St. Louis turntable dealers

Mike D

« on: 27 Nov 2004, 02:42 pm »
Who do I contact for the best deals on VPI and other tasty turntables in St. Louis?  I'm searching for a table/arm to replace my Pro-Ject 6.1 with its noisy motor and mid-fi arm.  

My cartridge is the addictive, yet hum-prone Grado Sonata.  

Audiogon has many a turntable/arm.  What tables/arms work with Grados?  

One of our esteemed GAS members had a VPI for sale.  Who was that?

Many thanks!

bmed

« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2004, 05:56 pm »
Hey Mike,

I don't know of any VPI dealers in STL, Chicago would be the closest.  

To tell you the truth, I've been considering selling my VPI rig (Scout/JMW9/Dyna10X5/SDS). (hhhiiisssssss, blashpemy).   It's a great rig that I enjoy, when I've had time to listen, which has continued to decline over the last year.

I need to think about it, but you're welcome to drop me a line to discuss if you're interested.  

In the meantime--somebody want to talk me out of dropping my vinyl?

Cheers,
Brad

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2004, 05:58 pm »
Tim at Best carries the rest of the Project line. Not sure if Tim has access to any other lines. The guys at MFP carry Linn, Rega and have access to Nottingham.

Unfortunately, Mike Pranka (Toffco) has backed out of the Rega distributorship. He might still have a demo table or two laying around. You may want to think about getting a Dynavector cartridge from him. The 10x5 is one heck of a cartridge for the money. Not sure if he's picked up another turntable line or not.

After that, I don't think anybody else would carry what you would  consider an upgrade to your Project.

Oh, you might check with Za at Alpha to see if he's got a used table on the floor.

I think it was Bosterkisco (Bob) that had the VPI for sale.

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2004, 07:00 pm »
Mike,
I bought mine from Larry at Hollywood Sound. He sold Sturgus his VPI gear also. Larry's a straight shooter and will set up the arm and cart for you before shipping. Check with him because he has a lot of used gear also.
steve

Mike D

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2004, 07:02 pm »
Thank you!  

What do you think about the Bottlehead Bix?  Maybe PM me if you'd feel more comfortable.   :oops:

Brad,  

I'm interested.  At this point, I'm interested in all options.  Your setup is tempting.  Maybe we could work a swap of tables and some money so you don't have to give up vinyl.  You'd hate yourself if you gave up vinyl.   :(