Tube Phono Pre

mca

Tube Phono Pre
« on: 25 Mar 2017, 05:02 pm »
Besides Decware and Rogue, who makes a good tube phono preamp with exposed tubes?

undertowogt1

Re: Tube Phono Pre
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2017, 06:58 pm »
If you want to go DIY you could look into a kit from Bottlehead. I made the REDUCTION PHONO AMP and it sounds very nice and was fun to build.

http://bottlehead.com/?product=reduction-phono-preamplifier-kit

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2017, 08:08 pm »
This pre has good reviews, I was wanting to purchase but went with a MC cart.

http://parksaudiollc.com/budgiepreamp.html

tubes4hifi

• Industry Participant
  • "the path of least resistance is thru a vacuum"
    • Tubes4HiFi
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm »
VacuumTubeAudio (Tubes4HiFi) PH16-X

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2017, 11:55 pm »
Eastern electric, Hagerman,  Pro-ject, Allnic, Zesto?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2017, 12:52 am »
mca,

I have not heard this phono pre, but I very happily own Don's Model 2 (SP14) preamp.

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom%20tube%20phono%20stage.html

londonbarn

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2017, 01:15 am »
Transcendent Sound makes a VERY good phono stage...

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2017, 04:46 pm »

JuicyMusic Tercel.  Been enjoying mine for years.  No longer made, so only available used.  If you see one in good shape, jump on it.  It's great.

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2017, 04:50 pm »
Parks Budgie is silly good for it's very reasonable new price.  Loaner from a local friend was in my system for awhile -- detailed, dimensional, dynamic, musical and dead quiet.

mca

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2017, 06:54 pm »
Wow, a lot more choices than I thought. I should add that I am using a Pro-Ject Xtension 10 table with a Sumiko Blackbird hi output MC cartridge.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2017, 07:14 pm »
I had a Zesto Andros with Bugle Boy 12ax7's that were exposed. I am now sorry I sold it....currently using an ARC  PH6 which sounds great, but the Zesto had some magic...

AvFan

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm »
Parks Budgie is silly good for it's very reasonable new price.  Loaner from a local friend was in my system for awhile -- detailed, dimensional, dynamic, musical and dead quiet.

I put a matched pair of NOS Amperex 7308s in my Budgie and it went to a new level over the supplied EH 6922s.

jsm71

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2017, 05:04 pm »
mca,

I have not heard this phono pre, but I very happily own Don's Model 2 (SP14) preamp.

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom%20tube%20phono%20stage.html

I haven't gotten it yet, but I have Don's phono stage on order.  I opted for a cherry wood case and metal top plate where the tubes will be exposed.  I'm pretty excited based on reading everything I could up to this point.  I'll no doubt report back here once I get a handle on its performance.  I've been using my Cary SLP98P preamp with phono section up to this point.  I have no doubt Don's will be a huge sound upgrade.

Don's product is based on Vacuum Tube Audio's PH-16 kit which has tons of positive feedback.  Don is well documented for his efforts to improve existing circuitry with better parts and I frankly don't have the skills or interest to build VTA's kit myself.  If you are a DIY guy, just get their kit.

roboss38

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2017, 05:27 pm »
I had a Zesto Andros with Bugle Boy 12ax7's that were exposed. I am now sorry I sold it....currently using an ARC  PH6 which sounds great, but the Zesto had some magic...

I run my Andros with Mullard 12ax7's, and it's a sublime combo.

earwig

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2017, 11:00 am »
An old Counterpoint if you lucky enough to find a used one.

joegator81

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2017, 12:05 pm »
I just recently acquired a used eastern electric minimax with 3 12ax7 tubes and one 6x4 rectifier. Rolling has been very rewarding so far. I've added nos rca blackplate triple mica 5751 tubes to the outside positions with great results. I contacted the importer, Morningstar audio, to confirm the lower gain in the 5751 wouldn't mess with the signal and was given the thumbs up. I really like this pre for, its $1500 new

twitch54

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2017, 01:35 pm »
I continue to use and enjoy my Fosgate Signature phono pre. No longer in production, but I suspect you could find a nice used.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/fosgate-signature-phonostage-preamplifier-fozgometer-azimuth-range-meter-tas-206/

chgolatin2

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2017, 04:50 pm »

I have the same pre amp, however I have not upgraded the stock tubes :(

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2017, 05:46 pm »

I have the same pre amp, however I have not upgraded the stock tubes :(

Sounded pretty darn good to me with the stock tubes!

Matter of fact, when I inserted some nice NOS Amperex PQ I actually preferred the stock sound.   :o     :scratch:

Maybe a case of a circuit built around a specific tube?    :dunno:

chgolatin2

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2017, 09:33 pm »
Sounded pretty darn good to me with the stock tubes!

Matter of fact, when I inserted some nice NOS Amperex PQ I actually preferred the stock sound.   :o     :scratch:

Maybe a case of a circuit built around a specific tube?    :dunno:

Sound is all subjective to each individual ear, so thats maybe the case  :lol: