The Ring

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
The Ring
« on: 5 Mar 2003, 08:55 am »
Just watched The Ring tonight; damn, I'm not even sure what to think.  A pretty baffling movie.  It just didn't make a lot of sense to me.  However, Naomi Watts is an uberhottie, so it may be worth another go just so see if I can figure it out.

Anyone else see this head scratcher?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
The Ring
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2003, 09:34 pm »
Okay, it was late when I posted: here's a little more in depth analysis.

THIS CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS!  DON'T READ IT IF YOU PLAN TO SEE THE MOVIE AND DON'T WANT THE SURPISES RUINED!

I think this movie was imaginative, and it had some virtues, but overall I didn't really love it.

For the things I liked: the cast was superb, and the acting was absolutely topnotch.  I particularly liked Naomi Watts performance.  Her portrayal of the somewhat-arrogant, cynical & hard bitten reporter changes slowly &  skillfully as the supposed urban legend became chillingly real.  The movie did create suspense, and it was genuinely creepy.

The look of the DVD is excellent, with a beautiful and natural color palette, though purposefully muted.  The cinematagraphy was first rate, too.  I loved the overall look of the film.

However, the movie has some flaws, at least to me.  Firstly, you can tell the kid is a sorta creepy, spooky, "I see dead people" type of "kid with the second sight" kind of kid, a la "The Sixth Sense" or "Stir of Echoes".  But there's no explanation why.  We largely know he will be due to the fact that the director & writer cast a creepy looking kid and make sure he's written to be really odd.  But c'mon!  The "kid with strange visions" deal is getting old.  I bought into it in TSS & SoE, but now I want an explanation!  Why did he draw his cousing dead a week before she died?  And how was he communicating with the girl?

Next, what the hell was the girl?  The implication is that she was concieved under a bad sign, so to speak.  Was it magic?  Bad medicine?  Is she a demon?  The devil?  We don't know, and the movie never tells us.  Maybe they were going for a sense of mystery, but I just found it bewildering.

And what did she/it want?  Apparently just to be evil.  There isn't much motivation besides this.  I suppose maybe they were trying to be unconventional and creative, but some conventions are needed for the movie to make sense.

Lastly, the I didn't like the ending.  Not just because there's no resolution, though.  That's another one you could view either way.  Sure, it's kind of a Hollywood cliche that the good guys win and the bad guys lose, but the teen-slasher-type of ending where the bad guy always sticks his hand up thru his grave after he's buried or jumps out of a closed before the credits roll is a worse cliche yet.  And the "solution" the heroin finds to save her son is intriguing in a sense; she finds a way to pass the buck, essentially assuring that others will die instead of him.  A bit disappointing, but again, in reality, what would one of us NOT do to save our child?

All in all, an intriguing movie, but one that fell a bit short of the hype it generated.

bubba966

The Ring
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2003, 11:38 am »
I caught it in the theater. While I thought it was fairly decent it was just a touch confusing from what I recall.

But I do think they're going ahead with the Prequel, which should clear up most questions about the little girl.

After seeing it opening weekend, I had to get the original as I'd heard that the US remake was nothing compared to the original. I'd picked up a copy that weekend, but I've yet to watch it yet. Guess I shoulda just bought it straight from the UK. It woulda been cheaper than what I'd paid locally, but would have taken a few days longer to get.

I've yet to pick up the US version. Are any of the extras worth a damn?

Lost81

Watch the Original, "Ringu"
« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2003, 04:48 pm »
Get the original, "Ringu"
It is better, and more frightening.

"The Ring" had such terrible loose ends that I died laffing.

benny