Rogue tube amps with ProAc response 2.5 question

sunnydaze

Re: Rogue tube amps with ProAc response 2.5 question
« Reply #20 on: 9 Feb 2017, 06:42 pm »

I would also pull the speakers out in front of the new shelving so they are in front of the alcove.  This will allow you to move the speakers a bit to the right, which will minimize the interaction with the left half wall and also allow for a slightly wider placement.  You'll likely also want to treat the right corner.

:thumb:  I basically said the same.

roscoe65

« Reply #21 on: 9 Feb 2017, 08:11 pm »
:thumb:  I basically said the same.

Which means OP will get to ignore both of us!

Seriously though, there is a lot of personal preference in both this hobby and interior decor.  What may be a great choice to you or me might suck for someone else.  I recommended a layout that I would choose give that space.  My own LR/DR is loft-like (15' x 22' x 13' cathedral ceilings) with a 12' wide, 2' deep alcove on the front wall, similar to OP's.  I used wall-mounted ELFA shelving with a display mounted on the wall above it.  The front speakers flank the shelving and can be pulled out for two-channel use.

JakeJ

« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2017, 12:02 am »
Awesome advice gents!  Perhaps there is some WAF involved here too.  I agree you have an amazing and cool space to work with and may require some thinking outside the box.  What about placing the speakers on a 45 degree angle pointing out into the main space?

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2017, 03:40 am »
Hi Jake.....

Nice idea.  When I saw OP's pics I had the same thought.  His room is similar to one I was once in that was quite the acoustic challenge --  NYC loft-like space, open layout,  tall ceilings,  system setup in alcove.   Just as you suggest, I set the speakers up across a corner firing diagonally into the room.  I got great results.

But the OP seems quite reticent to pull speakers forward even a coupla feet -- something to me that seems quite doable without disruption to either living or aesthetic -- so I assume there are some inhibiting WAF factors.   Figuring it would be a major no go, I didn't bother mentioning the diagonal set-up as a possibility.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb 2017, 04:44 am »
Awesome advice gents!  Perhaps there is some WAF involved here too.  I agree you have an amazing and cool space to work with and may require some thinking outside the box.  What about placing the speakers on a 45 degree angle pointing out into the main space?

interesting. I will look at this.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2017, 04:57 am »
Just saw your pics.....nice looking place!    Tall ceilings, open plan.  Love it.   :thumb:

What part of town?   I lived in the West Village for 10 years.

Your space is much bigger than I imagined from initial pic.  So I now sense it can accommodate something bigger than I initially thought.  But you gotta be able to bring speakers forward towards listener!  Any reason you can't?   I don't see a doorway.  It doesn't look like an area of foot traffic that would be blocked.  It doesn't look like anything would be blocked.  TBH, I see no practical reason to not bring them closer.  Is it strictly a visual preference or WAF issue?

Personally, I'd love to have your space.  I'd have a ball playing around with different speakers and placements.  Then again, I'm single so I can do whatever I want.

Looks to me like you have plenty of room to bring speakers towards listener.   If possible, I'd locate them about where the box is on the L wall.....right about where the half wall ends.  That would eliminate any sidewall reflections on that side.   You'd still have a R sidewall, but it would actually be further away than speaker's current location in that kindof "alcove".  Maybe just a GIK panel (or something similar) on that wall.  May not even need any treatment. 

This should really open up your soundstage.  Depth, width and image secificity should improve noticeably.   It would also help relieve any bass overload problems.

Increasing speaker distance to front wall means you will be closer to drivers.  This means complex multi-driver speakers will not work so well.  They need some distance to listener to blend properly, and produce a coherent soundfield. 

This more nearfield listening position means more direct sound / less reflected sound ==> more purity, less smearing.  Take the room out of play.  You may also find you don't need as large a speaker as when you sit further away.  You may be able to put your sub back into the area where your speakers have vacated.

Personally, I would try this first with current gear before buying another speaker.   Never heard Salks but based on their reputation, I'm fearful that the options you are considering may be a lateral or backwards move......at least in terms of upper bass on up.

If you are able to position the Proacs as I've suggested, what is distance from baffle to wall behind them?  To my eye it looks about 3 or 4 feet?  If so, there's a good chance they will work nicely.

Are you saying that when you use your Rhythmic sub with your Songtowers your have indadequate LF response?

Lots of comments and questions. Let me try to answer..

