Rev 5 impression for 550ex

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« on: 1 Dec 2004, 05:13 am »
Got the 550exr back from AVA a week ago, with the spankin new rev5 upgrade done to it and thought I'd post a little bit of impressions.

Overall it is an evolutionary improvement, not a revolutionary one.  What I mean is that the 550 still sounds like a 550, but with the rev5 it improves incrementally in several areas.

First is bass, definitely tighter and more percussive, I'm very happy with that.  Next is the midrange clarity, which is even more transparent than it was before.  A bit of softness and fuzziness in the sound was cleaned up.  Not that I thought it was soft or fuzzy before, but it's one of those things that you don't notice until its gone.

Next improvement is overall integration of the sound.  I'm actually less aware of listening to bass, midrange, and treble as seperate ranges, and find I just get lost in the music.  

The designer of my speakers (the RM40's from VMPS Audio - Brian Cheney) visited me recently and said that my system was the best home setup of his speakers he's ever heard.  The AVA 550exR and T7R were a big part of that, and with the new rev5 upgrade its just gotten better.  So, thanks Frank for making truly world class gear at real world prices.  I wouldn't trade the sound I'm getting now for anything.

aln

EXR-Series 5 Tube changes
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2004, 02:20 pm »
Have you tried changing any of the 12AT7's?  I know that changing them on my Trans 7 Preamp was a worthwhile exercise with Telefunkin emerging the winner.  Haven't tried my EXR amp yet so am interested if anyone has tried this.

aln

EXR-Series 5 Tube changes
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2004, 02:20 pm »
Have you tried changing any of the 12AT7's?  I know that changing them on my Trans 7 Preamp was a worthwhile exercise with Telefunkin emerging the winner.  Haven't tried my EXR amp yet so am interested if anyone has tried this.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2004, 02:44 pm »
How did I miss this one?  Thanks Tyson, looks like you just cost me some money!  In a good way of course.

J :D

Grover

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2004, 10:15 pm »
Tyson (or others):

Do you have any experience with the FET Valve amps as compared to all-tube amps?  I really enjoy the three dimensional soundstage, air around instruments and mid-range lushness characterized by good EL34 tube amps, for example.  I'm wondering how the AVA FET Valve amps do in this regard?
Thanks

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2004, 04:56 am »
Sure, I've heard a lot of all tube amps in my time.  IMO the FetValves get closer to an all-tubed sound with something like Brimars or Mullards in there, but even then they are not "tube amps".  They don't quite have that 3 dimensional 'reach out and touch' palpability that great tube amps have.  But on the other hand, all tube amps I've heard tend to sound slow, undynamic, and lacking in rhythm compared to the FetValves.  

What I can say is that the 550exr rev5 is as smooth and musical a solid state amp as I've heard, exhibiting none of the hardness or grain that most solid state amps exhibit.  In otherwords, it has most of the strengths of both technologies, and very few of either of their weaknesses.

Also, the AVA gear is incredibly synergistic with other AVA gear.  The 550exr rev5 sounds a lot better with the Transcedence 7r than it has with any other preamp (tube or solid state) that I've tried it with.

Wally King

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2004, 06:00 pm »
Tyson,

My new AVA 550exr was delivered over the weekend; so far, so good. I'm using it with the basic preamp from Gary Dodd, and was intrigued by your statement that the 550exr sounds best with an AVA preamp.

What other preamps had you used before settling on the AVA hybrid?  Did you ever try the AVA all-tube preamp?

Thanks for your insights.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2004, 09:03 pm »
My 550 Ex-R Rev 5 came back and I've only listened since yesterday, but I perceive the Rev 5 to be almost more improvement than was realized by the R.  The image, clarity and overall "realness" seem significantly improved.  FYI, my pre is a T7-R and my D/A is also a T -R. Speakers are Frank suggested xover mods on B & W 801s.