BCD-3

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
BCD-3
« on: 4 Feb 2017, 12:15 am »

The two rails on the drawer in the website picture of the bcd3 looks to be of metal). This looks like the old, and very smooth, tray of my old Sony ES 700. I loved that Sony for that smooth and slick tray movement. I know it matters little to the overall sound but it was  a pleasant thing to see operate .... made me feel I had a well made player. I love my BCD-1 but the the tray is disappointingly plastic sounding in it's movement...so is this new  Bryston player more like the  Sony in that way ?  :  thanks  to anyone who knows..... : :thumb: :D

rmurray

Re: BCD-3
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2017, 12:33 am »
Yes , ..I think it was mentioned earlier what the drive was but I don't recall if it was one like you had in the Sony....hope so :thumb:

Hicham

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2017, 07:42 pm »
Back in June 2016, Mr Tanner said the following:

I agree the older Phillips tray was a bit clunky but when you play a CD the CD is lifted out of the tray for playback so alignment is always accurate for the laser to track the CD. 

The new drive is much better and has a very fluid mechanical action to it.  It is also a metal tray whereas the Phillips was a plastic tray.

Hicham

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2017, 07:53 pm »
The exact number of the SONY Disc Mechanism used - as Mr Tanner stated in July 2016 -:

SONY KHM313

redbook

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2017, 08:31 pm »
  Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2017, 08:38 pm »
Here's a good shot of the drive - it is a metal drive with metal side rods and very fluid.

redbook

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2017, 08:42 pm »
thanks James.... :thumb: By the way is the regular display light color still green.? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2017, 09:12 pm »
thanks James.... :thumb: By the way is the regular display light color still green.? :scratch:

Yes green is standard - blue is available but its not a deep blue - it is more an aqua blue.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2017, 11:22 pm »
Leafs blue would be better....a premium option?   :green: :lol:

rmurray

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2017, 05:10 pm »
  Love those side rods.nice job... Now I'm wondering about  how this new player compares to the bcd1 in overall performance. Has anyone compared them so far?.... :scratch:

gtaphile

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:13 pm »
  Love those side rods.nice job... Now I'm wondering about  how this new player compares to the bcd1 in overall performance. Has anyone compared them so far?.... :scratch:

The bigger question really is can the BCD-3 be better than a BDP-2/BDA-2 combo?   

rmurray

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:38 pm »
 Yes , but I want an  all in one player..so that's why I need to know the direct comparison :thumb:

gtaphile

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2017, 08:15 pm »
Yes , but I want an  all in one player..so that's why I need to know the direct comparison :thumb:

What I am trying to say is that it wouldn't be worth the discussion......the BCD-3 is an evolution of the BCD-1 taking advantage of the knowledge, circuitry and higher performance gained from developing the BDP-2 from the BDP-1, the BDA-3 from the BDA-2. Each of those products sound marginally (for some much) better then their predecessor. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2017, 09:26 pm »
What I am trying to say is that it wouldn't be worth the discussion......the BCD-3 is an evolution of the BCD-1 taking advantage of the knowledge, circuitry and higher performance gained from developing the BDP-2 from the BDP-1, the BDA-3 from the BDA-2. Each of those products sound marginally (for some much) better then their predecessor.

True indeed. Evolution. Although I have not listened to the current generation of BDA-3 and BCD-3, I am convinced (and pleased) that there is a Bryston "house sound" that is maintained consistently throughout their gear progenies -- neutral, highly transparent, and accurate.

I'm very happy with my -1 series of BDA/BDP/BCD.
Comparisons may bring forth some differences, but they will all be system(owner-)-specific.

redbook

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2017, 11:17 pm »
 So has anyone had the chance to compare the two players?   bcd1/bcd3.... :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2017, 02:07 am »
So has anyone had the chance to compare the two players?   bcd1/bcd3.... :thumb:

I haven't compared them directly, I compared the BCD-1 to BDA-1. With volume level matched the output sounded the same to me, so I sold my BCD-1.

So comparing the BCD-3 using my SP2 in bypass mode to Yamaha MG10 mixer the BDA-1, BDP-1 and SP2 in digital stereo mode(stereo mode is slightly better in bass resolution than bypass) to Yamaha MG10 mixer. I would say the BCD-3 in a more refined in transparency. But how well the BCD-3 sounds depends on the quality of the cd mix. If the cd mix is good there is nothing I have heard that surpasses the output in terms of transparency I'm hearing.  :smoke:

If you know how to transfer wav files to cd. You can compile your own cd mix and compare the BCD-3 to a BDP-1/2, just make sure you have the volume control adjusted down first.