Gran Prix

Charles Calkins

Gran Prix
« on: 3 Mar 2017, 08:05 am »

Hi Guys:

TCM in February had a lot of very good old movies on their site. I downloaded about a dozen of them.
       I just finished watching Gran Prix with James Garner. Eva Marie Saint and lot of other very good actors.
       It was a VERY GOOD movie!!!! Hope you get to watch it someday in the near future.
       I got to give it 4 out of 5 star ratings.

Cheers
                                                        Charlie

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Gran Prix
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2017, 04:11 pm »
Yep Charlie, a classic. Many years back, on TBS I believe, Bruce Dern had a 'show', Friday Night at the Drive In, I think the name was. He hosted his favorite movies with interviews of the actors, behind the scenes info etc, one of which was Grand Prix. He did a special on it, having Frankenheimer with him discussing all the various aspects of what it took to get the movie made, and film clips of how it was made. There is a video,  "Pushing the Limit, the Making of Grand Prix"   that's well worth checking out. If you can find the Dern - Frankenheimer interview it's a fun watch as well. I taped it on a VHS, subsequently burning to DVD, though I bought the DVD of the movie a while back.

A couple of items from the show/video - Frankenheimer did not want James Garner for the lead, he wanted Steve McQueen. He was busy at the time, and the studio wanted Garner. Brian Bedford didn't/couldn't drive a car, so all his shots were dolly or stand-in. One of the few movies I remember seeing in Cinerama.

Cheers    :beer: