XLR and Speakon connectors

Al Garay

« on: 29 Nov 2004, 03:56 am »
When I upgrade my AKSA 100N monoblocks to N+, I'm looking for the flexibility to support RCA and XLR input connectors. Can I do this without a switch? I want to be able to use XLR-XLR ICs with my digital crossover for an active system as well as use RCA ICs for my passive system.

Same thing with Speakon connectors. I really like using them for my woofers. And I'm thinking of using the Neutrik gold contact Speakon connectors for the output. It would be nice to have a Speakon and regular 4mm binding posts without having to use a switch.

thanks,

Al

andyr

Re: XLR and Speakon connectors
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2004, 04:53 am »
Quote from: Al Garay
When I upgrade my AKSA 100N monoblocks to N+, I'm looking for the flexibility to support RCA and XLR input connectors. Can I do this without a switch? I want to be able to use XLR-XLR ICs with my digital crossover for an active system as well as use RCA ICs for my passive system.

Same thing with Speakon connectors. I really like using them for my woofers. And I'm thinking of using the Neutrik gold contact Speakon connectors for the output. It would be nice to have a Speakon and regular 4mm binding posts without having to use a switch.

thanks,

Al
Yes, Al, on the inside of the AKSA simply wire your RCA & XLR connectors together and then onto the PCB.  No switch is required ... but make sure only one thing is plugged into either the XLR or the RCA.

Likewise on output.

In both cases, it would be better to have the one piece of wire going from input (or output) A --> B --> PCB ... ie. strip a piece of insulation from the middle of the wire for soldering to B, don't cut it.

Regards,

Andy

Al Garay

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2004, 05:49 am »
Excellent Andy. I appreciate the tip on the wiring.

Al

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2004, 11:07 pm »
Thanks Andy,

Al, Andy is right on the money.  Good solution!

Cheers,

Hugh

Al Garay

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2004, 01:53 am »
Hugh,

Which binding posts are you using?

thanks,

Al

Lost81

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2004, 02:16 am »
Parts Connexion has some binding posts on discount.
They look functional.
Certainly not audio jewelry however (and the prices reflect that):

$4.75/set

$8.95/set

The following are from Parts Express:

$2.45/each

$8.88/each - WBT Close-Out. (Only Red left though)

Hope this helps  :P

-Lost81

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2004, 04:10 am »
Hi Al,

I use the BP-30PR Superior Electric binding posts, second picture down in Benny's post.  Used on Carys, these are excellent value for money and very good sonically.

Cheers,

Hugh

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2004, 05:05 am »
Al,

Whatever posts you use, make sure they're copper. I'm pretty sure that both Vampire & Cardas make copper posts. And I know Eichmann has just started making copper binding posts. The Eichmann's are aparently an interesting design (somewhere along the lines of their Bayonet/Banana plugs).

If you've not seen the Eichmann Bayonets, I've got 'em on my current speaker cables. And I've been happier with those over any other bananas I've tried (generic, Monster, AQ, Kimber, Vampire, B&W, and others I'm not remembering at the moment). So while I've not seen any pics of their posts yet, Those are what I'd personally use (and will use on my speaks when I've got the $ to spare).

Seano

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2004, 05:26 am »
Quote from: AKSA
I use the BP-30PR Superior Electric binding posts, second picture down in Benny's post.  Used on Carys, these are excellent value for money and very good sonically.

I scored a pair of these from Hugh and they are dead cheap (I think I had to give Hugh AU$15 or some such) BUT they are very good quality for the dollars involved.

By comparison, the Cardas copper posts would've required around $80.

One thing that might be important to you with Hugh's posts is that they are not suited to unterminated fat wire. Basicall the hole in the post is just 3mm or so.

So I had to terminate my wire. Just to horrify the audiophiles amongst us, I made the fork fittings from some cheap ring type crimp fittings. Mainly cause I didn't have any fork fittings that would go round the binding posts.
It certainly works and sounds quite fine.

If one of you doesn't have a tin ear (like me) then I'd really like to know if you can tell the difference between flash harry crimp forks and the cheapies from the auto sparkie......

Al Garay

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2004, 06:18 am »
The Superior Electrics are the ones I was thinking of getting. The model number I had was BP30-2BR10 looks similar to the 1st picture.  I have not found a better source/price than the set you are offering. So, I'll add a set of them to the kit order.

Yes. I would like to have the top-of-the line WBT, Cardas and Vampire but I'll start with the standard Nirvana Plus components first. For the same reasons that I'll probably wait for the teflon caps upgrade.

