20 Amp Surge protector -- OK to replace with 15 amp cord?

Wayner

• Audio by Van Alstine Industry Participant
Re: 20 Amp Surge protector -- OK to replace with 15 amp cord?
« Reply #60 on: 17 Apr 2017, 09:07 pm »
OK.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2017, 06:31 pm by Wayner »

Don480

« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 10:04 pm »
Hi, I know this thread is old but I hope someone can answer my question.  I have three Crown itech amps which are 20 amp.  I have been using a Furman 20amp to 15amp adapter since I do not have 20amp receptacles in my home, and thus far I have never had any issues or tripped my breaker.  I am shopping for a BrickWall or ZeroSurge protector and trying to decide what the better route would be.  Purchasing a 20 am surge and using a single Furman adapter to connect to the wall or purchasing a 15amp surge protector and using the adapters with my amps which I am currently doing?  Pros and cons?  Which is optimal for performance and protection?

Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 11:25 pm »
Don, I cant imagine why you use all these electric treatment stuff.
These equips wont add more Tension/Current to your electric energy, they will only try do something.

Why you need protection?
?Do you will run your beloved hi-fi system during a storm?
?Do you need let your expensive system plugged on the wall 24/7?
I unplug my system from the wall after a listening.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Don, I cant imagine why you use all these electric treatment stuff.
These equips wont add more Tension/Current to your electric energy, they will only try do something.
Why you need protection?
?Do you will run your beloved hi-fi system during a storm?
....................................... .......
I agree.
Surge suppression is about high voltage events. The only difference between a 15A and a 20A point of use surge suppressor is the style of plug and receptacle that they have.
Both 15A & 20A dual receptacles have the same internal current rating. The only difference is the pin style.

The best surge suppression is a whole home system, installed at/near the main breaker panel.

Don480

I always thought unplugging equipment is bad for the caps but I suppose it’s only bad if you have it u plugged for a long time?  What whole house surge protector do you recommend?  I assume I need to get an electrician to install?  I was looking at whole house surge protection awhile back and got so confused when came upon a company that offers whole house solution but also recommended surge within the house as well...can anyone clarify if that is necessary if I install a whole house solution?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I cant inform about caps life as I have not see any test on it, seems this is a rule thumb. I cant inform on house surge protectors as I located overseas.

If I complaint my power company on surge protectors they will install one such device at a additional cost. Sorry this poor help.

It could help to know if your house or building have a working grounding for lightning protection.