Time for a new headphone

milford3

Time for a new headphone
« on: 25 Feb 2017, 08:54 pm »
It's income tax return time.  The audiophile bug has bit me (again).  Looking for headphone user members that have headphones that they will not part with.  Price range will be about $1500.00.  I have both Ortho and dynamic cans so I know the different listening experience between the two types.  My headphone amp is the Shiit Lyr coupled with the Shiit MODI dac.   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Time for a new headphone
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2017, 09:15 pm »
If you own the T1 and an LCD1 there is no significant hp you should buy, unless the Orpheu$$ or an vintage refurb Orpheus, so imo forget this itch.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2017, 09:16 pm »
What cans do you currently have? What do you like/dislike about them?

I'm one of those nuts with an HE-6 powered off speaker amps, but they are rather hard to come by these days.

The Focal Elear is in your price range, or a Mr Speakers Ether Flow. You might consider an Audio Zenith PMx2 (highly modded Oppo PM2). Or you can dip your toe into electrostats. Just tossing out random suggestions  :green:

Or if you like your current cans, then upgrade the Schiit gear to the Bifrost Multibit and whatever amp floats your boat  :green:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2017, 10:19 pm »
How about a new headphone amp?
You have plenty of great cans already.

milford3

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2017, 11:31 pm »
So far I have narrowed it down to the Hifiman 650 or the Senn HD 800.

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2017, 11:57 pm »
How about a new headphone amp?
You have plenty of great cans already.

This is my suggestion as well.  However Milford3 is a headphone junkie with three rehab stints to no affect.  His Audio HMO won't pay for anymore visits. 

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2017, 12:01 am »
HD 800 and Audeze LCD-2 would be my recommendation. I loved the LCD-2.2 pre-fazor. That right there was perfect. Only headphone I regret selling. Perhaps the 2016 might be worth considering.

Also, I'm not sure what headphones you already own, but changing amp/dac's could also be worthwhile...especially for the HD 800. It will reflect any change, no matter how tiny.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2017, 12:05 am »
I suggest the HD800 for the large soundstage, the HE650 are cold, no warm as the original HE400, but you may check w/John.

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2017, 12:10 am »
I have the HD800 and though I have only put about 100 hours on it with the OPPO HA-1, it's pretty amazing!  I am down sizing so if interested let me know!

milford3

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2017, 12:21 am »
Sonny, PM sent.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2017, 02:02 am »
I picked up a pair of HD800's and with my Decware CSP2+ I'm
about done looking.
Hibuck....

milford3

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2017, 02:06 am »
Just ordered the Senn HD800's from Amazon.  Great price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OTZ8DA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2017, 01:53 am »
milford3- is your Modi the regular or multibit version? Having upgraded from the Modi to the Modi Multibit awhile back (I'll get around to doing a review soon), I can tell you that the Multibit is an order of magnitude more detailed (in fact, Schiit's sales pitch is "Honey, I shrunk the Bifrost."). While Modi is decent, I didn't realize how much I was missing before the upgrade. Any speaker/headphone is only as good as the signal fed to it. The Multibit quelled a fit of upgraditis that was brewing.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2017, 04:53 am »
That was quick!

Armaegis

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2017, 06:57 am »
I had a bit of a mixed reaction with the Modi Multibit. I got one and immediately thought "wow this is amazing!"... except then I sold it two weeks later.  Once the initial shine wore off, I just felt there there was this "haze" to the sound (and I'm not the first to remark on this). The tone was great, the definition and staging were right, but there was just something in there that didn't have the clarity I was looking for.

The Yggdrasil blew me away when I first heard it and it retained that on subsequent listens. I suspect in the Mimby it's just the limitations of space and power supply and how much they could cram into the analog portion of the circuit.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2017, 03:31 pm »
I would hope that the Yggdrasil would outperform the Modi Multibit- for nine times the price, it ought to. I wasn't implying that the MM was the best DAC out there, just that it is a significant improvement over the sigma-delta Modi (and probably quite a few, if not all, sigma-delta DACs.) I am a C&C audiophool so absent a Powerball intervention, there are likely no $2300 DACs in my foreseeable future.

Armaegis

« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2017, 04:00 pm »
Oh, I didn't meant to draw the comparison that way, nor imply that it couldn't compete. I was just simply pointing out my experience with the Mimby.

brooklyn

« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2017, 05:52 pm »
milford3- is your Modi the regular or multibit version? Having upgraded from the Modi to the Modi Multibit awhile back (I'll get around to doing a review soon), I can tell you that the Multibit is an order of magnitude more detailed (in fact, Schiit's sales pitch is "Honey, I shrunk the Bifrost."). While Modi is decent, I didn't realize how much I was missing before the upgrade. Any speaker/headphone is only as good as the signal fed to it. The Multibit quelled a fit of upgraditis that was brewing.

Thanks DB, owning a Modi 2 Uber myself, I was wondering if the Multibit version was worth it..
I may have to give it a shot..

Milford, I see that you have made a purchase, I hope you enjoy your new headphones. I have also
been looking for a new set of dynamic cans as a second pair to add to my HiFiMan HE-400i’s but not
really sure what to buy next.. Let us know what you think of your new headphones..

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2017, 09:00 pm »
The Mr. Speakers' Aeon that is coming out seems to be getting rave reviews on Head-fi and elsewhere.

http://audio-head.com/mrspeakers-aeon-review/

It is also worth noting that the HD800 are notoriously difficult to find a good amp match with. For example, the Schiit Jotenheim is thought to be a bit bright and forward for the HD800. Haven't followed those HD800 threads closely enough to be able to suggest a good pairing, but these (like the less efficient HiFiMan headphones for different reasons) can be tricky to find good matches.

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:16 am »
Hey I had a Modi Multibit but sold it. Never heard the Yggsrasil.