Electrical Hum

firestic

Electrical Hum
« on: 30 Nov 2004, 09:06 pm »
A few months back I had a mechanical (transformer) hum in my new stratos which got tracked down to a few odd appliances running some weirdness into the amp. Well all that is gone via a power conditioner, no problems. The amp has been mechaniclly quiet ever since.

I recently added a Mapletree 4Ase preamp to the mix to warm things up a bit and to try my hand at the tube thing. I'm hooked.

However, since adding the MAD pre I have developed an electrical hiss from the speakers. So as with the Stratos' hum I began the process of elimination.

The bottom line is: the hiss is still present w/ nothing hooked to the speakers except the Stratos. No ic's whatsoever.

What could be causing such a thing? I'm pretty sure it's not a fuse because I've already experienced that joy on the second day I had the Stratos, so I think I know what THAT sounds like. This hiss is very quiet as you must put your ear right up to the driver. But when you do it is very apparent.

Thanks for your help, you guys here at the circle cleared up my previous hum in very short order and I was impressed and thankful.

Larry

kenny66

Electrical Hum
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2004, 12:09 am »
Hello..a little hiss is no big deal..as long as you don't hear it across the room its ok..every system i owned had some hiss...did not effect the sound...don't worry enjoy the music...