JJAZ FOD Isolation foot REVIEW

Wayne1

JJAZ FOD Isolation foot REVIEW
« on: 4 Dec 2004, 05:37 pm »
On Audio Asylum, ZOG has been on an isolation device binge. He has tried many different devices at many differnt prices.

I sent him a few sets of the JJAZ FOD to see how they compared with some of the big dollar stuff.

Here is his review:

Anyway, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I like the JJAZ Fod. The Fods are so mundane looking that, well, let's just say I had low expectations. A JJAZ Fod package consists of four sets of squishy circles each with four concentric rings cut into it and glue on one side to bond to your shelf. The largest ring is perhaps an inch in diameter and about 3/8" tall. You choose the size of ring which corresponds to the weight of your product. Theoretically you could support four components with one set of Fods. The Fods cost $16.

An audiophile friend of mine from Maryland (a Jeff Rowland guy) was visiting and we decided to break out the Fods an give them a try. We first listened to the Relaxa as a reference point. We also listened to the SACD player with its stock feet. We inserted the Fods by attaching them to an intermediate shelf made of the same MDF as my rack and then placing the intermediate shelf on the rack. The SACD player was then placed upon the intermediate shelf. I'm going to quote my friend as a summary and then say a few more words, "How the hell did they do that?"

So what did they do. Most obvious was an increased sense of midrange presence without creating a bloated musical landscape. Other qualities, versus the stock feet, included a cleaner and clearer sonic landscape (improved microdynamics), taughter bass and less sibilance. The Fods were not the equal of the Relaxa, but they also don't cost $750. We were so excited that we decided to quickly throw in the Finite Elementes and Aurios. Bottom line is that they were not the equal of either of these products, but neither were they completely put to shame. For audiophiles on a budget, this is a nice tweak. Just don't expect much when you first open the package. I imagine your disappointment will disappear when you put them in your system and hit play.