Case for AKSA 100 ?

wmeckle@qwest.net

• http://www.wmeckle.com
Case for AKSA 100 ?
« on: 26 Nov 2004, 03:08 pm »
Hi Gang:
    Am about to order a AKSA 100 and am looking at cases.
Looks like the Bud #NHC 14155 with interior diamensions of:
3.5" H X 13" D X 17" W would work fine. Any one used this case ?
Any issues ? Any suggestions ? Have looked at Hammond and Sescom
cases but Bud seems to be the best.
    Any additional comments welcome.

SamL

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2004, 02:58 am »
If you are getting the AKSA100, you should consider the stock AKSA case. It is slim line, look nice with all the hole pre-drilled.  You be surprise how many odd size holes the amp needs and the cost of drill head does add up very quickly. BTW, the squire hole for the power plug is the worse.
It may look like a simple task but planning and fitting the amp into a case is a lot more time consuming than soldering.

Have fun,
Sam

JoshK

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2004, 03:20 am »
Quote from: SamL
It may look like a simple task but planning and fitting the amp into a case is a lot more time consuming than soldering.

Have fun,
Sam

Amen to that one.  I built a simple tube preamp from a schematic.  It took me a month and a half of my free time to work the chassis will all the holes necessary.  Only took me an hour and a half to solder it up, and I hadn't done any DIY components before so I didn't really know what I was doing fully.    That said, it can be fun if you are patient and think of it as a hobby.  If you want it to work very soon, I highly recommend buying a prefabricated chassis with casework already done or subbing it out to a third party.

Lost81

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2004, 03:45 am »
I second what SamL said.

BTW, the squire hole for the power plug is the worse.

If your rear panel is not too thick, the Radio Shack Nibbler tool works.

Good luck!

Cheers,
-Lost81

zachslc

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2004, 05:08 am »
I got mine from par-metal.  I can't complain.  I called them and had them cut the IEC out for me.  The construction is heavy and sturdy.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=386

wmeckle@qwest.net

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2004, 03:43 pm »
If you are getting the AKSA100, you should consider the stock AKSA case. It is slim line, look nice with all the hole pre-drilled.  You be surprise how many odd size holes the amp needs and the cost of drill head does add up very quickly. BTW, the squire hole for the power plug is the worse.
Hi Sam:
     Looked on AKSA's Web site and don't see any cases, is my understanding we have to supply cases ?
     I have no problem with odd sized holes in a chassis, as I have access to a wide selection of chassis punches.
     Thanks for your reply.

wmeckle@qwest.net

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2004, 03:47 pm »
Quote from: zachslc
I got mine from par-metal.  I can't complain.  I called them and had them cut the IEC out for me.  The construction is heavy and sturdy.

Thanks for the Par-Metal tip, it looks like the best selection at the best price.  I'll be ordering from them. Thanks again.

JoshK

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2004, 03:49 pm »
You might also check with Lansing Enclosures.  They are apparently slightly better, similar price and a lot better service.   I have used the par-metal cases and am indifferent about them.  I will try Lansing in the future to compare.

zachslc

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2004, 06:02 pm »
The complaint I had with par metal was that they took a few weeks to ship the case.

SamL

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2004, 08:48 pm »
Quote from: [email]wmeckle@qwest.net[/email]
[Hi Sam:
     Looked on AKSA's Web site and don't see any cases, is my understanding we have to supply cases ?
     I have no problem with odd sized holes in a chassis, as I have access to a wide selection of chassis punches.
     Thanks for your reply.

This info is not well publish. To what I know Hugh only have a limited number (100+?) of these case made just to test the market. I am sure they are still avaialble but do check with him. You can see the photo of his stock case here.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=9264&start=0

Have fun,
Sam

wmeckle@qwest.net

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2004, 09:26 pm »
Quote from: [email]wmeckle@qwest.net[/email]
[Hi Sam:

This info is not well publish. To what I know Hugh only have a limited number (100+?) of these case made just to test the market. I am sure they are still avaialble but do check with him. You can see the photo of his  ...

Hi Sam:
     Hugh sent me a pix of his amp in his case (nice workmanship), but I wasn't aware it was for sale. However I need rack mount cabibility, and it'd be easier to obtain this from to get go, rather than make brackets later.
     Par-Metal cases look  the best bang for the bux to get what I want. Their 14 series look ideal for my uses.
     Thanks for the reply.

AKSA

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2004, 11:03 pm »
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the AKSA Forum!  You'll find a wealth of information here about building and using AKSAs, and everyone is delighted to share with you.  It's a wonderful resource, and when the going gets tougher, I offer my 2c as well.

In response to requests from local 100W AKSA customers (and remember I live on an elegant carbuncle on the bottom of the world, so this cannot apply viably to North American or European customers!), I designed and built a workmanlike case from 2mm steel, powder coated, which utilizes the heatsinks as sides.  You can see it here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=393

This case has caught the fancy of a number of constructors in Australia, and a couple in the US.  It is very expensive to ship to the US - around $US185 in fact - and to buy is $AUD330 ($US260) with the fancy machined heatsinks.  It's purpose built, so the assembly then becomes a breeze, and you could drive a small car over it without bending the panels.  The US Audition Amp uses this case.  But for obvious reasons I did not advertise this 'product' on the website.

I had 14 built, and have three left, but there are much more economical options in the States as shipping is certainly the killer.  The Lansing case looks good, in fact.

I hope this puts it in perspective.

Cheers,

Hugh

jules

Case for AKSA 100 ?
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2004, 01:30 am »
shocking shipping slug Hugh ... is that via Aust. post or a carrier? I had an ugly experience with UPS earlier this year when I was charged $99US [$130 AUD at the time] for an item identical to a later import for which I was charged $19US [including insurance] via US Post. In that case I could have tried twice at the lower rate and still been better off on the long chance that I lost the item [valued at $80US].

Can I reiterate my earlier warning here on a related matter? Aust. customs allows imports of up to only $250 [including the cost of postage] as duty/tax/GST free items IF they come through a courier. On the other hand it is possible to import goods to the value of $1,000 IF they come through the Aust. postal system [terminal].

jules