Yes I can bring the speaker forward. I just now moved the Salks forward so that the rear of the speaker is 20" from wall and baffle is 32" from wall. ALready sounds better, thanks folks..
 If I had the ProAcs for instance I could get them 35" from baffle to wall. Sound good? (this is not as far forward as you suggest- where the box is by the L wall is 5ft from the wall)
(I have 2 rambunctious boys running around so much more into the room is inviting trouble!)

Re Sub. I had toyed with losing it (simplifying my life) but I will hold onto it for now. Plenty of LF with the sub, but I only set it at 50hz and down.

Re my location- Long island City..

The Salk are indeed terrific . But I have the itch for a change, just the nature of this hobby.. the Proacs when I heard them once had thunderous bass and immense soundstage. Agreed that my set up restricts their impact however

Bigfishhk

« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2017, 04:58 am »
interesting. I will look at this.

And thanks for the diagram, very cool.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2017, 05:05 am »
That image puts things in a different perspective.  You are trying to fill a pretty large volume of space.  Monitors may not fit the bill.  At the same time, you need to be neighbor-friendly.  Those two factors tell me you should be looking at sensitive floor standers.  I would also be looking at changing the layout a bit.  I think you can do this without sacrificing much space.

Speakers:

I am biased, but I would look at the new Omega 1.5 way speakers.  These run about 97 or 98 dB efficiency with good midbass output.  A lot of time when we want "bass weight" we really want midbass weight.  Louis offers a 30 home trial, and since he is just up the tracks in Connecticut you may even be able to audition them (there are also a few of us locally who own Omega speakers).  The advantage of these is that you don't have to crank them to 11 to get dynamics and impact.

Layout:

I would treat the small alcove as a built-in shelving unit.  I do this in my own living room and have painted it dark as a background to my HT setup.  It looks great.  Run the shelves from the sidewall to sidewall of the alcove.  It will give you a lot of shelf space and allow you to wall mount some room treatments behind the speakers.  Your room is very big and very live.  You will probably benefit from treating the wall in the immediate area of the speakers, including the sidewall next to the left speaker.

I would also pull the speakers out in front of the new shelving so they are in front of the alcove.  This will allow you to move the speakers a bit to the right, which will minimize the interaction with the left half wall and also allow for a slightly wider placement.  You'll likely also want to treat the right corner.

more interesting thoughts, much appreciated. if you are able to post a pic of your room , the shelving approach etc, it'd be useful.

not sure how much I actually want to change the room around, build shelving etc, but you never know.

Right now my 1st step is to move the speakers forward so they are almost 3ft from baffle to wall. the left speaker still has a side wall but the right one now clears the alcove.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2017, 05:43 am »

If I can persuade my better half this would be really pretty nifty.. thanks for the nice diagram!

JakeJ

« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2017, 06:13 am »
Hi backatcha, John, good to see you here again.

Tom, OK adding family does require compromises.  Makes sense with two young boys to tuck the speakers out of the way.  Are you spiking the speakers (either pair)?  Another thought is to mount rubber casters on them so you can roll them out for listening and tuck away when not in use,  Quality rubber casters will do a fair job of decoupling the speakers from the floor reducing sound transmission to the apt below where as spiking couples but also typically improves bass tightness and focus.

I agree also that you are better off working with room treatments that will pass muster with the wife.  However I also understand that an opportunity missed is just that and if the ProAcs are a great deal then get 'em and worry about acoustics later.  My mental justification would be, "Hmm...now that I've sold the Salks I can get those GIK panels that look like art."  But I should talk as I have just taken a long ride on the upgrade train and sorely need to treat my own acoustic nightmare.  There is the possibility that I will move to a larger space soon so my room will grow in size and it's better acoustically to start with.  Not to steal you thunder but I'm having incredible good fun right now and the only impedance is work.  Hey I made a pun!

Hope this helps

PS - That sketch is in Visio and I banged it out in about 10 minutes.  The thing I like most is the fact that you can set the scale to the real world and your drawing comes out such that you can see how different arrangements will or won't work.  A real time saver!

sunnydaze

« Reply #30 on: 10 Feb 2017, 06:16 am »
Lots of comments and questions. Let me try to answer..

Yes I can bring the speaker forward. I just now moved the Salks forward so that the rear of the speaker is 20" from wall and baffle is 32" from wall. ALready sounds better, thanks folks..
 If I had the ProAcs for instance I could get them 35" from baffle to wall. Sound good? (this is not as far forward as you suggest- where the box is by the L wall is 5ft from the wall)
(I have 2 rambunctious boys running around so much more into the room is inviting trouble!)

Re Sub. I had toyed with losing it (simplifying my life) but I will hold onto it for now. Plenty of LF with the sub, but I only set it at 50hz and down.

