular period of time.  My BCD-1, which I sold shortly after the BDA-1 was out and I bought one of those, is the last expensive disc spinner I will buy.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2017, 09:22 pm »
^ Have had mine for 5 years now. No issues......yet.
Not sure what would cause drive to fail, as long as I don't mechanically move the unit (and I don't). Use it for about 4-7 hrs per week (BDP/BDA get the most hrs  :thumb:)

rmurray

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2017, 05:06 pm »
 :cry: So, if my BCD-1's drive or laser stops working my unit is basically junk.... so sad and disappointing. Is it better then to use external drives with a BDA unit so as to have an option  even thought the risk of jitter is greater with a two unit system ? :scratch:

redbook

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2017, 05:17 pm »
I'm wondering what happens if this occurs with the new bcd3 unit....will repairs be possible? For players of this caliber I would like to think they can be used  infefinetly  :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2017, 06:25 pm »
I'm wondering what happens if this occurs with the new bcd3 unit....will repairs be possible? For players of this caliber I would like to think they can be used  infefinetly  :o

Hi

I think the best option is that if a drive fails and can not be fixed then we can allow a trade-in to whatever the current Bryston CD Player is.

james

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2017, 07:09 pm »
:cry: So, if my BCD-1's drive or laser stops working my unit is basically junk.... so sad and disappointing. Is it better then to use external drives with a BDA unit so as to have an option  even thought the risk of jitter is greater with a two unit system ? :scratch:

While everyone has different preferences, shelf space, priorities, etc., those are my preferences (and I've probably used the term expensive door stop in some posts).  I had the BCD-1 (bought it new).  A bit after the BDA-1 was out, I bought a used one and sold the BCD-1 for $25 more than the cost of the BDA-1.  I would have bought a BDA-1 at the time of the BCD-1 purchase if it was available.  I can tell you having owned both and having them in the same system, one would be hard pressed to hear any differences on CD playback.  At the time I got the BDA-1, I had a (solid state) modded Oppo BDP-83.  I still have the BDP-83 but the drawer is more or less frozen and since I don't do disc playback (except if someone brings one over and I have newer Oppo players I may not even look into repair).  With the BDP-83 and an HDMI audio de-embedder (there's an old thread in the discless circle), taking an SACD and outputting 24/88.2 via HDMI and into the coax input of the BDA-1, overall I preferred the presentation of the BDA-1 (the highs might have been a slim hair better on the analog outs of the player but the soundstage and presentation in my opinion was better using the de-embedder and the BDA-1). I've owned expensive disc spinners.  Now into file playback.  Electro-mechanical devices will just have more wear and tear than a DAC.  The drive manufacturer doesn't produce the drive forever and the manufacturer of the CD player has no control as the time frames the drives will be manufactured,  A DAC gives one the option (assuming one is interested of course) to play higher resolution files than CDs too.  Nothing wrong with anyone's preferences either way.

Jozsef

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2017, 05:17 am »
What else could be used in the player if at all ? :(
If we knew which drive was used then you might be able to pull a used one out of another player that utilized the same unit. I have a couple of Philips CD 450s, as an example, and I have no plans to use them again. The drives are just fine. Typical CD and DVD players are worth almost nothing on the used market so we're looking at a trivial gamble. Vastly preferable is moving to a BCD-3, of course.

BTW, are you sure it's not just a belt or lubrication issue, assuming it uses belts?

redbook

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2017, 02:53 pm »
James, how is the supply of Sony drives that are used in the bcd-3 ?  Will there be enough to keep us going if there are future breakdowns ? :scratch: :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2017, 03:27 pm »
James, how is the supply of Sony drives that are used in the bcd-3 ?  Will there be enough to keep us going if there are future breakdowns ? :scratch: :thumb:

Hi

So far so good but like all things in this business they can make changes and not inform us.

james

AndrewA

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2017, 06:18 pm »
If we knew which drive was used then you might be able to pull a used one out of another player that utilized the same unit. I have a couple of Philips CD 450s, as an example, and I have no plans to use them again. The drives are just fine. Typical CD and DVD players are worth almost nothing on the used market so we're looking at a trivial gamble. Vastly preferable is moving to a BCD-3, of course.

BTW, are you sure it's not just a belt or lubrication issue, assuming it uses belts?

It's a Philips L1210 CD drive.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2017, 06:29 pm »
I don't know if this helps but I've seen stuff like - https://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-LOADER-L1210-Laser-Mechanism/dp/B01FR5984G

As I noted, it is difficult for the CD player manufacturer.  They have no control over what another company does.

rmurray

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2017, 07:32 pm »
 James,I'm wondering with all this concern about discontinued cd drives would it be a better idea to use the Bryston  BOT unit with a BDA  2 or 3..If so what is the drive in the  BOT  and can it be replaced if it blows... :?.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2017, 07:34 pm »
James,I'm wondering with all this concern about discontinued cd drives would it be a better idea to use the Bryston  BOT unit with a BDA  2 or 3..If so what is the drive in the  BOT  and can it be replaced if it blows... :?.

HI

Its a Panasonic drive and they are more universal but no guarantees.

james

rmurray

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2017, 08:14 pm »
 Thanks  James. Do you mean that they are more common and easier to attain. ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2017, 09:22 pm »
Thanks  James. Do you mean that they are more common and easier to attain. ?

Yes

james

rmurray

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jun 2017, 06:32 pm »
 Well that is a comforting....if I go that route . What would I do if I could never play my cds ?.... I prefer to spin a record  rather than store downloads....old fashioned I guess.  :lol:

redbook

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2017, 06:35 pm »
Yes, same here.....love just playing a record....perhaps I too am too set in my ways..... LOL