OB servo subs and Gingko Arches

celebrat

OB servo subs and Gingko Arches
« on: 18 May 2017, 12:12 pm »
Just wanted give an FYI on my experience with Gingko Audio ARCH 1. I have no connection with Gingko other than purchasing a set ARCH 1 for my OB servo Subs

To be short and sweet. Wooden floor covered with carpet about 16x 21 room open in the back. I was using spikes into the floor. I installed the ARC1 (4 for each speaker) took less than 5 minutes.

Instantly audible improvement. Not small. Substantial increase in soundstage, bass resolution and seemingly lower bass added with no boom. Highly recommended. Sane Audiocircle style pricing.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

www.ginkgoaudio.com

BobRex

Re: OB servo subs and Gingko Arches
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2017, 12:38 pm »
Call me a cynic, but it looks like all they did was slice up a sonotube or something similar.  Two of the pictures show what appear to be spiral laminates across the top of the arch.  I don't doubt they work, I just doubt their provenance.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2017, 01:59 pm »
Call me a cynic, but it looks like all they did was slice up a sonotube or something similar.  Two of the pictures show what appear to be spiral laminates across the top of the arch.  I don't doubt they work, I just doubt their provenance.

Here is their whitepaper like 'info': http://www.ginkgoaudio.com/archtech/

Basically the usual constrained layer dampening.

I love the whole 'patent-pending' catch and bait scheme. Unless there is a patent, it's a useless ploy, although an excellent marketing strategy. Lots of floobydust wording to boot!  :thumb:

That being said his Cloud vibration platforms are patented so maybe there is hope...some scientific testing from a 3rd party, like the NRC would be nice.

Best,
Anand.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2017, 02:42 pm »
Here is their whitepaper like 'info': http://www.ginkgoaudio.com/archtech/

Basically the usual constrained layer dampening.

I love the whole 'patent-pending' catch and bait scheme. Unless there is a patent, it's a useless ploy, although an excellent marketing strategy. Lots of floobydust wording to boot!  :thumb:

That being said his Cloud vibration platforms are patented so maybe there is hope...some scientific testing from a 3rd party, like the NRC would be nice.

Best,
Anand.

Floobydust indeed!

I don't hate that stuff like this exists nor do I necessarily assume it has no effect. What I object to is the absolute balderdash used to market it. Seems to me it wasn't created with the stated purpose in mind, but rather an existing product made to look proprietary and then shrouded in hyperbole.

Were I to guess, it looks like phenolic pipe sectioned as suggested above. Not on the shelves in most hardware stores, but not exactly an obscure, purpose made audio product. 

On the other hand, if I were looking to start a business, the audio arena seems to invite charlatanry with open arms. But alas, I have enough trouble sleeping without adding a feeling of guilt.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2017, 06:56 pm »
Looks to me like phenolic tubing.  McMaster-Carr?
PeterJ, I have the same problem with conscience or I'd be in the Audio snake oil biz.  The epitome to emulate would be the guy at The Show in Vegas a few years ago who had ceramic objects (looked just like upside-down coffee cups) on which he laid speaker cables to keep them off the floor and away from those evil electric currents and radiations we all know lie in wait in floors.  He was followed around the room by 2 fawning fan-boys lavishing him with praise.  I had to leave the room before I threw up. :roll:  Big time would be Bose - having convinced the masses the it is high quality sound by spending millions on advertising.  Let's not leave out Monster.  I'd better stop before I attract flames :D

celebrat

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2017, 10:23 am »
WOW you guys are a tough crowd :lol:

It maybe looks like phenolic tubing but an edge view shows what appears to be various layers of density. I've never seen phenolic tubing so I really don't know. I doubt it is sonotube. It works very well for me so I don't feel it is snake oil, floobydust or bait and switch. If a material is repurposed for something different from the original use does that mean it has no value? You know like Teflon in a non stick fry pan or Titanium in a golf club?  :deadhorse:

The cost is significantly less than a bunch of marbles between metal plates or springs in a cup. It works. I think it's clever. :peek:

Have any of you posters actually done anything to address the issue I'm talking about with their OB subs? Or do you just talk about it? :flame:

I love these emoticons and I mean no harm :surrender: :kiss:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2017, 11:51 am »
WOW you guys are a tough crowd :lol:

It maybe looks like phenolic tubing but an edge view shows what appears to be various layers of density. I've never seen phenolic tubing so I really don't know. I doubt it is sonotube. It works very well for me so I don't feel it is snake oil, floobydust or bait and switch. If a material is repurposed for something different from the original use does that mean it has no value? You know like Teflon in a non stick fry pan or Titanium in a golf club?  :deadhorse:

The cost is significantly less than a bunch of marbles between metal plates or springs in a cup. It works. I think it's clever. :peek:

Have any of you posters actually done anything to address the issue I'm talking about with their OB subs? Or do you just talk about it? :flame:

I love these emoticons and I mean no harm :surrender: :kiss:

Celebrat, as stated in my post "I don't hate that stuff like this exists nor do I necessarily assume it has no effect".  So you've tried spikes and these arches and there's a difference between them. Did you try setting sub directly on carpet? Tennis balls? Golf balls? Foam? Beef enchiladas? Any number of things might change the way they sound to you, but without knowing what is actually going on it seems like changes (improvements?) are just sort of steeped in mystery.

And that's the crux of my beef with stuff like this. If the marketing introduces the possibility and then ladles on the pseudo-science interspersed with audio buzzwords my bullshit meter starts going off.

The circular discussions that ensue are not fun for me and they just prove we might have different points of view, nothing more. If you like it, cool. 'nuff said.

celebrat

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2017, 12:24 pm »
I get it Peter. I did try no spikes on the carpet and tennis balls. Neither worked.  I would have tried the enchiladas but I ate them first. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciated

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2017, 05:45 pm »
I used hockey pucks with spikes.  cheap and works well too..  INHO MTC

celebrat

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2017, 05:13 pm »
Thanks John. Glad to see somebody is doing something that works well too.