Vinyl or CD?

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
Vinyl or CD?
« on: 26 Nov 2004, 04:59 am »
Hey guys!

I have been on the search for an improved source for a while now.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card, very good sound quality - but I want to also have a player that plays REAL media.

I'm on a college student's budget (I live in an appartment, and not in a dorm room). I will be sending any source materials to a Perreaux SHX-1 revision .5 headphone amplifier, powering a pair of Grado SR225s.

I ask if I should get a turntable or a CD player. I tested out an NAD cd player at a local store (the C541i but it had a multi drive) and I was impressed with the resolution and impact the vocals had. I would really love to have this kind of effect on a turntable.

There are a few things bugging me about turntables:

1. The floor noise (the popping) - this could be due to the fact that my Micro Seiki is very old and when I listened to it, it hadn't been used in over twenty years.
2. I have a feeling that the midrange could be better than a CD, but the impact of bass and the highs may not be

However, I have a HUGE amount of vinyl available to me, all of which is from bands I really like. This would save me a lot of money in the long run of having to buy more music. All the Vinyl is also in very good condition.

So, is there any way of acheiving the sound I want in a turntable (let's say 500 dollars and under)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Andrew

R_burke

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2004, 04:38 pm »
on a tight budget I would recommend CD.  Vinyl is nice, but you need good equipment, both playing and care to get good benefit.  For equal amounts of money you can get more in the CD market than in the vinyl.

good luck, happy listening

rmihai0

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2004, 04:38 pm »
Andrew, go for vinyl and never look back. Look for a Thorens 125 with a good tonearm (a Shure maybe) and we will be in the same price range with NAD, but way better sound than ANY CD-player.

Enjoy the music

duff138

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2004, 06:10 pm »
with a turntable you'd have to buy a decent phono amp too.  I listen to CDs a lot more when I use headphones.

Adarsh

Which is Better?
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2005, 01:23 pm »
Straight to the point. Are you suggesting that Vinyl is better than CD? I mean in this digital age.

What do you think? Why is it better?

meby

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2005, 02:51 pm »
Vinyl is way better than CD save yourself that realization and listen to some vinyl before you invest in digital.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2005, 03:03 pm »
Quote from: meby
Vinyl is way better than CD save yourself that realization and listen to some vinyl before you invest in digital.

Be advised, Aman, that Meby's opinion is not universally held.   :wink:

Adarsh

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2005, 03:14 pm »
I understand that it seems easier to have a LP player if you've been collecting LPs for years, but there is no other reason to have such large and bulky ware if the sound quality is worse.

Levi

Re: Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2005, 04:05 pm »
Hello Aman,

Vinyl or CD?  They are both have advantages and disadvantages.  It all boils down to your personal taste and your access to which media.  I would suggest you get both!  My suggestion is based on your information below or above. :D   I understand that you are on a College budget but you already have an excellent Audio gear to start.  You may want to check Audiogon for better deals.  

Levi

Quote from: Aman
Hey guys!

I have been on the search for an improved source for a while now.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card, very good sound quality - but I want to also have a player that plays REAL media.

I'm on a college student's budget (I live in an appartment, and not in a dorm room). I will be sending any source materials to a Perreaux SHX-1 revision .5 headphone amplifier, powering a pair of Grado SR225s.

I ask if I should get a turntable or a CD player. I tested out an NAD cd player at a local  ...

Brad

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:25 am »
You can get a decent used table in that price range.

If the music you really want to listen to is available on vinyl, that's a huge advantage.   You already have your computer as a source for CD's.

There are a lot of pluses and minuses to each format.  I have both, but prefer the sound of vinyl.  It isn't as convenient, but the liner notes are much easier to read, especially as I approach 40  :o

Let us know what you decide....

lcrim

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2005, 04:10 am »
I like vinyl best but listen to CD, SACD as well as satellite music and can't imagine not having them all.  Vinyl is more trouble mostly because of record cleaning and for the truly compulsive, you can get into adjustments for every LP played but at the least- you have to get up and change the record every 25 minutes.  
A record cleaning machine is a near necessity to extend the life of your records and clear up the surface noise.  Vinyl is more like a relationship, you need to work at it.  It is not for everybody.  
Anyways, when all is said and done, $500 , starting from scratch, is a bit slim for good vinyl playback.   A phono pre, deck, tonearm, cart., cleaning apparatus, brushes etc. It all adds up.  Generally speaking, if you find you don't like it-sell it on Audiogon and you'll probably end up pretty close to even.  
About two and a half years ago, I was where you are and decided to give it a try and have been rewarded by an aspect of this hobby that has a  kind of historic aspect to it and at the same time can sound jaw dropping.

JoshK

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:47 pm »
start with a used deck/arm/cart and go from there if you do decide to try it out.  If you start used, you are more likely to loose less if you decide it isn't for you.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2005, 03:41 pm »
Take the LP's and put them away until you get out of school.  Stick to CDs until you have better control of who (and what state he/she is in) has access to your equipment.  Once, you settle down, start with a used system and check vinyl out.  Beware, you may get hooked.

Adarsh

Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2005, 08:49 pm »
I agree. There's nothing like being able to enjoy CD/ CD quality compressed audio. I mean, do you really think lugging old records is worth it in the 21st century? Forget it!

After all, technology gets better and better - don't oppose the flow.