New JBL Quincy Jones Headphone

witchdoctor

New JBL Quincy Jones Headphone
« on: 19 May 2017, 01:48 pm »
I see JBL is releasing the new Quincy Jones headphones in June. Can anyone comment on JBL headphones in general or the AKG version of the Quincy HP? Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New JBL Quincy Jones Headphone
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 02:24 pm »
The AKG QJ were discussed in an old topic not with his name in the title, but I do not have the link.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 02:51 pm »
The AKG QJ were discussed in an old topic not with his name in the title, but I do not have the link.

Thanks, I have not done headphones in ages but a combination of needing a bluetooth headset and late night movie watching is getting me to shop. I am a JBL fan boy and figured how can you go wrong with Q?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 04:38 pm »
The AKG Q701 were not much more than a recoloured K701.

Measurement variances can fall under manufacturing differences over time, as there have been so many re-releases of the K701, 702, Q701, K712, K7xx, etc (I've owned or heard roughly six different pairs now). One could ostensibly make an argument that the Q701 was tuned to have slightly higher bass distortion thus making it seem fuller in that region.

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 06:31 pm »
OK, thanks. The AKG's were like $1500 the new JBL's are like $200, hopefully they use some trickle down tech.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2017, 10:02 pm »
When I was at Harman I listened to a JBL prototype headphone.  I have no idea what the model was/is though.  Sounded good but I'm far from a headphone guy. 

goskers

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2017, 10:21 pm »
I recently purchased a pair of JBL Everest Elite 700 headphones.  These were mentioned to me while we were at Harman.  They share some of the newer Harman earphone development pushes such as TruNote.  I really don't have much for headphone experience.  I have typically had IEM style in the past. 

These are my first pair with active noise cancellation.  I think an IEM with a proper seal does a better job at keeping things out overall.  You are able to select how much external noise is let in via the app.  This could be very nice for normal public use. 

The sound overall is such that nothing has stood out to me.  This is usually a good sign. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2017, 11:08 pm »
I recently purchased a pair of JBL Everest Elite 700 headphones.  These were mentioned to me while we were at Harman.  They share some of the newer Harman earphone development pushes such as TruNote.  I really don't have much for headphone experience.  I have typically had IEM style in the past. 

These are my first pair with active noise cancellation.  I think an IEM with a proper seal does a better job at keeping things out overall.  You are able to select how much external noise is let in via the app.  This could be very nice for normal public use. 

The sound overall is such that nothing has stood out to me.  This is usually a good sign.

Thanks, on JBL website the Everest and QJ are the same price but QJ are not out for two weeks. Sounds like either one will be a good choice. Thanks

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2017, 04:41 am »
That's a joke, they're headphones, of coarse you're going to buy them Dale

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2017, 11:20 am »
I never did get the QJ versions of the AKG, altho I had the K712.  But my excuse here will be I haven't had any JBL's, so this should be interesting.  BTW, am I imagining it, or is Harman gobbling up more brands now?

They just partnered with Canton-

http://news.harman.com/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2017, 12:29 pm »
Well, my bad.  All this time, Harman has been a subsidiary of Samsung.
Ouch!! :o

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2017, 03:22 pm »

The news says its primarily for the car products. A lot of synergies across the board though.

goskers

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2017, 03:32 pm »
We learned that Harman is and has been focusing a lot on the headphone market as of late.  They have been doing a lot of research on this area.  I am not sure of which new products have or will have the latest development curves.  I believe the model that I ordered does. 

Harman certainly has the resources to make a great product.  I am excited to see what comes out of their camp in the near future.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2017, 03:21 pm »
As a result, all AKG production has been "offshored" to China (I don't know about the other brands and/or product lines, but the Austrian AKG headphones are apparently done.) Nothing against Chinese goods per se, I've got Chinese made equipment (my Shure SE535's for example), but I feel for the Austrian workforce that got sold out for the almighty buck.