Re my location- Long island City..

The Salk are indeed terrific . But I have the itch for a change, just the nature of this hobby.. the Proacs when I heard them once had thunderous bass and immense soundstage. Agreed that my set up restricts their impact however

Understood about the boys....

Almost 3' out should be good, but I can't be 100% sure.  Just gotta try it.  Sorry.

And I agree, the 2.5 have a spacious and impactful sound.......much greater than one would expect from the non-imposing size of both cabinet and drivers.

The weight, punch and impact that you seek will not be delivered by your sub.  It resides in the mid and upper bass....way above your 50 hz sub setting.   At that setting the sub will give you reach, but not much visceral slam.  If sub plays cleanly at a higher setting (say 100 - 120 hz) and still blends with mains, you will get more of what you seek.

sunnydaze

« Reply #31 on: 10 Feb 2017, 06:16 am »
Self serving post......

You want big slamming impactful sound to fill up that big space?  Consider my Vaughns.   I'm about 40 minutes from you.   No sub needed with these beasts!     :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142417.msg1580387#msg1580387

roscoe65

« Reply #32 on: 10 Feb 2017, 01:44 pm »
more interesting thoughts, much appreciated. if you are able to post a pic of your room , the shelving approach etc, it'd be useful.

not sure how much I actually want to change the room around, build shelving etc, but you never know.

Right now my 1st step is to move the speakers forward so they are almost 3ft from baffle to wall. the left speaker still has a side wall but the right one now clears the alcove.

I'm at work so only have a couple of shots on my phone from when I was first setting up the room.  forgive the mess:

The dark wall has a 65" display mounted to it.  Below are Elfa shelving that mount by a track system.  The alcove is 12 feet wide and shelving is 90" wide.  This leaves a little more than 2 feet on each side in which speakers can rest when not in use or when used for HT use.  For critical listening I can pull them out from the wall (I have hardwood floors so they sit on a pair of carpet tiles that I can pull out).

I ultimately need to position surround and height speakers as well as a more artwork, necessary to maintain domestic harmony.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #33 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:08 pm »
Self serving post......

You want big slamming impactful sound to fill up that big space?  Consider my Vaughns.   I'm about 40 minutes from you.   No sub needed with these beasts!     :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142417.msg1580387#msg1580387

thanks. these are out of my price range.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #34 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:11 pm »

The dark wall has a 65" display mounted to it.  Below are Elfa shelving that mount by a track system.  The alcove is 12 feet wide and shelving is 90" wide.  This leaves a little more than 2 feet on each side in which speakers can rest when not in use or when used for HT use.  For critical listening I can pull them out from the wall (I have hardwood floors so they sit on a pair of carpet tiles that I can pull out).

[/quote]

nice, see what you mean now, although can't quite make out the shelves in the pic.. thanks again

Bigfishhk

« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:19 pm »

[/quote]

Arfe those Kai Kristiansen mid century Danish chairs? cause they look very like mine!! (sorry to veer into non audio territory here!)

Bigfishhk

« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:24 pm »

The weight, punch and impact that you seek will not be delivered by your sub.  It resides in the mid and upper bass....way above your 50 hz sub setting.   At that setting the sub will give you reach, but not much visceral slam.  If sub plays cleanly at a higher setting (say 100 - 120 hz) and still blends with mains, you will get more of what you seek.

I have tried and failed to integrate the sub at about 80hz. I just don't know how to set it. Each time I try the bass is way too loud, and my various tweakings never quite got it satisfactory. A smarted person I'm sure would have better luck.

roscoe65

« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:29 pm »

Arfe those Kai Kristiansen mid century Danish chairs? cause they look very like mine!! (sorry to veer into non audio territory here!)

No.  They are a France and Sons knockoff of a Wegner Kennedy chair.  They are $200 quality, not $400 quality. 

roscoe65

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:31 pm »

nice, see what you mean now, although can't quite make out the shelves in the pic.. thanks again

https://www.containerstore.com/s/elfa/best-selling-solutions/living/driftwood-platinum-elfa-media-center/123d?productId=10024076

roscoe65

« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:33 pm »
I have tried and failed to integrate the sub at about 80hz. I just don't know how to set it. Each time I try the bass is way too loud, and my various tweakings never quite got it satisfactory. A smarted person I'm sure would have better luck.

There are those who feel that it is easier to integrate a sub when it is connected at the speaker level.  I'm not sure if your Rhythmik has only line lever or both line level and speaker level inputs.