Seano, I'm confident that a 4mm or standard banana plug will work with these. I've looked at their manual several times, including just now:
http://www.superiorelectric.com/PDF/Connector-catalog.pdf

thanks,

Al

Lost81

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2004, 06:48 am »
Hi Al,

For what it's worth, I couldn't tell a difference when I changed the stock Brass/gold-plated binding posts on my speakers to the WBT Midline Copper/gold-plated binding posts. They do have a death-grip on the spades and look pretty though :mrgreen:

Cheers,
-Lost81

pea

I used Cardas
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2004, 01:51 pm »
I was worried about 'fat fingering' my speaker wires when connecting them to my AKSA 100N+ so I used Cardas' 'Patented' copper binding post. Provides a little more protection against shorting the speaker connection on the amp.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=oem&pagestring2=Patented%20Binding%20Posts&pagestring=Patented%20Binding%20Posts+(closeup)&content_id=10&part_id=53

Bruce

Seano

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2004, 10:16 pm »
Al
Those SE ones are the first picture for sure. And they're fine.

Yep they'll take a banana plug no worries but I haven't found a banana plug of decent build yet in Oz AND one that will fit 8mm of wire - my setup is biwired using 4mm QED Silver Anniversary and all B plugs I've seen are flat out managing the single cable let alone two.  So I've gone for the crimp spades.

Incidentally, I've found I can match the WBT crimp using a vice and a phillips head screwdriver. A hammer and pin punch works really well too but holding everything together with one hand whilst hammering with the other tends to lead to accidents hence the former method - slower but safer!

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2004, 01:36 am »
I have speakon connectors on my Spectron amp and I love them!  IMO the whole industry should adopt them!  Neutrix also has Powercon connectors, which is more or less a 3 pole version for power cords.  I think these are a great idea and I might use them for my future amp buildings.

Al Garay

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2004, 05:56 am »
Josh,

Doing a quick google search, the Powercon is an excellent idea with several advantages over IEC:

* Mounts in a round hole, same size as an XLR, avoids the headache of making the cutout for the IEC.
* It uses a special leaf spring-type contact developed by Neutrik and provides considerable contact area compared to typical IECs.
* It's also a locking connector so it doesn't come loose.
* Costs $3 for chassis input connector, $6 for input cable connector from www.partsexpress.com.

I like it.  

Regarding a good banana that comes from pro-audio gear, check out:
G&H Industries The Boss double banana plug BBN
http://www.ghplugs.com/
and available for $3.29/each from:
http://www.audiogear.com/Audio-Adapters-Banana-Plugs.html

Audiogear.com has very good prices on Neutrik connectors.

Al

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 1 Dec 2004, 03:33 pm »
Bummer....  :cry:

The Powercon isn't suppose to be used in place of an IEC terminal.

Note: PowerCon® is not designed to be a "mains" connector or for speaker/amplifier applications. For speaker applications please see the Speakon® series.

I am dissapointed to see that, I had hoped to use it for that application as it seems like a much better connector than IEC, which I have never liked.  Since we are DIYers, we don't have to go with the norm, we can go with what makes sense.   Of course you can ignore the warning and do it anyway but I fear you may risk your own safety should something go wrong.  It is only rated for 20A/250 (10A/120).  

Since the Speakon is designed to work with massive amounts of current maybe I'll just use 3 of the 4 poles for mains input instead.

Al Garay

« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2004, 05:08 pm »
I read that as well. But PS Audio is using Powercon for input and output in their power filters:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/p600_export.asp

Time to call Neutrik.

Al

andyr

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2004, 09:17 pm »
Quote from: Seano
Al
Yep they'll take a banana plug no worries but I haven't found a banana plug of decent build yet in Oz AND one that will fit 8mm of wire - ...
Sean,

Have you tried the "Multi-Contact" 4mm Multilam BPs (www.multi-contact.com)?  These have aither a round hole to solder/crimp the wire into or the end of the tube is cut away, so you get a channel to take the wire and solder.

I bought mine from Edward Keller (electronic parts wholesaler in Melb & other places).

Regards,

Andy

Occam

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2004, 09:27 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Bummer....  :cry:

The Powercon isn't suppose to be used in place of an IEC terminal.

I am dissapointed to ...

Josh,

I don't believe Neutrik's statement was meant to imply that the Powercons couldn't be used to replace the IEC plugs and sockets, rather that it is not 'Agency' approved for use as a mains outlets and plugs, i.e. you shouldn't use it to repalce your wall sockets and plugs....

As I recall, they have full the approvals to be used for chassis mounting and connection, within their specs....

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2004, 09:39 pm »
Ahhh...thanks Occam, I would never had read it that way from the way it was written but it makes sense now.